logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

12 Pages«<34567>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline CzBrewer  
#81 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:12:56 AM(UTC)
CzBrewer

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: old stump juicer Go to Quoted Post
Yes they probably would like all our homes so that they can house those illegal mexicans.

lol... I thought housing illegals was what CA is for...? I moved from CA to MI about 5 years ago because they are using CA (yes, the whole state) to house & care for the illegals. Cursing
Offline RCRed  
#82 Posted : Wednesday, June 19, 2013 3:21:06 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: CzBrewer Go to Quoted Post
lol... I thought housing illegals was what CA is for...? I moved from CA to MI about 5 years ago because they are using CA (yes, the whole state) to house & care for the illegals. Cursing
Califlower-ornia is simply a staging area, like Ellis Island was....
Offline Be Mellow  
#83 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2013 7:19:02 AM(UTC)
Be Mellow

I, like all of you, have been reading and watching the events unfold. All the law quotes being used read to me like they are pointed at either unregistered stills (home made), or ones that are actually being used (or both). The way I see it, is that if you have legally purchased a still from Rick, or anyone else that has followed the TTB's rules on record keeping, you've not broken any law. Now if your actually USING it, then it's another story, but what if you haven't? What I mean is that what if you've seen an opertunity to invest in something you feel will greatly increase in value, like a legally purchased commercial grade still?

I don't know how many of you are familiar with gun laws, specifically Class III, but there was a part called a "drop in auto sear" for the AR15 that was legally made prior to 1981 that would allow a semi-automatic to be converted to a fully automatic gun (with other legal, easily obtained parts). Of course you had to register it as such and follow all the NFA rules, but essentially buying a $50 part, then filing your $200 tax stamp through a class 3 dealer, would enable you legally to own a M16. The law changed in November 1981, making it illegal to manufacture, or own one made after that date. Back then, and up until the first assault weapons ban, an AR15 could be purchased for a few hundred dollars. Now, fast forward to today: A "pre november '81", registered drop in auto sear sells for $15,000 to $20,000! Wish I had bought some!

I can easily see history repeating itself here: The TTB enacts a law prohibiting the sale, transfer, or ownership of any still made after "whatever date" 2013. Since all of ours were purchased legally, serial numbered, and "registered" they would be grandfathered in. The reason for the grandfathering is that there are more than one use for them that are legal. This would make all legally purchased still made prior to "whatever" 2013 potentially very valuable, so long as they can be transferred under said law. It would all depend of how the law would be written. I think everyone should be buying them up while they can. (your welcome Rick).
Offline scotty  
#84 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2013 7:39:27 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Originally Posted by: RCRed Go to Quoted Post
Califlower-ornia is simply a staging area, like Ellis Island was....

Hey red Just a reminder that -- most of those that came in through Ellis island were WW2 refugees and highly productive folks that couldn't wait to become USA citizens. :)
Offline RCRed  
#85 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2013 9:56:47 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
Hey red Just a reminder that -- most of those that came in through Ellis island were WW2 refugees and highly productive folks that couldn't wait to become USA citizens. :)
You are more than correct on that point. Ironic how that dynamic has been reversed by politics hopelessly addicted to a welfare state.
Offline scotty  
#86 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2013 9:59:02 AM(UTC)
scotty

I'm sick over this business
Offline old stump juicer  
#87 Posted : Friday, June 21, 2013 4:59:14 PM(UTC)
old stump juicer

scotty I am too!
Offline FLBOY  
#88 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2013 9:01:51 AM(UTC)
FLBOY

I have a premium kettle and one of the older ones. I do not see a serial number on the premium one and it is not insulated. The older one is insulated so it could be covered. Where is the serial number?
Offline Hokey  
#89 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2013 9:08:07 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
My serial number is on a little oval stainless label welded to the top of the tower.
Offline scotty  
#90 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2013 9:31:35 AM(UTC)
scotty

