logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

3 Pages<123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#21 Posted : Saturday, November 19, 2005 1:57:36 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Here is a recipe adapted from an old protocall.

Macerate and distill:
25g A. absinthium
60g Anise seed
60g Sweet fennel seed,Firenze or similar,
10g A. pontica
10g Hyssop
5g Lemon Balm
1ltr ABV85%
.5ltr H2o

color w/:

5g pontica
5g hyssop
2g lemon balm

This will produce a very yummy Absinthe if done properly.

As far as Thujone goes, Sonnoman and Icarus are both known to be amoung the top experts in the world when it comes to all things Absinthe. Their statements about thujone are largely correct. Perhaps it is you, K. Dunn that needs to have a more open mind.
#22 Posted : Sunday, January 01, 2006 1:28:08 PM(UTC)

hey...where, on the net, would one find this sweet fennel seed? I'm having trouble finding the right kind. Is the fennel on wildroots the right kind?
#23 Posted : Sunday, January 01, 2006 1:31:01 PM(UTC)

Also, where would one buy roman wormwood? I already grow common wormwood, but cannot find anywhere to buy roman on the net.
#24 Posted : Wednesday, January 04, 2006 1:16:03 PM(UTC)

How can someone say 'maybe it is you... that needs to have a more open mind' after saying there's only one opinion that is correct with reguards to thujone? I have said several times on this forum that quality 'classic' absinthe has virtually no thujone. There are many types. Apparently the argument is what has the right to be called 'Absinthe', and that the 'unworthy immitations' are whoring up the pure world of Absinthe. Who [besides Optimalsmarts] says 'Sonnoman and icarus are known to be among the top experts in the world when it comes to all things Absinthe.' - known by who? The original recipe for absinthe is said to be purchased by Major Dubied from the Henriod sisters who adapted it from a recipe from Dr, Pierre Ordinare...blah blah balh! My point is it [the recipe] changed hands and went through many incarnations before it ever became marketed as an apertif by Pernod. Maybe he should have called it something else? The earliest [known] elixer called absinthe was a maceration of herbs and oils intended to help a variety of digestive problems...I'm glad those folks kept an open mind when Pernod made it a more palletable and flavorful beverage ,or does it matter? A rose by any other name...,

If you give a rat's dick over thujone [personally, I donnot] than you must accept you are not going to get a tastey drink. There are a lot of people cool with that - thus all the success in the Czech market.

Myself, after my second bottle of Jade's Absinthe Edouard, I will drink no other ,well maybe one or two...,

Zman will always remain my hero in the absinthe industry.

Theory: I think sonnoman, Icarus, and optimalsmarts are all the same person!
#25 Posted : Wednesday, January 11, 2006 3:36:45 PM(UTC)

raSman, sorry about the petty stuff above. I forgot for a second that this forum was to share info and knowledge. Wildroots, although a wealth of herbs and essential oils, has few of the actual ingredients you need to make quality absinthe ,I know I've mentioned dubious sources for herbs in this very thread, and I apologize to all,. The correct fennel is of course Florence Fennel ,or Foeniculum vulgare Azoricum, and is very hard to obtain. Roman Wormwood ,artemisia pontica, is probably just as hard. However, you can buy the seeds to grow your own Florence Fennel at http://www.gardenguides.com. Roman wormwood I am still researching. Everything else is fairly easy to find the trick is getting quality herbs over the internet - kind of a gamble. Growing your own seems to be the best bet with reguards to quality control. I will let you know if I find anything else useful on the A. Pontica.
#26 Posted : Saturday, January 14, 2006 4:38:31 AM(UTC)

I've found a single source for everything! It seems this place sells every plant species imaginable. Mostly potted plants and seeds although some dry herbs. Great for starting your own absinthe garden.
it is:
http://home.frognet.net/~complants/secure/
#27 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2006 3:50:51 PM(UTC)

Just a note to let you know a little about Companion Plants. What they are claiming to be as 'Dwarf Roman Wormwood' ,Artemisia pontica-nana, is not true Roman Wormwood. At least it wasn't when I purchased a few plants from them a couple of years ago. What I bought bears a strong resmemblance to RW, and I even think it is a type of artemisia, but definitely NOT true RW. I even emailed them about it but did not get the decency of a reply from them. I have no idea about the other plants they are offering.
#28 Posted : Sunday, January 15, 2006 5:51:57 PM(UTC)

