logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Dona  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2013 4:58:45 AM(UTC)
Dona

Groups: Registered

"In a 5gallon bucket I will put 4 inches of corn, 5 pounds of sugar.
I will use 1packet of whisky yeast with AG.
Do I need to do anything special to the cracked corn?
Looking for some help, everyone I talk to won't give me a answer for some reason.
Hope some body on here can help."
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2013 5:20:28 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
you will need either a malt or an enzyme to convert the starch to sugar in the corn
Offline Dona  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2013 5:23:24 AM(UTC)
Dona

Malt it with what?
Offline Dona  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2013 6:58:21 AM(UTC)
Dona

Now can u malt it by taking 1/8 of the volume you use and
Make it sprout then clean it then add it to the rest
Of the corn?
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2013 7:16:27 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"Hey guys. That recipe just uses the cracked corn for flavor. it is done like donna says--personally i think its just a entry level recipe. when you add the sugar i guess you will use hot or boiled water- be sure to aerate the wash AFTER IT COOLS DOWN AND before pitching yeast. i think if you soake the corn in the Hot liquid as it is cooling down you might get some more flavor out of IT.
IM JUST GUESSING HERE-- I CHOSE NOT TO EVER TRY THIS RECIPE.
yOU ARE SHOOTING FOR ABOUT 10% P.A."
Offline John Barleycorn  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2013 9:38:11 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Dona,

Where did you get this recipe?"
Offline Jctab73  
#7 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2013 12:20:14 PM(UTC)
Jctab73

If you added just 2 more lbs. Of sugar you will be making a batch of UJSSM. I have one ready to run as we speak. After it's done run it , save it , use a gallon or two of backset, Convert 7 more lbs of sugar. When its done add your spirits and run again . Make your cuts and you have made your first successful run of sour mash. Sugar is for the alcohol and the corn is for the flavor. Enjoy
Offline Jctab73  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2013 12:21:13 PM(UTC)
Jctab73

A very simple sour mash
Offline Dona  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 1:41:26 AM(UTC)
Dona

All I am using corn for is flavor, this is what I come up with..
7lbs cracked corn
10lbs sugar
1 packet of whisky yeasy with AG (from brewhaus of course)
For a 5 gallon mash.
Do I boil the corn or dump it straight in?
Offline Dona  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 1:59:14 AM(UTC)
Dona

And what is " backset"?
I have never done anything but sugar shine with 48hr turbo.
So is the backset the mash after it is cooked?
Take 2gallons of that and dissolve 7lbs more sugar then
Put it back in the pot along with the alcohol I collected
And cook it again? Or and yeast and ferment again?
I have no idea.
Offline Dona  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 2:41:54 AM(UTC)
Dona

Or can I add the corn to the sugar mash and use the 48hr turbo?
Offline heeler  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 4:27:58 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: Dona Go to Quoted Post
And what is "" backset""?
I have never done anything but sugar shine with 48hr turbo.
So is the backset the mash after it is cooked?
Take 2gallons of that and dissolve 7lbs more sugar then
Put it back in the pot along with the alcohol I collected
And cook it again? Or and yeast and ferment again?
I have no idea.

Yes the backset or slop is whats left in the boiler after distillation.

Your getting the idea... add the backset to your fermenter with more sugar and ferment again. Then AFTER that ferments again --- distill that and with the first hooch you collected add both distillates ( now likker ) back to the boiler and re-cook. You can do that with any recipe and it will smooth it out substantially. Really what you are doing is a first stripping run (hard and fast) and then a spirit run which is nice and easy (IMHO)."
Offline Jctab73  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 11:35:38 AM(UTC)
Jctab73

Yep, exactly what Heeler said, and on your second ferment a few nutrients wouldn't hurt either. Try your best to keep the lid on until it's done and most definitely run in the pot still mode.
Offline Jctab73  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 11:39:20 AM(UTC)
Jctab73

Oh yeah, no turbo, the whisky w/ag yeast is just fine, and as long as you keep some liquid in the fermenter, your yeast should come back to life.
Offline heeler  
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 09, 2013 7:34:23 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
Yes the backset or slop is whats left in the boiler after distillation.

