logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

7 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline John Barleycorn  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:01:49 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Revision 0.3 posted. If there aren't any changes for a few days, I'll edit out the open issues and revision history, then stamp it as revision 1.0. At that point, perhaps we should start trying to contact our representatives.

Rick & Mike, I haven't seen any comments from you guys. Are you willing to contact your reps? Rick, Texas has a lot of reps on the Ways and Means Committee ... since you are a Texas businessman and employer, I would hope that your reps would at least provide some honest opinions about our efforts. Comments?

--JB
Offline RCRed  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:23:37 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
....... Rick, Texas has a lot of reps on the Ways and Means Committee ...--JB
RcRed will also take on the salient of contacting Texas reps - I write them pretty often as is - maybe not a good thing, but I do not hesitate to seak my piece with them-respectably, mind ya, but I do.

I'm not a employer, but I do pay taxes here.
Offline admin  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, June 25, 2013 2:30:43 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Hi JB,

I downloaded and printed the package, but have not yet had the chance to read it, but yes, I intend to follow up as much as possible with our state and federal representatives.

Rick
Offline Alli  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 3:43:24 AM(UTC)
Alli

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
"JB,
Thank you very much - you answered all my concerns except one. Your last Effect of Proposed Changes states ""You may not remove the spirits that you distilled from your home. [Ed. Note: not sure about this, and what about competitions?]"" I am still not clear why we want to put this in. Is it a requirement for beer and wine?

I have never contacted an elected representative but am more than willing to give it a go. I live in Virginia. If there is anyone else on this forum who also lives in VA and wants to team up with me, it would be helpful and fun.
Alli"
Offline John Barleycorn  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:04:44 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Hi Alli,

I'm still looking through the different sections of 26 USC Chapter 51 in an attempt to get my arms around all of the "removal" stuff. That guideline is in there because I'm fairly positive that I saw some language that triggers certain requirements when you remove a distilled spirit from the place where it is produced ... but I'm having trouble finding where I saw it. Confused It may have been in the CFR and not the USC. In any case, I put that in there as a reminder ... and to avoid any issues ... until we figure things out. Basically, if you keep your spirits on your property, you wouldn't have to worry about anything.

I'll keep looking for the regulation I'm referring to ... in the meantime it's probably best to leave the guideline in there so we can at least continue to question why it's necessary at all. It would certainly be nice to take our creations to a competition without violating the law.

Regards,
--JB
Offline Maddawgs  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 10:46:59 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Hi Md,

I think it's close to a final version. I'll put up the latest version (0.3) before the day is out ... and give things another day or two for comments ... to make sure we're not missing anything important.

WRT the petition, please pm Randy (RandyMarshCT)... I believe he has direct access to the petition/petitioner, so it would be good to coordinate with him.

We still need a FAQ (I started one yesterday) and a PowerPoint slideshow (for a potential champion) ... a youtube video would be nice as well (to make our case to the public), but that's way beyond my abilities. For ourselves, a simple Do/Don't list for dealing with politcians/public might be helpful. Then it's time to start shopping for politicians.

Regards,
--JB

Hi JB,
Sorry for the delay, I have been really busy with a lot of home improvement projects. Is Randy a member on this forum? I like the new revisions and the FAQs document. I think with reference to the part about removal from the home that unless it is directly reffered to in the beer and wine sections then maybey it should be removed. In the FAQs document it might be good to deal a bit with potential safety issues--blindness, fire, explosion, bad smells. Some things those not involved with our hobby might be concerned about. Thanks again for all your hard work on this, Maddawgs
Offline D10  
#27 Posted : Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:05:18 PM(UTC)
D10

I live in Louisiana and would be more than happy to send this to my congressman and representatives when the final draft is done.
Offline Amadhunter  
#28 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2013 3:38:10 PM(UTC)
Amadhunter

Originally Posted by: D10 Go to Quoted Post
I live in Louisiana and would be more than happy to send this to my congressman and representatives when the final draft is done.

I live in Louisiana too, and will do the same.
Offline futurenmc  
#29 Posted : Friday, June 28, 2013 4:54:18 PM(UTC)
futurenmc

Youve got a few in NC backing this up as well!
Offline Norske  
#30 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2013 2:20:57 PM(UTC)
Norske

I was writing a brillant response to this thread and it went away. Anyway, I'll start again. This is an interesting read. I have no problem with Brewhaus complying with the law. My name has been sent to TTB and I can deal with that. It is my understanding of the law is if I do not have to registar the apperatius until determine the ultimate use of the apperatius and set it up. If I chose to distill Methonal Fuel, I do not have to registar the apperatus. I believe I can also make perfume and such. Being an engineer, there is no way I cannot modify this hunk of beautiful stainless to be more effecient. So until the finally configuation is determined , I will only use this appratuis in a labratory enviroment to get a better handle on the efficient use ofthermodynamic. I believe I am acting within the law.
Offline scotty  
#31 Posted : Saturday, June 29, 2013 10:31:40 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

oofta--brilliant can be very complicated and confusing.
Offline Alli  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2013 1:56:20 AM(UTC)
Alli

"JB,
Do you foresee any additional changes coming to Revision 0.3 or is it good to go with?
Alli"
Offline John Barleycorn  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2013 2:58:13 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"Hi Alli,

I rearranged things a bit and added a ""Health and Safety Issues"" section. I only have a few more paragraphs to finish, then I was planning on calling it done. I didn't want to just pull things out of my
$$ wrt health and safety ... and the research is taking a little longer than I anticipated.

