logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

3 Pages<123
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Maddawgs  
#41 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:15:13 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
MD I dont have TV in my home-- Not any religious reason-- I just wont spend the $$$ for nothing. HOWEVER i regret never having seen that moonshine show. There was sooo much commentary on brewhaus about it. It must be fun to watch.

Hi Scotty,
It is stupid funny and tickle is a riot. His Christmas show was great. The show is also dangerous for those that don't do some research. You could end up with a junk still and a bad process that will combine to give you a bad product.
Maddawgs
Offline oledude  
#42 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 3:27:34 AM(UTC)
oledude

Hello All,
Must admit the Moonshiners show got me interested in this hobby. Love the show even though I know a lot of it is not reality. On the other hand I grew up in the mountains of NC and believe me there are plenty of folks up there just like what you see on the show. But I'm sure the show's producers create many of the situations to make for more interesting TV. Generally mountain folk, especially moonshiners, are suspicious of outsiders and don't reveal much of their personal lives.

Anyhow the show got me interested and I've been doing a lot of reading. Just finished reading Ian Smiley's Making Pure Corn Whiskey. Also much reading on this forum and the home distiller forum. I'm about ready to order my first still and have pretty much decided on the Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity- Complete Distiller from Brewhaus with the 15 gal premium kettle. I would rather stay away from propane as a heat source but doubt the hot plates would be satisfactory for a 15 gal kettle. I'm really liking what I've read about the internal wh elements but I'm not an electrical guru either. Just finished reading captinjack's thread MY alternative to a router speed control but I know I don't have the electrical expertise to tackle buiding that. I would be willing to pay to have one built but don't know any local electrician that I'd trust enough to hire. You know all those questions bout "what you gonna do with this" etc.

Anyhow, what would ya'll recommend. I pretty much need something "plug & play" that don't require a lot of wiring skills. I understand I can request Brewhaus to install the necessary fittings in the kettle for the wh element but what else will I need? Do I need 2 elements or just one? I do not have a 220v outlet in my shop but could probably get one installed if that would be better. Should I stick with the RSC or is there other better alternatives? Just wanna make sure I'm getting it right before I pull the trigger on the order.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I do understand that I need to do my own research but here lately it seems the more I read the more confused I get.
Oledude
Offline scotty  
#43 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 5:00:31 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"if you used the captains setup you could run 1 220 volt element. Dont hesitate to ask any question-- With your positivve attitude everyone will be glad to help.

try one question at at a time--- We all actually like all questions even the repeated ones :)"
Offline flht01  
#44 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 5:29:39 AM(UTC)
flht01

Welcome to the site oledude, I think you'll really like it here.

If your running 240v one element is plenty. I can heat a 10 gallon wash in about 35 minutes.

if your going to use 120v circuits, I'd recommend using two elements. I read on either this site or home distiller where one of the members used one 120v element with an RSC and the other element plugged into the outlet (separate circuit) during heat up only.

You can build the heat controller to run on 240v, 120v or both and it really works great.
Offline captinjack  
#45 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 7:10:05 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Hi olddude,
Welcome to the site, folks here are friendly and knowledgeable,any questions just ask away.

If your going to have a 220/240v circuit put in your shop make sure it's 30amp service to handle a 5500 watt element. That's what I am using and really like it...

If your going to use 110/120v and use two elements you need to run each one on it's own circuit so you need to have 2 separate circuits...

I built a control box for another member here and when I ordered all the parts I ordered two of everything just in case anything was defective, all was fine so I had all the parts to build another one so I did and was just about to offer it up for sale on the site here. So if your are interested just send me a PM and let me know...

Captinjack
Offline Maddawgs  
#46 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 12:33:41 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: oledude Go to Quoted Post
Hello All,
Must admit the Moonshiners show got me interested in this hobby. Love the show even though I know a lot of it is not reality. On the other hand I grew up in the mountains of NC and believe me there are plenty of folks up there just like what you see on the show. But I'm sure the show's producers create many of the situations to make for more interesting TV. Generally mountain folk, especially moonshiners, are suspicious of outsiders and don't reveal much of their personal lives.

