logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 31, 2003 1:45:11 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hi everyone, I am not only looking for the ingredients, but I would like to know the maceration/distillation process too. I know, it sounds like a tall order, but SOMEONE has to know!!
#2 Posted : Monday, July 28, 2003 1:30:13 PM(UTC)

I just checked it out! type absinthe into a search engine and go from there. Seems like some kick-ass stuff! let me know what you find out
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 29, 2003 1:36:50 PM(UTC)

#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 06, 2003 12:35:42 PM(UTC)

Got it thanks!
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2003 9:09:09 AM(UTC)

I grow wormwood in the back 40 and use it in hooch, bier and metheglin. Lovely psychotropic stuff.
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 16, 2003 9:13:44 AM(UTC)

Back 40? What does that mean? How much do you use in your recipes?
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 25, 2003 7:27:29 AM(UTC)

how do you use the wormwood in your hooch? is it as simple as soaking it like a peach in your stuff? Also, what's it like, really? i've heard stories but nothing really. would love to try some
#8 Posted : Thursday, December 25, 2003 11:42:26 AM(UTC)

muscles and chips??
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 24, 2004 8:13:58 AM(UTC)

If you want normal =30mg thujone never soak more than 12 to 24 hours.If you want Van Gorg let it soak for 0ne month but this is POISON =250mg thujone.I soak once for 36 hours and i tell you after two glass you cannot drive.hummmm
Slemmy.
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 01, 2004 9:15:35 AM(UTC)

It sounds like this stuff actually works.

I ordered all the herbs i needed a few days ago thinking it was more hype than fact.

What is it like?
Is the buzz like a mushroom thing?
#11 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2004 2:22:03 AM(UTC)

Hi, I am wondering about mash PH. I make a corn maize mash with white sugar and have trouble getting a complete ferment. I clears out fine bvut ussually ends up being sweet. Heard that adjusting the ph of mash with citric acid could help the get a more complete ferment. What PH is perfect?
Thanks
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 21, 2004 2:59:00 AM(UTC)

With the corn in your recipe, you will need to mash out in order to convert all of the starches into fermentable sugars. For this, you will need a source of Amylase Enzyme ,usually from malted barley,, and do a rest at 152-158 degrees F. If you are going to allow extra time for fermentation, and depending on the amount of corn, you may be able to get away without mashing by adding AG and Amylase along with your yeast. If you choose to mash, we offer a pH adjuster that will keep your mash at 5.2pH, which is optimal for the mashing process.
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2005 11:33:25 AM(UTC)

i just ordered essences both absinthe and wormwood because you are supposed to combine them to get the effect... i was wondering if because u are using 2 essences that u have to add it to more then 750ml or just add both into the 750ml
#14 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2005 1:03:00 PM(UTC)

No- in order to obtain the extremely high-end results that we intended with the two bottle mix, you will make it to a total of 750ml. I would also suggest using 70% abv as a base.
#15 Posted : Thursday, October 06, 2005 12:26:59 PM(UTC)

I know this is an old thread, but with some intense research, I have the ultimate absinth recipe:
Take the recipe for 'Fine Absinthe' from the English translation for Duplais 4th edition at www.oxygenee.com/absinthe-BOOKS4.html ,of course divide everything by a factor of 100,. Use the EZ Still ,available on this site, for the distillation process, and a muslin bag maceration for the 'coloring' process. Quality herbs can be purchased through www.wildroots.com, or pre-mixed kits ,for more $$, from www.greendevil.com. Use your own distilled alcohol or pre-made nuetral spirits to achieve the proper initial ABV. Since your using a maceration with pre-distilled spirits, you may want to forgo the carbon filtration ,I'm not sure if thujone might be filtered out by activated carbon,. Of course I have read ,on other sites, that the combo of essences offered on this site make a pretty accurate absinthe [ordinaire]. I have ordered some of these so I will let y'all know if they measure up.
#16 Posted : Saturday, October 08, 2005 9:08:43 AM(UTC)

I would like to point out to any would be absinthe makers to keep in mind that to make absinthe, avoid using common fennel, foeniculum vulgare ,the type that is purchased in a store or spice shop, and make sure that what you are using is Florence fennel, foeniculum vulgare/azoricum. The difference between these two seeds, in terms of flavor, is like night and day. Common fennel, if used instead of Florence fennel, will impart a very undesireable camphor-like flavor to the absinthe. Also, do NOT use common wormwood ,absinthium,in the coloring step. Make sure that only true Roman wormwood ,A.pontica, is used, otherwise you will be stuck with a product that has little in common flavor wise with true absinthe and will be horribly bitter. Also, if the Green devil product is purchased, even if distilled, it will not make absinthe. Products such as these are made by the uninformed for the uninformed.
#17 Posted : Sunday, October 09, 2005 1:09:12 PM(UTC)

