logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

7 Pages<12345>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline John Barleycorn  
#41 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 8:40:33 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hi Alli,

Quote:
JB - At the end of version .3 you included a list to things that we might want to say and not say when talking to congressmen/women. I did not copy it. Can you resend it for us to use when dicussing this legislation?.

It's in the final version (1.0) as well ... I just moved it into the introduction chapter ... I figured it made more sense to state where we wanted to go first, then follow with how we can get there.

--JB"
Offline Maddawgs  
#42 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 10:17:03 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Alli Go to Quoted Post
Hokey,

Below is a list of talking points that John published in version .2 that will give you a place to start. I found the name of the aid that specializes in commerce in Senator Jim Kaine's office (D) -Virginia. I sent him the proposed legislation along with a letter giving him some background on hobby distilling - I included a piece about the TTD demand letter to the sellers, that wine/beer making is legal and distilling that very same product is not, that we are not criminals and are not selling moonshine. I added that the original list of customer's names to the TTD is estimated to be 90,000 and that the intended purpose for collecting these names is unknown to the general public.

Since the hobby distilling community is not an oganized lobby and we don't have a million dollars to hire a bunch of laywers, I would hope that everyone on this forum will contact either a Congressman or Senator and send them a copy of what we are trying to get passed. If enough of us contact enough legislators, we just might find someone willing to back our proposal.

JB - At the end of version .3 you included a list to things that we might want to say and not say when talking to congressmen/women. I did not copy it. Can you resend it for us to use when dicussing this legislation? Thanks Alli

Hi Alli, Could you post up a copy of what you sent to your Senator? When I send mine I want to have as much info as possible. Thanks, Maddawgs
Offline Alli  
#43 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 3:08:51 AM(UTC)
Alli

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
"Maddawgs,
I am not as computer savey as I thought - I can't fiigure out how to copy a Word doc to this forum. When I do, I will post it. BTW my letter and legislative proposal has been re-assigned to another legislative aid in Senator Kaine's office. . Will advise when I hear something. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Alli"
Offline Maddawgs  
#44 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:49:05 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Alli Go to Quoted Post
Maddawgs,
I am not as computer savey as I thought - I can't fiigure out how to copy a Word doc to this forum. When I do, I will post it. BTW my letter and legislative proposal has been re-assigned to another legislative aid in Senator Kaine's office. . Will advise when I hear something. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Alli

Hi Alli, I'm pretty sure you can just highlight the text in your word document and then copy and paste it into your post. Maddawgs
Offline Alli  
#45 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 8:13:10 AM(UTC)
Alli

"
Originally Posted by: Maddawgs Go to Quoted Post
Hi Alli, I'm pretty sure you can just highlight the text in your word document and then copy and paste it into your post. Maddawgs

It worked, I just was not paying enough attention. OK the letter is posted below - many of my points are already in the proposal, however I was trying to give these folks a little background of where we are coming from. You are welcome to use as little or as much of it as you wish. Alli

Date,,,,,,..

Dear,,,,,,,..,

I am sending you a document that proposes changes to 26 USC Chapter 51. Since the 18th amendment (prohibition) was repealed in 1933, it has been a federal crime to distill alcohol without a costly permit. During the early 1970's, the federal statutes were revised to allow beer and wine production by individuals without any permit or license; however the distillation of said beer or wine is still unlawful.

It is general knowledge that illegal distillation of alcohol (better known as moonshine ) has been around since the repeal of prohibition for the purpose of making and selling illegal untaxed alcohol. However during the past 5 years or so with the tremendous growth of online internet sales, everything imaginable is available online - this includes distilling equipment, vast amounts of information on distilling in general and numerous forums for beginners and advanced distillers to discuss their hobby. There has truly developed a very large community of hobby distillers who do it for the fun and entertainment, not for sales and/or profit - this is true not just in America, but all over the world. Alcohol distillation is legal in only a few countries such as New Zealand and Australia.

All you need do is an online search for alcohol distilling equipment and you will find numerous companies that sell equipment and supplies for everything a brewer, wine maker or distiller could possibly want. In the past few months the TTB (Alcohol Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau) sent a request (more of a demand) to all of the major online distillery equipment sellers asking for a list of the customer's names/addresses who bought distilling equipment during the past 36 months. The customer's names are to be forwarded hereafter on a quarterly basis.

What the TTD intends to do with all these names is unclear to the general public. According to one supplier, it is estimated that there have been between 90,000 and 100,000 stills sold in the past 3 years in the US alone. It is also guesstimated that another 100,000 stills have been made at home during that time using the many plans and diagrams available to anyone with a computer.

