logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Maddawgs  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 3:00:58 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Groups: Registered

Ok, I finally set up and used the basic pvc or plastic filter system that comes with the gold fermenter kit. While I'm not crazy in love with it and it was a gigantic pain in the ass to set up it did do the job and did not cost 130 bucks. First thing you want to do is put the filter system together. Take one of the tubes and generously coat the first 1 1/2 inches with the sealant, slide on one of the 3 inch outer sleeves about halfway, give it a gentle turn while sliding it on to evenly spread the sealant. I think the sleeves are a bit to large for the tubes they cover and a great source of leaks-so when I say a generous amount of sealant I mean a lot to the point where it can drip off. I set up a jig so at horizontal it with the sleeves on would sit level. Give a few minutes for the sealant to set up and then grap the second tube, generously coat the first 1 1/2 inches with sealant and while holding the sleeve gently turn the tube while pushing in to meet the first tube. Push both tube sections together and hold for a few minutes while the sealant to set up. It is important to keep the assembly as level as you can while the sealant sets up. Give the assembly a few mminutes to set up and repeat the process to add the third section of tube and second sleeve. Now let the whole assembly sit level for about 24 hours until the sealant cures. Time to get your carbon washed and ready to use. Grab your bag of carbon (one bag will fill the tube) and a good sized bucket (2 gallon size is plenty). Pour all of the carbon from the bag into the bucket and cover with warm water (gallon to a gallon and a half). Give it all a good stir and let it sit for 20 or 30 minutes to let the carbon settle to the bottom and all the ash and oils float to the top. Gently pour off the water and all the muck floating on top of the water. Try to not pour off the settled carbon. Recover with water, stir and let sit for seperation, pour off the crap and repeat. 3 times should be enough and after the 3rd time you can let the carbon sit overnight. Here is a good tip. Find a way to temporarily plug one end of your tube assembly and fill it with water, note and repair any leaks (remember the sleeves are a bit to large for the tubes), repeat until there are no more leaks. You don't want to wait until the tube is filled with wet carbon to find out you have a leak (don't ask how I found my leaksSadCursing). When you are sure you have no leaks attach 8-10 coffee filters to one end of the tube using the supplied hose clamp. I just shaped the filters around the tube end and the slid the hose clamp over that and tightened (tip: Before placling the coffee filters over the tube end I place a temp probe in the tube). Next place the rubber sleeve on the tapered end of the funnel and squeeze it into top of the tube assembly. Take the screen out of the funnel, you won't need it. Take your wet carbon and start slowly filling up the tube assembly. Put a good sized spoonful in the funnel and tap the tube until it carbon works its way down the tube. You want to fill the tube and not have any gaps in the carbon. repeat until all the carbon is in the tube. This is a pain in the ass and it takes some time to do. When the carbon tube assembly is all ready I would suggest firmly securing it to something that will hold it while you filter your product. This tube filled with carbon and your product will be heavy and if not secured will fall. I clamped mine to a 6 foot wire rack high enough so the bottom would just fit in a 25l ferment bucket. When the filter assembly is finally secured and ready to use I would suggest pouring in about 2 quarts of very hot water (not boiling just very hot 120f is good). This is why I put the temp probe in the bottom. You have to keep the carbon wet thru the entire filter process and this will help tell you when the hot water will have filtered out and your alcohol is now coming out. Also when you are done filtering your alcohol the carbon is still holding an entire tubes worth so you put in another 2 quarts of very hot water and when the temp probe starts registering the hotter temp you will know that you got all of your alcohol. I have to say that carbon filtering is a very long process (it took me 10 hours to do 10 quarts)-almost as long as the distilling process but if you need to clean up a bad taste or oder in you product even the basic filter system will work. Like I said even though I'm not crazy about it and it was a gigantic pain in the ass to set up--it did work and it did not cost 130 bucks. I also think the if the sleeves were a better fit to the tubes it would actually be a pretty good system. Hope this helps you out and as always I welcome and want your comments, suggestions, and ideas.
Maddawgs
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 3:41:59 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Md,

I'm just curious about the safety issues ... PVC, sealants and high proof alcohol makes me uneasy?? Are their any guidelines or safety notices with respect to maximum abv that you can run through the unit?