I have 2 boiler, 3 towers a couple of hundred pounds of grains and all sorts of testing equipment- I refuse to get upset by the government inquiry- I would like to have a dollar for ever linear amp I sold or ham radio I operated on 11 meters-- we are all small potatoes-
Offline Hokey  
#91 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2013 9:40:45 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'm with you Scotty. I however am keeping this TTB issue from the "war department" (wife). I fear she would not feel the same.
Offline dieselduo  
#92 Posted : Monday, June 24, 2013 11:15:28 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
I have 2 boiler, 3 towers a couple of hundred pounds of grains and all sorts of testing equipment- I refuse to get upset by the government inquiry- I would like to have a dollar for ever linear amp I sold or ham radio I operated on 11 meters-- we are all small potatoes-

you are so right Scotty we are all small potatoes and thanks for the levity"
Offline CzBrewer  
#93 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:25:30 AM(UTC)
CzBrewer

"
Originally Posted by: FLBOY Go to Quoted Post
I have a premium kettle and one of the older ones. I do not see a serial number on the premium one and it is not insulated. The older one is insulated so it could be covered. Where is the serial number?

Wait, wait...what? I just got excited....maybe. lol Does the above quote suggest/mean that if a still is not insulated, & it doesn't have a serial number on it, it's not covered by this ""been turned into the TTB"" business? *please, please, please*"
Offline CzBrewer  
#94 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:27:49 AM(UTC)
CzBrewer

Originally Posted by: dieselduo Go to Quoted Post
you are so right Scotty we are all small potatoes and thanks for the levity

Indeed. I kinda feel stupid now... Sad
Offline dieselduo  
#95 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:30:47 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
the serial number is usually on the column not the kettle
Offline RCRed  
#96 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:46:50 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Originally Posted by: dieselduo Go to Quoted Post
the serial number is usually on the column not the kettle
I think the locale of the serial number plate on BH columns was documented earlier in this thread.. Anyhow, it's
top of the column, small oval plate...Also, if it doesn't have one, and you are going for a DSP small, you must assign one. I don't think the abscence of a serial excludes anything...unless someone tells me I have it incorrect...
Offline CzBrewer  
#97 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 6:08:20 AM(UTC)
CzBrewer

Originally Posted by: RCRed Go to Quoted Post
I think the locale of the serial number plate on BH columns was documented earlier in this thread.. Anyhow, it's
top of the column, small oval plate...Also, if it doesn't have one, and you are going for a DSP small, you must assign one. I don't think the abscence of a serial excludes anything...unless someone tells me I have it incorrect...

Right on! Well, I think I'm just gonna assume that me, my 10L still & my couple quarts of personal-use hooch aren't a target. *deep breath*

I'm sure I'll be moving within the next few years, as the hubby's job takes us to new places every so often. The next house we get WILL allow chickens (mine got zoned out!) and a small out building (for dist permit). Less stress when your hobbies are legal! lol Wink
Offline FLBOY  
#98 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 9:40:06 AM(UTC)
FLBOY

Unless I am missing something the license allows for ethanol for fuel. If you have a license and have 30 1.75's aging in oak. I don't think you are any different than me without a license.
Offline RCRed  
#99 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 11:58:04 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Unless I am missing something the license allows for ethanol for fuel. If you have a license and have 30 1.75's aging in oak. I don't think you are any different than me without a license.
you are right ..not a bit different. The dsp small is only for ethanol.
Offline CzBrewer  
#100 Posted : Wednesday, June 26, 2013 4:42:30 PM(UTC)
CzBrewer

FLBOY...you have a good point. Except that I'm not sure I'll age it at all, but I would get caught with a few quarts of "watered down" ethanol on the shelf...and a pint jar that says "FORESHOTS--don't drink!" haha

I am a huge fan of corn moonshine & that's really the only reason i got into this hobby at all. I am looking to replicate the *real* stuff I had from TN. The only commercial "moonshine" I've tried that comes anywhere near to that taste is Popcorn Sutton's TN white whiskey (that name...lol). Anyhow, Sutton's is only sold in TN and KY, so I have to have it shipped
$30/btl. + $20 shipping. See my problem? So, being the "can do" type, and after watching a certain to-be-left-unnamed tv show (ahem), I decided to distill it myself, because how hard can it be? Confused (the learning curve can be steep, but it gets easier, admittedly) And here I am...being a noob...distilling my first spirit run as I type this. It smells so good--makes my mouth water!

I figure there are bigger fish to fry than me in re: the hobby distilling...so I shall continue on my merry way. :)