The distilling community in the US is a diverse and anonymous group. Since home distilling is illegal, everyone uses aliases when communicating on online forums. No one knows anyone's real name. This is not a community of law breakers distilling hundreds and hundreds of gallons of untaxed booze. The average home hobby distiller probably distills 10 gallons (at the most) of alcohol per year. The recent movie on TV about moonshiners did the hobby distillers a great disservice because those guys were criminals producing and selling thousands of gallons of unlicensed and untaxed liquor.

No one wants the TTD to come snooping around their yard or garage looking for a still or untaxed spirits. To begin with, it would be a huge waste of precious federal resources. If the TTD found a couple of gallons of untaxed spirits in some guy's garage, with the federal alcohol tax at $13.50 per gallon, the federal taxes owed would be $27.00. Is that worth hauling someone into federal court? Did you know that in Virginia it is against the state law to own (possess) a still? How antiquated is that? To own the equipment to distill water is against the law.

The US hobby distilling community would like to be on a par with the beer and wine makers. They would like to be able to produce the same amount of beer (mash) that can legally be produced today and distill as little or as much of that legal amount as they wish. To get this done, a sponsor in Washington needs to be found. Someone who can look at what is being proposed and say what is good or bad about the approach and then help get new legislation passed.

I voted for Senator Kaine, so his office is where I started. I would appreciate it very much if you will look over the proposal, let me know what you think and suggest where we go from here. I will be happy to come to DC to discuss this matter at any time. I have not been appointed by anyone to write this letter or send you the proposal - I am just doing what I think needs to be done.

Sincerely Yours,"
Offline Alli  
#46 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 12:17:03 AM(UTC)
Alli

"All,
We all are in agreement that JB did a hellofajob on the legislative chages we are proposing, however to me there was a piece missing. Where were the sellers (like Brewhaus) in this discussion? I don't recall hearing from any of them while we were discussing where to go and how to get there. To me they not just disinterested parties and deserve a place at the table. I realize that the now illegal home distillers are not the same as a bunch of boatbuilders talking about a new design, but I think they should have included themselves. Maybe they were advised by council to stay out of it or maybe they are to busy and decided to keep their heads down. Maybe they are afraid someone would ask them for money? Hell, I don't know. It may very well be that they don't want to do or say anything that might jepodize their business - I get it. Just my 2 cents. Alli"
Offline John Barleycorn  
#47 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:17:29 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"Hi Alli,

See posts 21 and 23 in this thread and also the beginning of ""Lets get this process started"" thread. Lots of initial enthusiasm (especially from hillbilly mike, who hasn't even logged in over the past month), but little else beyond that as far as I can see.

I voiced my opion about the manufacturers' motivation here:
http://www.brewhausforum...ad.php?3768-Another-noob!!&p=27310#post27310

So far, I haven't been privy to any information that would change my opinion. If most hobbyists started building their own rigs, then you might see some activity. For now, I'd say it's up to us.

Regards,
--JB"
Offline admin  
#48 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 1:25:29 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Actually, we started the entire Legalization forum to get this process moving, and had several posts in a different thread on the topic. However, I have had several other things recently that have dramatically reduced my time, but do not mistake that for a lack of enthusiasm on the push for legalization.
Offline Maddawgs  
#49 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 11:26:13 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Admin Go to Quoted Post
Actually, we started the entire Legalization forum to get this process moving, and had several posts in a different thread on the topic. However, I have had several other things recently that have dramatically reduced my time, but do not mistake that for a lack of enthusiasm on the push for legalization.

I have to agree, I think someone suggested a legalization thread in the TTB inquiry thread and admin had one up the next day. After a day or two of no activity I started the "lets get this process started" thread. Admin and Mike from hillbilly have both posted to it. Mike to post a link about the petition and Admin to caution us to take it slow and do it right. I would also like to see more involvement but I do understand supplier caution on to much involvement. In this country if you want to hurt someone or a cause the standard practice is to go after the money and suppliers have more to lose than the hobby distiller. As for our involvement, on the 2 threads dealing with potential legalization there are several posts by mostly 20 or so members and a lot of work done by JB with a pretty good assist by Alli and an upcoming powerpoint from RCred. This forum has upwards of 6000 members so this is a pretty poor showing for what should be a very important next step for our hobby. The TTB has our information and this and the other forums are open forums so even the people who have built their own could be known. The government can act on the info they have any time they want. If we sit and choose not to get involved then we have to take whatever happens to us. The power to change things is in our hands, this is still a government of the people. If enough of us speak, they have to listen. Sorry for the rant---Maddawgs
Offline Alli  
#50 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 8:08:47 AM(UTC)
Alli

"JB, Maddawgs et al,

I posted the legislation on the New Distillers and Distillers Yahoogroups forum last week. Have gotten a couple of responses on New Distillers from folks who obviously did not read the proposal. Nothing at all from the Distillers side. My perception so far is 1) very few members are going online to see the post. 2) a ""I don't want to get involved"" mentality and 3) it's not my problem. We all knew the road would be long and so far it looks like it will be lonely as well.

