logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline captinjack  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 6:50:43 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Groups: Registered

"My still order was delivered at 10:30 am yesterday morning! BigGrin and everything was there and packaged very well. I was like a kid again at Christmas opening and unpacking everything... The still and kettle are a work of art the welds are flawless and everything shines nicely... Thanks Rick and the crew at Brewhaus...

Here is a pic showing mostly everything unpacked and laid out on the table...

UserPostedImage

And here is my kettle with the elect heating element and the drain valve installed...

UserPostedImage

And here is the tower set up with the bung with temp probe in the top and the parrot and jar set up on the table... Also since I won't be using the defuser plate for a gas burner I can use it for a lid on the carbon filter system...

UserPostedImage

I'll be doing some cleaning runs later today one with just water and than a 50/50 vinegar and water... When I got the notice that my order was shipping I started a gerber baby food recipe using heelers gerber with pics thread and it's getting close to being ready and I'll use that for my first run..."
Offline dieselduo  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 7:13:52 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
congrats! time for some fun now
Offline Maddawgs  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 10:37:51 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Hey Cap,
CONGRATS!!! Bet it was worth the wait. I would swap out the spring clamp hose connections for screw type hose clamps. I found that during my water run leak test as the water in the hoses heated up they started to leak. Also on your water run the column will heat up very fast, nothing like a spirit run. Another helpful hint is to attach some sort of a handle to the rubber bung. Once you kill your heat source the bung will start to suck down into the column. It will be very hot and hard to remove. I tried to use the temp probe as a pull handle and destroyed it. I used a small l bracket bent into a u shape with two screws into the bung, works great. Hope this helps you out.
Maddawgs
Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:48:02 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"
Quote:
I would swap out the spring clamp hose connections for screw type hose clamps.

+1 MD

That's very good advice. The spring clamps are junk. I've never had a leak since I switched to the screw type hose clamps. They go on real easy with a nut driver."
Offline Short Shot  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:52:31 AM(UTC)
Short Shot

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
That's a great looking outfit. I wish I hadn't been so hasty to buy an inferior unit.
Offline scotty  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 2:13:53 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Jack it looks like you forgot to order ((((( NOTHING LOL )))
Offline captinjack  
#7 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:07:21 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Originally Posted by: Maddawgs Go to Quoted Post
Hey Cap,
CONGRATS!!! Bet it was worth the wait. I would swap out the spring clamp hose connections for screw type hose clamps. I found that during my water run leak test as the water in the hoses heated up they started to leak. Also on your water run the column will heat up very fast, nothing like a spirit run. Another helpful hint is to attach some sort of a handle to the rubber bung. Once you kill your heat source the bung will start to suck down into the column. It will be very hot and hard to remove. I tried to use the temp probe as a pull handle and destroyed it. I used a small l bracket bent into a u shape with two screws into the bung, works great. Hope this helps you out.

Maddawgs

Hi MD,
Yes, It's been a long wait but defiantly worth it, the quality and workmanship speaks for it self. I had already purchased some hose clamps because you had mentioned earlier you had problems with the pinch clamps. I got a assortment box of hose clamps with plastic wing nuts on them for like $5.00, no tools required and they work very well... Thanks for the tip on the bung I'll get a handle on it today... I did the water test and than the 50/50 vinegar and water cleaning run, boiled the snot out of it and using the control box was for a actual flow run was fun, it sure is easy to control the flow with it, I didn't use tower cooling just the condenser cooling... What do you do with your cooling water valves just let them hang on the hoses or are the mounted to anything? I have a gerber wash I racked off yesterday and is clearing now that I'll use for my sacrificial run or is it necessary to use old or cheap wine and throw it out, I don't want to waste the gerber wash as I think it turned out pretty good, any thoughts on this anyone...
Captinjack
Offline captinjack  
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:16:41 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
Jack it looks like you forgot to order ((((( NOTHING LOL )))

Hey Scotty,
Yes I ordered plenty of stuff as I had lots of time to figure it all out and than ship it all at once I saved a lot on the shipping charges... All I need now is a lot of sugar. lol
Offline captinjack  
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:21:05 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Originally Posted by: Short Shot Go to Quoted Post
That's a great looking outfit. I wish I hadn't been so hasty to buy an inferior unit.