Anyhow the show got me interested and I've been doing a lot of reading. Just finished reading Ian Smiley's Making Pure Corn Whiskey. Also much reading on this forum and the home distiller forum. I'm about ready to order my first still and have pretty much decided on the Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity- Complete Distiller from Brewhaus with the 15 gal premium kettle. I would rather stay away from propane as a heat source but doubt the hot plates would be satisfactory for a 15 gal kettle. I'm really liking what I've read about the internal wh elements but I'm not an electrical guru either. Just finished reading captinjack's thread MY alternative to a router speed control but I know I don't have the electrical expertise to tackle buiding that. I would be willing to pay to have one built but don't know any local electrician that I'd trust enough to hire. You know all those questions bout "what you gonna do with this" etc.

Anyhow, what would ya'll recommend. I pretty much need something "plug & play" that don't require a lot of wiring skills. I understand I can request Brewhaus to install the necessary fittings in the kettle for the wh element but what else will I need? Do I need 2 elements or just one? I do not have a 220v outlet in my shop but could probably get one installed if that would be better. Should I stick with the RSC or is there other better alternatives? Just wanna make sure I'm getting it right before I pull the trigger on the order.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I do understand that I need to do my own research but here lately it seems the more I read the more confused I get.
Oledude

Hi Oledude,
I also followed capnjack's thread and was so impressed that I contacted him. He built one for me set up to run on 110v and I can tell you that it offers very precise control over the heating element. I use two 2000w 110v elements with one connected to this controller. I highly reccomend this over a router speed contoller.
Maddawgs
Offline Batch  
#47 Posted : Wednesday, May 01, 2013 1:41:05 AM(UTC)
Batch

Mine showed up yesterday. Sittin' there on the front porch when I got home from work! Can't wait to get it going!
Offline captinjack  
#48 Posted : Wednesday, May 01, 2013 2:38:12 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Originally Posted by: Batch Go to Quoted Post
Mine showed up yesterday. Sittin' there on the front porch when I got home from work! Can't wait to get it going!

CONGRATS!!! I know it took awhile but it's worth the wait. I did what Maddawgs suggested on the first page of this thread and replaced the spring style hose clamps and screwed a bracket into the top of the rubber bung for a handle and if I were you I would too...
Captinjack
Offline Batch  
#49 Posted : Wednesday, May 01, 2013 2:52:22 AM(UTC)
Batch

"
Originally Posted by: captinjack Go to Quoted Post
CONGRATS!!! I know it took awhile but it's worth the wait. I did what Maddawgs suggested on the first page of this thread and replaced the spring style hose clamps and screwed a bracket into the top of the rubber bung for a handle and if I were you I would too...
Captinjack

I planned on doing just that with the clamps. I'll have to check out the bung idea, sounds like that's the way to go!"
Offline Hokey  
#50 Posted : Saturday, May 04, 2013 3:37:53 AM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
The end of the wait is near! Just got the "shipped" e-mail. YEAH. Just another 1772.4 miles to go. Got my third generation of corn working and stripping it all and saving it for my first real run. Just like everyone else "I can't wait".
Offline Maddawgs  
#51 Posted : Saturday, May 04, 2013 1:04:43 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Hokey Go to Quoted Post
The end of the wait is near! Just got the "shipped" e-mail. YEAH. Just another 1772.4 miles to go. Got my third generation of corn working and stripping it all and saving it for my first real run. Just like everyone else "I can't wait".

Hey Hokey,
Congrats I'm sure you will be very happy when it arrives at your door. you'll have to post some pics.
Maddawgs
Offline captinjack  
#52 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2013 11:22:55 AM(UTC)
captinjack

"Hi Hokey,
Glad to here your order is on it's way! Won""t be long now and it will be at your door... Let us know how your run turns out.
Captinjack"
Offline Hokey  
#53 Posted : Monday, May 06, 2013 3:35:08 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Thanks. Expecting delivery Thurs. Maybe cleaning run Fri. but a couple days before anything else. You know, that "work" thing. I'll keep you informed.
Offline Amadhunter  
#54 Posted : Tuesday, May 07, 2013 4:28:34 PM(UTC)
Amadhunter

I think they are finally going to get my PSII HC shipped to me. I called last Thursday and they told me it would go out Fri. or Mon. I waited till today to call back and the welder still hadn't finished with it. She said it would be at my house this Fri. though.
Edited: Got the shipped notification today! UPS scheduled to deliver Friday the 10th. Phew..........
Offline Hokey  
#55 Posted : Thursday, May 09, 2013 5:28:34 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Time to stop playing and go to bed. I put a couple of pics in the "Show off your stills" thread in "Ettiquite and Ideas" section.