Zman seems to know his herbs. Since the point of this thread was to share an absinthe recipe and process, I pointed out one that I had tried with acceptble ,although unremarkable, results. I've been fortunate to sample many products ranging from undrinkable to sublime. The Green Devil method I mentioned [distilling] will actually fall in the middle of that scale, but I do believe that if you follow the recipe at the oxygenee website I linked above using quality ingredients ,and of the proper species, you can produce a high quality absinthe. Zman, perhaps you have a recipe and some insight as to where one can obtain quality ingredients.

While it is definately important to use Artemisia Pontica ,Roman Wormwood,for the flavoring process from both a flavor and a thujone standpoint, technically common wormwood or Artemisia Absinthium MUST be used as a base ,preferibly pre-distillation ,and with a grape based alcohol,, to be actually considered absinthe. And weather you like it or not, any product containing it IS absinthe. Maybe not one you would particularly enjoy, but I don't believe 'newbie' asked for a recipe Zman would approve of, but simply a recipe. I on the other hand believe you and I have the same taste, and your knowledge of ingredients leads me to believe you may be holding out. Give up the recipe! Or do you simply buy your absinthe? ,in which case you're in the wrong forum,.

P.S. La Fee, Oxygenee, and Pernod all use oil mixes which are quite above average ,and popular,. However I much prefer Nouvelle Orleans, Absinthe Edouard, or Verte Suisse which [admittedly] probably have never touched a drop of essence of any kind.
#18 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2005 3:40:16 PM(UTC)

Thujone has no relevance in any discussion of absinthe. Try doing a little more research

http://www.absintheonline.com/acatalog/about.html
#19 Posted : Saturday, October 15, 2005 5:15:36 PM(UTC)

Zman is correct.
Correct herbs ,like fennel, make the drink.
A. Pontica in the coloration, A.Artemsia in the initial maceration. Keep in mind that the quality of herbs will play an important role in the flavors imparted. As for the psychotropic effects.. or a relation to thujone content and tripping? Forget it. It's a myth.

As for 'recipe'. Is absinthe qualified as 'any anise based liqueur with A.artemsia in it'? If so, then yeah, those bullshit online herb packets are absinthe; and so was the chemical and methanol laced shite they tried to pawn off on the poor in the 1890's.
If you want something resembling the great absinthes of the belle epoch then do yourself a favor and check out the historical recipes from Bedel and Duplais at http://feeverte.net.
#20 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2005 3:11:37 PM(UTC)

Icarus: Sorry, poorly written I admit. Any distillation of common wormwood ,Artemisia Absinthium, flavored with a blend of other herbs namely fennel, anise, hyssop - hundreds of variations on these - will make a beverage called Absinthe ,Artemisia ABSINTHIUM,. This doesn't mean I would personally drink them or reccomend them. There have been numerous versions by many manufacturers over many years. Even the very particular Absinthe lovers recognize four 'grades' Ordinaire, semi-fine, fine, and suisse. Czech Absinthe tastes like crap and shouldn't be drunk, yet I believe it is still absinthe ,even the ones that are merely macerations,. It's like saying Manhattan clam chowder isn't really clam chowder because it is tomato based - says who? Tastes are different. Green Devil herb packets don't work by themselves, but they contain the raw inredients that could make ,with distillation and some modifications, an acceptable product. I see you referencing some of the same recipes as did I above. You must see that they are all virtually the same combination of herbs - give or take. I heartily agree that quality of herbs is crucial. The herb suppliers I mentioned are probably not the best source, but the recipes are right on.

As for Thujone, Sonoman. Many would dissagree with your statement. Although most 'classic' pre ban ,quality, absinthes have very little thujone content, again, there are many kinds and many tastes. Thujone has a scientifically documented effect on brain activity ,no hallucinations - sorry,. It may have no significance in the quality or with the types and brands you like, but is an integral part of the absinthe topic overall. Throughout the world Absinthe has evolved ,or de-evolved as the specific case may be,over time, but having choices makes it great. Try being a little more open minded.