Hi Short Shot,
I can't remember, what did you get? I know it was a long wait for me but I'm glad I waited...
Captinjack
Offline Bushy  
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 4:38:37 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi captinjack, glad it arrived in good ship shape. Save the gerber and run some cheap wine. The cheaper the better since your going to throw it out.
No need to run a lot a couple bottles of 2 buck chuk will do fine, just add the same ammount of water for volume.
Offline Maddawgs  
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:31:12 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: captinjack Go to Quoted Post
Hi MD,
Yes, It's been a long wait but defiantly worth it, the quality and workmanship speaks for it self. I had already purchased some hose clamps because you had mentioned earlier you had problems with the pinch clamps. I got a assortment box of hose clamps with plastic wing nuts on them for like $5.00, no tools required and they work very well... Thanks for the tip on the bung I'll get a handle on it today... I did the water test and than the 50/50 vinegar and water cleaning run, boiled the snot out of it and using the control box was for a actual flow run was fun, it sure is easy to control the flow with it, I didn't use tower cooling just the condenser cooling... What do you do with your cooling water valves just let them hang on the hoses or are the mounted to anything? I have a gerber wash I racked off yesterday and is clearing now that I'll use for my sacrificial run or is it necessary to use old or cheap wine and throw it out, I don't want to waste the gerber wash as I think it turned out pretty good, any thoughts on this anyone...
Captinjack

Hi Cap,
I'm a bit late on this response but I will second what Bushy said. Do a cheap wine run and save your gerber for a good run..
Maddawgs
Offline Maddawgs  
#12 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 7:32:30 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
+1 MD

That's very good advice. The spring clamps are junk. I've never had a leak since I switched to the screw type hose clamps. They go on real easy with a nut driver.

Thanks JB,
I think I actually got the tip from you.
Maddawgs
Offline scotty  
#13 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:11:21 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Jack does your drain valve double as a drain for the carbon filter???
Offline captinjack  
#14 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:32:37 AM(UTC)
captinjack

"
Quote:
I got a assortment box of hose clamps with plastic wing nuts on them for like $5.00, no tools required and they work very well...

I meant to add that I got the hose clamps at Harbor Freight in case any one wants to know..."
Offline captinjack  
#15 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 8:38:05 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
Jack does your drain valve double as a drain for the carbon filter???

Are you asking if I am going to use the kettle for the container to drain the filtered product into? or use the valve on the bottom of the filter tube. Either way it's 2" so yes it does.
Offline RCRed  
#16 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 10:59:06 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Bushy Go to Quoted Post
.... a couple bottles of 2 buck chuk......
And see, I went and got a gallon jug of 2 buck chuk (But, then agin, I wanted the glass gallon jug it came in...:) )
Offline captinjack  
#17 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:25:43 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Originally Posted by: RoyseCityRed Go to Quoted Post
And see, I went and got a gallon jug of 2 buck chuk (But, then agin, I wanted the glass gallon jug it came in...:) )

Hey RCR,
Good Idea I was just going to head out to the store, good timing on that... I could use a glass gallon jug...
Thanks Captinjack
Offline RCRed  
#18 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:48:05 PM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
"Took me a while to get over chucklin' at the ""Buck Chuk"" label BigGrin

The brand Safeway (Aka Tom Thumb in my parts) carries is like 12 bucks for a gallon, and they have a white and a red, and the red was in a green glass gallon jug if I remember right....Loved the expiration label Best before.. This Thursday Wink

Cheers..."
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#19 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 2:23:56 AM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

Congratulations, ur gonna love it!
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline Maddawgs  
#20 Posted : Monday, April 22, 2013 11:47:37 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Hi CJ,
Did you get a chance to do your alcohol run (cheap wine)? How did your gerber run go?
Maddawgs