logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

7 Pages«<4567>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#101 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 4:14:14 AM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

I'm all over the hobby distiller's association! Just let me know where to send the money. What an excellent idea!
Offline RCRed  
#102 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 5:05:22 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Rick, did you get those links off the Wiki? There are a boat load of other links.. Will take me some time to check each...but I was under the impression that Missou allows essentially the same freedom with distillate as most states do with Beer and Wine - But like those templates, one cannot sell without the necessary DSP and state permits, and of course paying the taxes due.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...Alcohol_laws_of_Missouri
Quote:

Missourians over the age of 21 may manufacture up to 100 gallons per person each year of any alcoholic beverage for personal use, without further limitation, without taxation, and without any license. It should be noted, though, that for production of distilled alcohol (i.e. not beer or wine) for personal use, it probably still is necessary for the private citizen to obtain a permit from the Federal Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_and_Tobacco_Tax_and_Trade_Bureau) and meet other requirements under federal law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_United_States).

Besides that, however, the only alcohol which is illegal for sale or possession in Missouri is that which has been manufactured without a license and/or that on which the required taxes have not been paid.
There are numerous foot note links on that page that point to doc links.
Offline SlippySlope  
#103 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:05:12 AM(UTC)
SlippySlope

"
Originally Posted by: Admin Go to Quoted Post
I am certain that I have seen a more specific law on the books in MO, but cannot find it. I can find the following:
http://moga.mo.gov/statu.../C300-399/3110000055.HTM
http://www.moga.mo.gov/s.../c300-399/3110000020.htm

Rick,
I think this may be the specific link to the statute
http://www.moga.mo.gov/s...apters/chap311.htm"
Offline admin  
#104 Posted : Wednesday, March 12, 2014 6:21:21 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The links that I had were from the MO gov site. In any event, yes, it appears that MO considers hobby beer, wine, and spirits making all under the same group- as it should be.
Offline SlippySlope  
#105 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 2:03:20 PM(UTC)
SlippySlope

I think that one of the things we need to be thinking about is preparing visual documents that show other states doing what we want done. Attached is a PDF of a US map that we prepared for our case with the Florida Legislature to allow "on-premises" sales (i.e., sales at the site of the craft distillery). While we aren't seeking the ability to sell spirits produced by home/hobby distilling, we need to graphically show other states that allow home/hobby distilling. While Missouri may be the only one that we are aware of, there may be others.
File Attachment(s):
USMap_OnPremiseSales.pdf (110kb) downloaded 1 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
#106 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 4:57:49 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Originally Posted by: SlippySlope Go to Quoted Post
I think that one of the things we need to be thinking about is preparing visual documents that show other states doing what we want done. Attached is a PDF of a US map that we prepared for our case with the Florida Legislature to allow "on-premises" sales (i.e., sales at the site of the craft distillery). While we aren't seeking the ability to sell spirits produced by home/hobby distilling, we need to graphically show other states that allow home/hobby distilling. While Missouri may be the only one that we are aware of, there may be others.

That's a good idea. As far as other states are concerned, you might want to look at what West Virginia done reguarding their distilling laws. I forget the license cost, but it's simple to get and it allows you to make up to 20,000 gallons in 1 calender year which is way beyond what you could make and consume on the hobby level.
#107 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 5:03:25 PM(UTC)

"Here's the link to West Virginia's ABC board and miniature distillery laws:

http://www.abca.wv.gov/l...ages/MiniDistillery.aspx

^ This will be the next best thing we can get."
#108 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 5:11:46 PM(UTC)

Here's the actual WV application and the license fee for a mini distillery is only, $50 bucks. I've spent more than that on supplies:

http://www.abca.wv.gov/l...20Licensing%20Packet.pdf
Offline SlippySlope  
#109 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 1:41:29 PM(UTC)
SlippySlope

Here is the link to the complete West Virginia statute on alcohol.
http://www.legis.state.w...de.cfm?chap=60&art=1
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#110 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 3:13:59 AM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Man
United States

Happy to say that I'm now a very proud new member of the Hobby Distillers Association!
Offline heeler  
#111 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 5:39:32 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Sorry fill me in plz....does that membership give you carte blanch to make hooch??? What does that mean ---- Hobby Distillers Assc.???
Offline RCRed  
#112 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:25:51 AM(UTC)
RCRed

One step at a time. At least one state (MO) apparently allows hobby distilling in the home, and I am sure that others will follow. Some states (if memory serves) do not have laws specifically for or against distilling in the home, as it is not a commercial operation and therefore not explicitly covered. That means that changing the federal law will open up legal hobby distilling to many people. At that point (or better yet- at the same time) people can go after changing the laws in individual states. We have had interest from our representatives here in TX, and with MO as a model I think that it will help pave the way.

