logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Gravelier  
#21 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 3:08:43 PM(UTC)
Gravelier

Groups: Registered

Thanks Guys (I think - There are some good female distillers out there)

I used to really enjoy what I used to think was a good bourbon on the rock (ice). Now I question my sanity at such a thought. This is such a mistery (good thing) to me. Got started in this on a whim. Thinking it was a good hobby to start. Keeps the mind occupied, etc. But now, I wonder why I didn't get started into distilling a long time ago. I started brewing beer probably 30 years ago because I thought it was much better than what you could buy back then. Actually enjoying a Hop Devil clone right now. I have been telling friends, discretly about my distilling excursions. I will have to get some of them over and do a side by side taste test. They don't believe me that it is better by far then what you buy. I have trouble believing it myself. But its true.

BTW, placed an order today at Brewhaus for A and G amylase and some other stuff. Its good to know that the Alpha from Brewhaus converts at about 140-150 because this is near where normal 2 or 6 row barley converts. Do you know a target temp for the gluco?

I started a corn/wheat/barley mash last night. Let it cool overnight and aerated this morning. I read a discussion where someone tried 3 different yeasts side-by-side including a bread yeast, and got pretty good results from the bread yeast. Haven't been able to find some distillers AG yeast, (Brewhaus is out of stock) so I pitched some Red Star bread yeast this morning. The stuff looks really happy after about 12 hours and about an inch and a half of foam on the fermentor. If it turns out good, I got a good idea on what I will be using in the future. Normally, I use all hard water at about 45 grain of hardness. This time I used all soft water. Never stop experimenting. We'll see how this experiment turns out.

I was hoping to get my OG a little higher. I will probably only get about 7% ABV at the end of the ferment. Don't worry, be happy. If you don't have sipping whiskey avail, have a homebrew.
Offline Jctab73  
#22 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 5:10:13 AM(UTC)
Jctab73

Hey JB, do you have a standard gain bill for a 6 gal ag wash that you prefer that works best with the enzymes your talking about. Or could you point me the right direction for a step by step one. I just ordered them also. Thanks
Offline John Barleycorn  
#23 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 9:32:03 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"
Quote:
Do you know a target temp for the gluco?

BA-100: 55 - 75 C (131 - 167 F), pH 4.5 - 7.0 (Alpha-amylase)
GA-100: 55 - 60 C (131 - 140 F), pH 2.8 - 5.5 (glucoamylase)

You can push the temps a bit. The alpha will need some Ca++, but keep it below 100 ppm. When using BA-100, I just shoot for 70 ppm Ca++ and call it a day. I never tried to apply both at the same time by getting the mash into the overlap ranges.

--JB"
Offline John Barleycorn  
#24 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 9:40:48 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Quote:
do you have a standard gain bill for a 6 gal ag wash that you prefer that works best with the enzymes your talking about.

Yeah ... 16 lbs medium grain Calrose rice. Wink Other than the occasional sugar wash, I've been all rice since last fall. I'm itching for some barley & oats ... but the enzymes are just a supplement to the malt.

I've been thinking about trying an all-oat mash with the enzymes ... I think someone over on MD was playing with that idea & that's what piqued my interest .... it sounded pretty tasty to me.