Your getting the idea... add the backset to your fermenter with more sugar and ferment again. Then AFTER that ferments again --- distill that and with the first hooch you collected add both distillates ( now likker ) back to the boiler and re-cook. You can do that with any recipe and it will smooth it out substantially. Really what you are doing is a first stripping run (hard and fast) and then a spirit run which is nice and easy (IMHO).

Just wanted to add one more thought....with the backset issue, if you are making a five gallon wash add 1-2 gallons of backset to your fermenter and the rest is water of course, the ratio is roughly 15-20% backset for this application. You can certainly use more but it might require adjusting the water compounds like ph.
If you search for UJSSM recipe it will walk you through this very thing. Good luck."
Offline Gravelier  
#16 Posted : Thursday, May 09, 2013 6:00:14 PM(UTC)
Gravelier

"I am just a novice when it comes to using corn. I seem to have to add enzyme to convert corn starch to sugars. I cook the corn first and let the pot set for several hours wrapped in blankets to gelletenize the starches. Then I hold at 120 f until the corn starch converts with alpha amylase enzyme. I use a drop of iodine on a plate with a tsp of wort to chech for starch conversion. I use a tsp of enzyme per 2 lbs of dry ground corn.

When you run the wash thru the still, you never get all the good stuff out. So, you use this back set for your next batch.

Some people don't use the back set but prefer to collect way into the tails. They put this into the next still run. Either way, you try to save the fruits of your labors.

Do you hear the dripping in the background? That a corn mash dripping through my Lauder tun."
Offline John Barleycorn  
#17 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 12:10:27 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Gravelier,

Are you using the alpha from Brewhaus? ... do you use any gluco in your process?

--JB
Offline Gravelier  
#18 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 7:58:33 AM(UTC)
Gravelier

I was in a bind and bought what the local brew shop had in stock. They didn't know what it was, but I assume that it was alpha A. The question I should have asked was what was the best temperature to run it at. They probably would not have known that either. It seemed to do a pretty good job at 120 - 130. Really thinned out the mash and fast. I should probably be using some gluco also, as my wash never finishes out below 1.000. I need to get another order into Brewhaus as I need some other things also. I am going to order both some alpha and gluco.

I have a question: I have always liked (my favorite) bourbon on ice or cracked ice. I don't really like J D, but like Elijah Craig and Makers Mark. Now, the squeesing that I run off a simple hand made reflux still taste amazingly smoother than what you buy, and pay a lot for. So, the question is, why does what I make myself taste so much smoother than what you buy?
Offline John Barleycorn  
#19 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 12:23:53 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Hey Gravelier,

Quote:
So, the question is, why does what I make myself taste so much smoother than what you buy?

Your goal is quality, their's is profit. You aim to satisfy your own unique tastes and preferences, they aim to reach the broadest possible market. You have no motivation whatsoever to compromise, their entire business model is one gigantic compromise. Pretty cool hobby, eh? BigGrin

I really like the alpha/gluco from Brewhaus. It's very reasonably priced, you know what you're getting, and you can get the documentation. There are so many products out there that are total unknowns ... so I'm not inclinded to waste tens of pounds of grain and hours of my time by rolling the dice. I'm glad the mystery enzyme worked out for you ... so now at least you know what you can get out of it. I'll have to give the LHBS mystery enzymes a shot in a mini-mash or something on the small test scale.

I just finished a rice mash using the liquid enzymes from Enzymash (SEBstar and SEBamyl) about a week ago ... it's still fermenting though ... it'll probably go at least another week ... so I'll have to wait to see how low it will finish. But if you're finishing at 1.000 I'd say that was a successful mash. I've yet to have a rice mash finish below 1.005.

Anyway, at this point I consider a few ounces of good alpha and gluco to be almost as fundamental as yeast and water when working with grains ... even when the recipe calls for barley and/or wheat malt. It's become my no-brainer additive. Wink Great stuff to keep on hand.

Best Regards,
--JB
Offline Jctab73  
#20 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 12:59:00 PM(UTC)
Jctab73

It's smoother because it is better than shelf booze. The amount of time and good energy you put into it from step 1 is what your getting back. Sip and enjoy my man.....