The Hobby Distiller's Association is just getting off the ground (www.hobbydistillersassociation.org (http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org)), and the first priority is to push for legalization of hobby distilling. We do not wish to open distilling up to moonshining operations that sell. In fact, those just hurt our cause, and will most likely be put on the ropes if hobby distilling is legalized (why buy the stuff when you can make it at home legally for less?). We are pressing for true hobby distilling- small amounts, in the home, for home consumption and just enjoyment of the process. The Hobby Distiller's Association has just hired a lobbyist, and is moving full steam ahead. Please get involved and support the association once the membership portion of the site is operational. Right now we have Brewhaus, Mile Hi Distilling, and Hillbilly Stills coming together to back this financially, but as you can imagine the cost is substantial. We need help, and just as importantly, we need supporters to sign up so that we can show Congress that this is not just a few people trying to make hooch, but a large group of people interested in the hobby, and wanting to be allowed to enjoy it legally.

It is not a stretch to expect the law to be changed. We have support expressed by several representatives in Congress. The lobbyist is a pro at getting that support turned into action. Now is the time. We will succeed! BigGrin

Rick
Here ya go, Heeler...Post #96 above
Offline Hokey  
#113 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:28:52 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
"Happy to say that I'm now a very proud new member of the Hobby Distillers Association!"

You and me both Randy. I signed up yesterday.
Offline admin  
#114 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 7:11:53 AM(UTC)
admin

Calling all WordPress geeks and gurus! Is there anyone on this thread that is rather familiar with WordPress? This may seem like an odd place to ask, but here is why- on the HDA website, if you sign up as just a "supporter" (the free account) then the registration form does not capture your name and address. This information is extremely important, as without it the support means very little to our Congressional representatives. We desperately need this extra information, but need to offer a free account for those that cannot spare $30 right now, or are supportive of the movement (family, friends- be sure to ask them to sign up!), but are not active hobbyists, and do not want to pay to become a member.

So, if anyone here is capable on WP and would not mind taking a few minutes to make the necessary changes, it would be very helpful. I am not a WP guy, so I MAY be able to do it, given enough time. But right now I feel that any spare time I have could be far better spent on getting more people aware of the HDA! The add-on required to manipulate the form is installed, so it is likely a 10 or 15 minute job for someone familiar with WP.

Rick
Offline RCRed  
#115 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:39:40 AM(UTC)
RCRed

I can help, Rick - The Distillitrak site is WPress...with a ton of add ins...One could say I am a tad familiar
Offline admin  
#116 Posted : Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:51:30 AM(UTC)
admin

Thank you so much, RCRed. I will send you a PM right now to discuss. Wink
Offline RCRed  
#117 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 2:26:12 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Thank you so much, RCRed. I will send you a PM right now to discuss. Wink
Glad to help however I can for our cause :)
#118 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 3:58:30 AM(UTC)

I'm proud to say that I also signed up for the home distiller's assoc.
Offline admin  
#119 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:41:45 AM(UTC)
admin

The Hobby Distiller's Association website (www.hobbydistillersassociation.org (http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org/)) is now fully operational! Please take a minute to become a member, and urge everyone that you know to sign up as a supporter to show that they support legislation! The supporter account is a free non-member option for those that are not in the hobby but support the cause. All hobbyists- please help us to fund this effort by becoming a member. It is only $30, but it will help tremendously. At this point Brewhaus is shouldering the entire cost of this effort beyond what membership dues will cover, and the estimated cost for the lobbyist is between $35,000 and $40,000. Unfortunately, we need to do this in order to get hobby distilling brought out of the closet and given the same legal standing as home brewing and winemaking, so it is worth the cost!
Offline admin  
#120 Posted : Friday, March 21, 2014 4:33:53 AM(UTC)
admin

Well, here is the good and the bad news:

The bad- It is looking more and more like we are back on our own, folks. It appears that we will not be getting the support that we had hoped for from other major distributors. While this increases the load on Brewhaus, possibly more importantly is that each of us needs to work that much harder to get as many people that we know to get involved, even as free supporters of the proposed change.

The good- I spoke to my House Rep's office today, and, to make a long story short, we are heading down the best possible path to get this done! The top two most influential things that we can do are
1- Lobby
2- Individually contact our Representatives and Senators regarding the issue

He stressed the that more important of the two is for constituents to show their support. So, contact your representatives in Congress, and urge others to do the same. In addition, get signed up with the Hobby Distiller's Association, as the lobbyist will then have a large list to support the argument when they talk to individual representatives. This is the best one-two punch possible, and gives us the greatest chance for success.

Please, do not sit there and just hope that others will get us enough support. This will benefit all of us! Get involved. Get others involved. We need support to get this through, but we can get it done!