Can someone please turn K. Dunn off for a while?
#29 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2006 2:04:14 PM(UTC)

Hey unregistered guest, that's not nice. I'm also an unregisterd guest but thats only because I haven't taken th' time to do it yet, an I see you are also signing in as unregistered. Point is, we are just guests here and as such we really don't have any 'braggin rights' or any territorial hold here, so be nice to ol' K.Dunn and put up with him. Hey, I'm sure some of you guys get tired of me and ya know what, that just may apply to you too! So lets be nice.
Spititmaker
Yeah, I'm still illigimate ,unregistered,, but I'm gonna fix that soon!
#30 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2006 3:57:28 PM(UTC)

I'm already tired of you and appearantly you didn't notice that K.Dunn is also unregistered and ---- you anyway you probably are K.Dunn 'cause I can't really see anyone else sticking up for that jerk know-it-all know-nothing. Maybe you didn't actually read the forum and if you had you'd wanna shut him up too. Spiritmaker....yeah sure buddy, moonshine only counts with rednecks and hillbillies. You know what? I want K.Dunn back 'cause your a bigger idiot yet. How's that for nice you dumb ----?! Next time keep your mouth shut.
#31 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2006 4:15:05 PM(UTC)

Wow, lot of animosity around here.
#32 Posted : Monday, January 16, 2006 5:55:15 PM(UTC)

I don't post all that much, but I must say that this Unregistered guest is a fool. How can anyone be rude to Spiritmaker?! He's always here to help people, and I don't think he's done anything to deserve the things that this Unregistered guest has said about him.

I think everything would be much better if folks like you, Unregistered guest, would find some place else to dwell.
#33 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2006 2:08:53 PM(UTC)

Thanks Zman for the info on the A. Pontica from companion plants. I was about to order some. Do you know a good source?

I know I've been painfully verbose and off base on a few key points. This forum and the many quality sites referenced here have helped me learn. Zman, Hiram, and a couple of others here really know their stuff. I will stop attempting to contribute since I have offended so many ,or perhaps all the same person - who knows,, but if no one objects, I would like to post links to places I come across that may be of interest and maybe the occasional question for Zman who always enlightens.

Spiritmaker has contributed numerous times on this forum - he is certainly not me. I'm sorry spirit that I may have caused this backlash to spill over to you.

I've registerd by the way ;,
#34 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2006 2:14:33 PM(UTC)

See
#35 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2006 2:36:54 PM(UTC)

Hey Ken dont run off because one person wants to ruin everything for the rest of the group. I dont think anyone else really cares what he thinks anyway Randy
#36 Posted : Tuesday, January 17, 2006 6:57:48 PM(UTC)

Yeah I see you're still an idiot Kenneth. I didn't want to ruin it for the rest of you I just figured everyone was tired of hearing from him as well but since morons seem to run in packs I'm leaving this forum. You can all listen to K. till he wholeheartedly convinces you to drink some poison he read was good somewhere. If any of you responds to this post it will only be amongst yourselves.
#37 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2006 1:10:43 AM(UTC)

By all means post links that you find Ken, this is why we are here, to learn form others and to share what we learn. Everyone gets cross once in a while and is no reason to stop talking to us, hell us rednecks, hillbillys, hicks, shiners and ole dogs need someone to talk to, wives sure as hell don't listen anymore!!!!!!!! Jimbull
#38 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2006 10:33:13 AM(UTC)

Jimbull, I agree with 100%.
#39 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2006 11:27:16 AM(UTC)

Thanks guys. I was never cross with anybody, not even with unregistered guest and his many incarnations. I was just a little embarrassed looking back at all the writing I did to see very little actual contribution to the cause. He was an ass about it, but unregistered guest had a point. I know I run off at the mouth and probably come across as a know-it-all when I really know nothing but trivia, and actually came here to learn how to make a drink I love a lot. I will definately keep it more concise and I'm sorry to everyone about contributing to all the 'hatin''

Thanks,
until I have something useful.....
#40 Posted : Wednesday, January 18, 2006 11:35:34 AM(UTC)

Sooo......I see it's been asked already but has anyone found any source for the true A. pontica in any form ,dried, fresh, live, yet? Is anyone growing any that maybe would send a clipping to sprout or a rooted branch perhaps? I'd be more than happy to cover shipping of course.