logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline pilot bob  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 5:06:38 AM(UTC)
pilot bob

Groups: Registered

Has anyone ever considered packing a thumper with copper mesh??? Seems to me it would improve the abv even more.
Offline Bushy  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 5:50:22 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi Pilot Bob, When useing a thumper you put some of your mash in it for the liquid that is needed. That adds more flavor. The addition of copper mesh would probably take more flavor out.
I've never done it but I only use 1 roll of mesh in the column during a pot still run because useing more takes more flavor out. That I have done.
Bushy attached the following image(s):
test%20size.jpg (213kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
Full%20setup.jpg (227kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline pilot bob  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:23:12 AM(UTC)
pilot bob

I'm trying to get my run as pure and neutral as possible for making flavored drinks such as lemoncelo. I have a brewhaus column and was always running it thru twice to get above 80%. I just got thru making a double thumper and now I'm making only 1 run and getting 82%, real happy with this result. I was just thinking if this idea would work. I like experimenting.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 7:58:34 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Bob,

Quote:
I have a brewhaus column and was always running it thru twice to get above 80%.

You should be doing much better than that. I think you'll much more bang for the buck by improving your technique.

--JB
Offline pilot bob  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:09:32 AM(UTC)
pilot bob

[ATTACH=CONFIG]738[/ATTACH]How?? I'm running as slow as I can where I'm just getting a drip or a small stream. What else can I do?? i've attached a pic of the thumpers.
pilot bob attached the following image(s):
thumper setup 006 - Copy.JPG (212kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 10:40:31 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Tell us how you run your rig and what you are using for power. You turn on the power/light it off then .... ???

How long do you hold it in reflux? How do you control the collection rate and power? Is the column fully packed with copper, rings, scrubbers?
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 11:18:54 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
Tell us how you run your rig and what you are using for power. You turn on the power/light it off then .... ???

How long do you hold it in reflux? How do you control the collection rate and power? Is the column fully packed with copper, rings, scrubbers?

John, did he tell us about his mashing and fermenting method in detail???
Offline ratflinger  
#8 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 3:40:39 PM(UTC)
ratflinger

PB - please give us the details. I run a 3" column & consistently produce 92% with sharp delineation between the heads, hearts & tails. A good strip and at least an hour of reflux goes a long ways to making the highest end stuff. Wife makes excellent lemoncello, amongst other things.

Thumper is for corn liquor anyway, kind of a waste on a neutral rig.
Offline Wewtster  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 16, 2013 8:28:10 PM(UTC)
Wewtster

Thumpers are typically meant for a pot still...
Offline pilot bob  
#10 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:26:59 AM(UTC)
pilot bob

I have a 15 gal beer keg with a brewhaus Pro Series II, 2" column filled with copper mesh. I make wine and will often have more than what I need or someone will give me some wine that didn't turn out so good. That's what goes in the keg and is usually anywhere between 12-15% al.
I fill the keg with 10 gals of wine and heat the keg with a propane burner. I start out high to get the temp going and as soon as I feel some heat on the column I turn the burner down and wait for the run to start. I discard the first 100ml. I adjust the heat so as to get just a drip or very small stream.
In the past when using just the column I would first do a stripping run and end up with a couple gals of 50%. Then when I had 10 gals of fist run I would load up the keg and do a final run with the temp as low as I could get. I usually ended up around 85%.
So I began thinking about using a thumper and running it once. I built the thumper using a 1/2 gal mason jar connected to the outlet of the column with no cooling at the column and a worm box for cooling after the thumper. This worked well the first time we tried it and I thought why not do a double thumper since I had to buy a case of mason jars.
I ran this system and checked the al. thru out the run every half hour and got 85% at the beginning and 80% at the end for an av of 83%.
I will use this for soaking with lemon, oranges and lime zest and then make up sugar water and dilute to 35-40% al. If I want brandy I'll soak it with charred oak cubes from old wine barrels.
That's about all the information I can think of to give you. If you have more questions, please do ask and thank you to all for your advice. Sorry about the picture, I'm still trying to figure out how to get a picture posted.
Offline heeler  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 8:39:49 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"As for pic posting...go to Photobucket and creat a account its really easy to do. then use ur cell for the pics, download them to ur computer and then upload them to Photobucket and when its time you download them from Photobucket to the site. It sounds like a lot but its pretty easy really.

I was gonna ask for better pics to see how your thumpers are in the system - hope you get it figgered out so we can see and maybe help you with your setup."
Offline pilot bob  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 12:01:27 PM(UTC)
pilot bob

[ATTACH=CONFIG]739[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]740[/ATTACH]
Here are my pics finally have them sized correctly.
The pic showing the full setup is working with 1 thumper, the closeup is after I put two thumpers together.
Offline ratflinger  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 2:39:19 PM(UTC)
ratflinger

OK, I assume from the joint in the middle you have a reflux column, so why aren't you refluxing? Running strip is correct, get it in pot mode as fast as possible. When you have enough strip dump it & an equal amount of water into your kettle & bring it up to temp. As soon as you get any output throw the reflux water on high & let it run for an hour, at least. The slowly reduce your reflux feed, temp will come up & can level it at 78*. Collect this in small jars until you learn how to tell the taste difference on the fly. At that point you should be pulling 92%. Run this until you hit tails & then kill the reflux water & strip the tails for next time.
Offline pilot bob  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:24:17 AM(UTC)
pilot bob

If I understand you correctly, your running your still twice. I'm trying to get that result in one run thereby saving on propane.
Offline googe  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:06:48 PM(UTC)
googe

I thought glass thumpers were a no no?. Explosions, cracks?.
Offline muadib2001  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 3:03:40 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

I agree with Googe.
Offline pilot bob  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 4:53:41 PM(UTC)
pilot bob

I'm using 1/2 gal mason jars. There designed and built to handle the heat from boiling water. So far I have not had any problems using them.
Offline googe  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2013 10:07:56 PM(UTC)
googe

Thats good mate, I wasn't sure, just remember reading it somewhere, would hate to see someone burnt badly.
Offline ratflinger  
#19 Posted : Thursday, February 21, 2013 11:23:09 AM(UTC)
ratflinger

Originally Posted by: pilot bob Go to Quoted Post
If I understand you correctly, your running your still twice. I'm trying to get that result in one run thereby saving on propane.

And yet you are happy with subpar product
Offline jack  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 7:49:17 AM(UTC)
jack

Hi Bob Iam trying to use a tumper , with a thumper what temp is your still and what temp is your thumper?