As for me, there is no distilling apparatus and no more than a quart of untaxed booze on my property so the feds are welcome to come look all they want.

Any ideas on how to get the word out? I understand completely the hesitancy to put one's real name out there for everyone to see. I am contacting our other senator and house rep in our district this week. I am sure part of our problem is the underground nature of our hobby. Alli"
Offline admin  
#51 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:02:54 AM(UTC)
admin

I agree. It is unfortunate that many of the people who want hobby distilling legalized are unwilling to get involved in legalization efforts. If it is a matter of 'then they will know who I am', well, surprise, even if you were not specifically on one of the producer's lists, "they" likely know who you are, anyway. I will be contacting my representatives, so that is one more on the list.

Thank you JB, Alli, Maddawg, and everyone else who has put so much work into this. While it would be really nice to see a larger group get involved, hopefully one of us will hit the right chord in one of our representatives, and we will get somewhere with this.
Offline Maddawgs  
#52 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2013 11:33:27 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Admin Go to Quoted Post
I agree. It is unfortunate that many of the people who want hobby distilling legalized are unwilling to get involved in legalization efforts. If it is a matter of 'then they will know who I am', well, surprise, even if you were not specifically on one of the producer's lists, "they" likely know who you are, anyway. I will be contacting my representatives, so that is one more on the list.

Thank you JB, Alli, Maddawg, and everyone else who has put so much work into this. While it would be really nice to see a larger group get involved, hopefully one of us will hit the right chord in one of our representatives, and we will get somewhere with this.

Hi All,
My plan is to gather all the information from JB, Alli, the (hopefully) upcoming power point from RCred (take as much time as you need), and my research and put that all together as a package. This package will go to all the senators, congressmen, and representatives in my state. I'll also contact the originator of the current petition on the petitionsite and see about attaching this to his petition to grow that. I also plan on starting a petition myself on the governments petition site. The requirements on this site are a bit tougher with 100000 signatures needed and you have to use your real name. At that time I'll do my best to get a social media campaign going to advertise it. I'm sure it will be a tough, long, and lonely road but I will give it my best shot. If we as the hobby distillers and the most likely benefactors of changing the law cant get together to push for the change then those with the power to change it wont see the need to.
Our biggest obstacle is fear or the fear of getting involved. The forums dealing with our hobby are open. This means that there is a very good chance they are monitored and we as members and posters to these forums are already known. If you think you are safely hiding behind a username then you are fooling yourself. After 911 those privacy rights are gone (the patriot act changed everything). We are only hiding from each other. We are generally safe because as single hobby distillers we are just to small to waste resources on. The biggest fear is the TTB doing an area raid. Do you have a still, does a neighbor have one, does his neighbor? This would be an area. There is a good line in Saving Private Ryan " one man alone is a waste of ammo, five together is a juicy target". This is how ICE acts when rounding up illegal aliens, they know where they are they just wait until it is worth spending the money and getting 10 or 20 is a good catch. As our hobby grows this is a real possibility. If you let fear rule your life you will never do anything and have to live with stupid laws.Getting involved will not expose you any more than you already are. Alcohol in many forms is not illegal to buy, store, or use and the laws against home distillation are prohibition hold overs. Pushing for legalization now will avoid trouble later. It is fairly easy to make the changes, we just need to ask for the change with a unified voice. Remember until President Jimmy Carter's brother got caught (anyone remember Billy beer?) home brewing and wine making were illegal so the law can be changed.
Maddawgs
Offline RCRed  
#53 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 12:28:41 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Maddawgs wrote:
If you let fear rule your life you will never do anything and have to live with stupid laws.Getting involved will not expose you any more than you already are.
That is a profound statement.

Look, folks... Whether or not the forums here and elsewhere are public or not, the HSA/CIA/NSA have long since copped everylast thing we have sent back and forth - they didn't do it by signin' up as members and trolling.. That's far too pedestrian and simply NOT possible given the sheer volume of message (or forum) boards on the internet. There are forums for every last thing on the planet. Many discussing much more sinister and illegal topics than making some drippin's... I do not frequent those, but I do know they exist. You cannot imagine the number of them that talk overthrow of governments, and all manner of skullduggery - My point is that it's IMPOSSIBLE for humans to manually track alll that diatribe.

They (government) use the PRISM program which uses devices at all major carriers called a "network switch' that the fiber communication cables run thru before going to other destinations - so regardless of site, whom, where or how, they got the traffic. Even encryption mehods can be broken if a master key was granted, and there are plenty of news out there that each big internet carrier did so under court order.

Think of it as a toll booth, that simply makes a copy of the traffic (and data is traffic, packed into little "packets', like a car) as it passes thru on the way to it's destination. Data packets contain headers and trailer information that outline it's origin, target, type of data, and finally the content. We geeks in the IT industry built it that way so the internet could evolve over the past 15 years.