Sorry for the delay. I've been very busy this past few weeks. I'll get this done in the next few days.

--JB"
Offline Alli  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2013 3:40:25 AM(UTC)
Alli

"JB,
No rush. Better to take the time to get it as right as possible than to send out something a lawyer can easily pick apart. Thanks for the update.
Alli."
Offline Maddawgs  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, July 09, 2013 10:45:40 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Hi JB,
Thank you for all your hard work on this. I have not heard back from the pm I sent but I did find out how to contact the originator of the petition. As soon as you have a completed doc (no hurry--take as much time as you want) and give the ok I will make contact and try to get your stuff added. Thanks again for putting all the time on this.
Maddawgs
Offline John Barleycorn  
#36 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 12:32:50 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"Hi Everyone,

I just posted what I'm calling the ""final"" revision.

I consider it to be an ""open document."" I removed my nom de plume to (hopefully) encourage distribution, copying, modification ... whatever you want. I know many of you are very polite and respectful wrt content written by others. But this doc is for community use. And although I did the typing, the document contains the ideas and suggestions from members of our community, not from me ... so I claim no ownership over it, and there's no need to get my permission to use it in any way you see fit.

Best Regards,
--JB"
Offline Maddawgs  
#37 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 10:44:44 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Hi Everyone,

I just posted what I'm calling the "final" revision.

I consider it to be an "open document." I removed my nom de plume to (hopefully) encourage distribution, copying, modification ... whatever you want. I know many of you are very polite and respectful wrt content written by others. But this doc is for community use. And although I did the typing, the document contains the ideas and suggestions from members of our community, not from me ... so I claim no ownership over it, and there's no need to get my permission to use it in any way you see fit.

Best Regards,
--JB

Hi JB,
Thanks again for all your hard work on this.
Maddawgs
Offline RCRed  
#38 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 11:51:24 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Indeed - Great work, John. this coming weekend is the last weekend I have to work ungodly tours of 12 on-12 off doing system upgrades, and then I'll be able to start on a power point next week for us. Only a year in the makin... But, it's a livin Cool
Offline Hokey  
#39 Posted : Friday, July 12, 2013 10:43:02 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I have just e-mailed my Congressman requesting a meeting. His name is Stephen Lynch (D) of Mass. I have several copies of JB's great suggested changes and will obviously bring them with me if I can get a meeting. I am pretty clueless as far as politics go so if anyone has any suggestions, or talking points please let me know. ie. things to say, things to not say. If I don't here back i will call his phone number in a few days.
Offline Alli  
#40 Posted : Sunday, July 14, 2013 8:13:52 AM(UTC)
Alli

"Hokey,

Below is a list of talking points that John published in version .2 that will give you a place to start. I found the name of the aid that specializes in commerce in Senator Jim Kaine's office (D) -Virginia. I sent him the proposed legislation along with a letter giving him some background on hobby distilling - I included a piece about the TTD demand letter to the sellers, that wine/beer making is legal and distilling that very same product is not, that we are not criminals and are not selling moonshine. I added that the original list of customer's names to the TTD is estimated to be 90,000 and that the intended purpose for collecting these names is unknown to the general public.

Since the hobby distilling community is not an oganized lobby and we don't have a million dollars to hire a bunch of laywers, I would hope that everyone on this forum will contact either a Congressman or Senator and send them a copy of what we are trying to get passed. If enough of us contact enough legislators, we just might find someone willing to back our proposal.

JB - At the end of version .3 you included a list to things that we might want to say and not say when talking to congressmen/women. I did not copy it. Can you resend it for us to use when dicussing this legislation? Thanks Alli

Quote:
Effect of the Proposed Changes
The effects of the proposed changes are expected to legalize home distillation provided the following
guidelines are respected:
- You must use only the beer or wine that you legally produce in your own home.
- It is up to you to decide home much of that beer or wine you want to use for distilling purposes,
and how much you want to keep as is. However, the amount of beer and wine you produce is
limited to 100 gallons (one adult) or 200 gallons (more than one adult).
- The size of your still's boiler must be 15 gallons or less.
- You may only distill in your home (dwelling, shed, or yard) and you may use only the beer and
wine that was legally produced in your home.
- You may not distill commercially available products (beers, wines, or distilled spirits).
- You must store your distilled spirits in containers that are one gallon or less in size. You may
store more than one gallon - but the containers you use can't be larger than one gallon each
."