logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline pilot bob  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:26:34 AM(UTC)
pilot bob

Groups: Registered

Hi,
Once I get the lower column hot I reduce the heat so it's just dripping. The temp at the top of the column is 80 C. I don't have a way to check the temp of the thumper. I am thinking of doing it but as long as it's producing a drip then I think I'm doing right. If it goes to a stream then I turn the heat down. I'm using a propane stove under a beer keg.
Offline heeler  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 8:32:09 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"When I used a thumper I found that I had to increase the cooking temp to push the steam or vapor through the thumper liquid as it got deeper...

I found that a thumper (or glass jar in my case) was a good way to keep track of the end of the run as I could see the cloudy oily tails in the jar before they got in my keeper jug.

I never had one break during cooking but the whole glass thing IS something to consider."
Offline pilot bob  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2013 3:09:02 PM(UTC)
pilot bob

Groups: Registered

Agree with you on the glass. I"m using Mason canning jars 1/2 gal size and they are built to withstand the heat. Have not had any problems. Because I'm using a double thumper and the jars are close to each other I put a thick piece of cloth between them to prevent them from banging into each other. If your patient with the temp it will work but does take awhile. And watching for the cloudy in the first jar is critical. Shut it down right away.