We never built it so the govt could eavesdrop, but just like with any science, it can be perverted, and Lord knows we have one perverted ass government right now. So, we are hiding nothing. And I agree with MD, it is senseless to live in fear. It makes more sense to rally agin the stupidity, and demand change.

So, I agree with MD. I'll produce the powerpoint, and I'll stand "loud and proud" for the cause.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#54 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 1:02:59 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"+2 Md, Red

We were designing to meet CALEA requirements well over 10 years ago, so all of your voice-band audio/data can be grabbed as well ... effortlessly.

Quote:
As for me, there is no distilling apparatus and no more than a quart of untaxed booz"
Offline RCRed  
#55 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 1:27:47 AM(UTC)
RCRed

One other point.. That fool who wrote the Distillers Workbook is pushing a legalization effort via "Facial Book". I thought pretty good of his book until I saw a post he made to me saying message boards and they's folks don't mean that you get viable info (question was about using alum instead of stainless on the boiler vessel)...

I pretty much lost all respect for that guy at that point as I have learned 1000% more between AD, here and HD sites than I ever did reading his book, or listening to the audiobook version. But a vehicle is a vehicle, whata I care about the color or seats...So maybe that's an avenue - He's tracking the states where hobbyists are signing petitions for legalization.

JB wrote:
We were designing to meet CALEA requirements well over 10 years ago, so all of your voice-band audio/data can be grabbed as well ... effortlessly.
Yes sir, I know.. I was trying not to go too deep or scare folks... Many peeps don't realize the FCC owns the airwaves and freq's so the phone companies have always had secret agreements with the govt. It's just at this time in America's history we are truly unable to trust it any more...Sad.
Offline Alli  
#56 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 9:24:50 AM(UTC)
Alli

OK Folks, I got my frist reply today from an aid in Senator Kaine's office. He said the proposal was very interesting and is willing help any way he can. The first thing he said was "this is the first time I have heard of this". Exactly. He said that we need to get the word out to all of the Congressman (Senate and House) that we can. No surprise there. Do not be surprised if the people you talk with in DC have no idea about the laws concerning distilling - it will be an education process all the way. I was told I could make an appointment to meet with the Congressman so that is a good sign - I prefer to meet with him in his home office rather than fight the traffic in DC. Progress one step at a time marches on. I feel better already. Alli
Offline admin  
#57 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 3:03:43 PM(UTC)
admin

That is great, Alli. If enough of us send the proposal to our representatives, and make them aware of the situation (I am sure that most are unaware of the legal difference a hobby distiller faces versus a hobby brewer or wine maker) we may just get things changed. My time has been very limited lately, so I am recruiting my wife to gather the representatives information for me so that I can do my part. :-)
Offline Alli  
#58 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 4:17:27 PM(UTC)
Alli

"RCRed,
I quit worring about them coming after me a while ago. There is simply nothing to find here as far as untaxed alcohol or distilling equipment is concerned. We have to say I have nothing to be afraid of if someone wants to come look.. I am going to start asking people to start revealing the states they have actually contacted and gotton a response. All I want to do is keep a Excel spreadsheet of which states have been contacted just to give us an idea of the coverage we are getting. It will be an open document that I will share with anyone. Alli"
Offline RCRed  
#59 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:27:21 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Heya Alli,

I didn't mean to infer the redcoats were coming :) I was just stating the facts about the data collection going on against our 1st ammendment rights in America. I was hoping folks would realize it and yell at their representation about it. I see today the Congress is moving to defund it all, which is a start.

I'll just keep my opines to myself on the data side of things. It's just important to realize that staying silent allows them to win in the battle of stripping our liberties from us.
Offline Alli  
#60 Posted : Tuesday, July 23, 2013 8:17:11 AM(UTC)
Alli

"Hear Ye, Hear Ye. To all 6706 members of this forum that have kahuns bigger than a garden pea (ladies excepted). The members who have posted that they will actually send the propopsed legislation to their respective Congresspersons is so far sad at best. If you are afraid of the Redcoats, I understand. If you are afraid of the data collectors, you are probably too late. Since we are such an anonymous community, we need a way to keep track of the activity to get the word out. Here is my deal. If you send our proposal to your congressional representative, please post the name, email address and date of your correspondence. I will keep track of all the correspondence by name (not your name, the name of the congressional rep), date, email address and state only . Without your permission, your name - real or fictitious- will never be used other than to respond on this forum. If you don't want to post it on this forum, send it to me at allibugger
yahoo.com. And NO, I am not an agent of TTB, ATF or any such crap.

I know many will say I am naive, but if you don't want your name publicized by the congressional staff, put a statement on your cover letter that due to sensitivity of this proposal, you request that your name not be made public. I suspect most of our representative will respect that. Please send those requests today.
Alli"