logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

5 Pages«<2345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline fatboi83  
#61 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2013 7:53:36 AM(UTC)
fatboi83

Groups: Registered

I think I will send to Mr. Ryan and Mr. Kind, just to get it in front of them.
Offline Alli  
#62 Posted : Saturday, December 21, 2013 8:27:17 AM(UTC)
Alli

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I got it. Thanks.
Offline fatboi83  
#63 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 8:29:15 AM(UTC)
fatboi83

Sent it to Mr. Kind and Mr. Ryan today, 12/26
Offline Alli  
#64 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 9:48:14 AM(UTC)
Alli

Thanks. Ryan would be a good one if you can get his attention.
Offline fatboi83  
#65 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 10:18:07 AM(UTC)
fatboi83

I doubt he'll even look at it. I did send a self addressed stamped envelope with each packet I sent. I faxed to the offices as well.
Offline Biscuit  
#66 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 3:59:18 PM(UTC)
Biscuit

Good Job fatboi83. When we get this done, we will do a Skype conference tellashot with all we can. Hope that makes sense, the Apple Brandy said it did.
Offline fatboi83  
#67 Posted : Monday, December 30, 2013 1:37:59 PM(UTC)
fatboi83

Has anybody got any responses back from their representatives recently?
Offline Alli  
#68 Posted : Tuesday, December 31, 2013 2:00:02 AM(UTC)
Alli

The flip side of fatboi83's question is, "has anyone followed-up on a previous legislator contact lately?" It takes more than one contact to get an answer unfortunately. Sometimes it take 3 or 4 requests for them to do the right thing, read your information and respond back to you. I started the Squeaky Wheel Thread just for this reason. The lack of response does not necessarily mean he/she is not interested; what it most likely means is that he/she has not even looked at it yet. As I have noted previously, one of the best ways to get their attention is to Google your representative's local constituent offices and pick the one closest to you. Call them and get someone's name and email address to send the proposal to directly - or better yet, drive over to the office and sit down with them, explain our program and ask that they pass it along to their boss.

Another thing that will be very helpful is to send the legislative proposal prior to meeting with them. I have been told on numerous occasions that most people walk into their offices with an "idea" period. (Ex.) "I want you to pass a law against throwing empty beer cans and fast food coffee cups in the ditches in front of my house". What we have is a well written proposal that has been simplified to the point where it needs very little work to make it doable. They don't have to think! Be proud of it and show it off with enthusiasm. It is the fair and sensible thing to do, we have got to figure out how to get that idea across to the legislators in charge. The proposal should answer any questions they have concerning the dangers/myths of so-called "Moonshining". Everyone reading this post is salesman for our cause. Go get 'em. Thanks. Alli
Offline Hokey  
#69 Posted : Thursday, February 20, 2014 5:49:12 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Received a message today from MA Congressman William Keating. Thanking me for contacting him however he does not represent my district. Normally he would have sent my letter to the appropriate office but I wrote that it was a sensitive subject therefore he returned it to me. I think I'll make a call tomorrow to my representative Stephen Lynch's office.
Offline Alli  
#70 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 1:49:52 AM(UTC)
Alli

Hokey,
Our experience has proven that the congressmen and staff in these offices are trained that they work "only" for the people that live in the district represented by the congressman. Anyone else gets the "me no work for you " letter. A number of people wrote several representatives in hopes of getting the word around, unfortunately it was probably a waste of time and stamps. Call your guy and see if you can talk directly to him. Thanks for the update.
Tom
Offline Hokey  
#71 Posted : Friday, February 21, 2014 9:20:11 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

I agree but at least they know that something is happening and voters are talking about it and word is spreading among their fellow congressmen. It may be in the very back of their mind but at least it's in there. So it's not a total waste of stamps.
Offline Hokey  
#72 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 6:07:28 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

I happened to run into Congressman Tom Kennedy last night at the local pizza joint that happen to make the best in the world. He is one of those that I sent a packet to. He was rolling by our table (wheelchair). I said "Hello Tom, Scott H#%^&## " and he said "I remember who you are" ((he used do date my cousin)) "and you are the home brewer. I have not forgotten about it and it is on our agenda." I'm not sure exactly what he meant by that but I think there's another phone call I have to make.
Offline Biscuit  
#73 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 11:07:05 AM(UTC)
Biscuit

Thanks Hokey
Offline Alli  
#74 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 11:35:35 AM(UTC)
Alli

Hokey,
Just goes to prove that there is no way to know who actually sees the letters sent to congressmen. I was told by several aids that they sent non-constituent mail a generic letter without showing it to the representative. It probably depends on the office - some representatives want to see every letter, while other do not. Hokey is right, it is worth a stamp or two just to get the word out. The interest in pushing our proposal seems to have come to a low point. Anyone have any ideas about how we re-invigorate our efforts?
Tom
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#75 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 3:39:17 AM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Man
United States

Tom,
I do. As soon as I get the word that it's good to go, I'm going to contact every single person I know and get them to sign up for the hobby distillers association. I'm going to post it on every forum along with the link to John's whitepaper, begging anyone with a shred of common decency to mail it out to their reps. Just waiting for the word...
Offline Alli  
#76 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 4:46:27 AM(UTC)
Alli

Please everyone, listen to RandyMarshCT. Working together as a large group we can and will make it happen.
t
Offline RandyMarshCT  
#77 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 6:48:57 AM(UTC)
RandyMarshCT

Man
United States

I just emailed the link to everyone (family & friends) on my contact list. I also emailed them the whitepaper and begged them to send it to their reps. This will mostly be people from CT, RI, and MA. They will most likely just be good for unpaid supporters, but anything helps. This weekend I'm setting up shop at my LHBS. The owner is a good friend of mine so I'm sure he'll let me flood the place with info. Any other ideas, just shoot them at me. I'm game for whatever. I know a couple local brewers from breweries in my town as well as package store owners, so I'll try them too.
Offline admin  
#78 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:41:07 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The Hobby Distiller's Association website (www.hobbydistillersassociation.org (http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org)) is now fully operational! Please take a minute to become a member, and urge everyone that you know to sign up as a supporter to show that they support legislation! The supporter account is a free non-member option for those that are not in the hobby but support the cause. All hobbyists- please help us to fund this effort by becoming a member. It is only $30, but it will help tremendously. At this point Brewhaus is shouldering the entire cost of this effort beyond what membership dues will cover, and the estimated cost for the lobbyist is between $35,000 and $40,000. Unfortunately, we need to do this in order to get hobby distilling brought out of the closet and given the same legal standing as home brewing and winemaking, so it is worth the cost!
Offline RCRed  
#79 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 7:53:26 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I'm in, with my 30 BigGrin
Offline admin  
#80 Posted : Thursday, March 20, 2014 8:10:08 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Thank you, Red. And thank you for the help that you have offered with the HDA website!

Rick