--JB
Offline captinjack  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 4:29:25 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Maddawgs,
Thanks for your report on the basic system, I was going to order the gold fermenter kit for one of my kits but I decided to just order 2 bronze kits and bite the bullet and I ordered the stainless filter system. Now after reading your report I'm glad I went that way... Thanks for easing my mind on spending the extra $...
Captinjack
Offline Maddawgs  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 5:27:33 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
Md,

I'm just curious about the safety issues ... PVC, sealants and high proof alcohol makes me uneasy?? Are their any guidelines or safety notices with respect to maximum abv that you can run through the unit?

--JB

Hi JB,
I'm going on the faith that Rick and his crew at Brewhaus love us and would only use food grade (I'm assuming pvc) and sealants to keep us alive and buying Brewhaus products. I saw no safety notices on the product itself. I would think that since it is not good to run high abv alcohol thru carbon (I'm sure I read that somewhere) and we all know high abv alcohol and plastics don't mix well due to leaching that as long as you dilute to around 40% (mine was diluted to 55%) you should be ok.
Maddawgs
Offline Maddawgs  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 5:37:27 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: captinjack Go to Quoted Post
Maddawgs,
Thanks for your report on the basic system, I was going to order the gold fermenter kit for one of my kits but I decided to just order 2 bronze kits and bite the bullet and I ordered the stainless filter system. Now after reading your report I'm glad I went that way... Thanks for easing my mind on spending the extra $...
Captinjack

Hi CJ,
Hey glad to hear you got your order in. If I had the extra cash at the time I would have gone with the stainless set up also. If I have cash in the future it is on my want list. I have to stress that once you get the basic system together and leak free (tighter sleeves would eliminate 90% of the leak issues) it will work identical to the stainless system and with either system you'll still have the pain in the ass time consuming part of washing and loading the carbon in the tube and the time to filter will be about the same. For those that are like myself and a bit short of cash after buying the still and other supplies it is a good choice and will do the job.
Maddawgs
Offline captinjack  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 4:05:44 PM(UTC)
captinjack

Md,
I didn't really have the extra cash rite now but after I found out how long of a wait I am looking at on my order I have more time to come up with the extra cash, and after I looked at the difference in price it's only like $80.00. I like your method of using the hot water to tell you when the alcohol is done filtering. About how long did it take from when you added the hot to when the temp started going up on your thermometer? Have you tasted your product after you filtered it how did it come out?
Captinjack
Offline Maddawgs  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 07, 2013 11:46:50 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: captinjack Go to Quoted Post
Md,
I didn't really have the extra cash rite now but after I found out how long of a wait I am looking at on my order I have more time to come up with the extra cash, and after I looked at the difference in price it's only like $35. - $40... I like your method of using the hot water to tell you when the alcohol is done filtering. About how long did it take from when you added the hot to when the temp started going up on your thermometer? Have you tasted your product after you filtered it how did it come out?
Captinjack

Hi CJ,
It was about 12 minutes. It was about an hour a quart to run thru the filter. The taste was a lot better but I think I will run it all thru again. So far thru this whole process I think the one important lesson I have learned is that Turbos are not worth the trouble. Yes they do work but the chance for unwanted byproducts that cause bad flavors is high. I'm positive that the mistakes I made during ferment did not help. The product is drinkable and before filtering was at best low quality. It is a lot better now and I'm sure it will be even better after another filter cycle or two. For now I am done with turbos and my next run I will use lavlin ec-1118.
Maddawgs
Offline scotty  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 1:21:47 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

are you going to wash the carbon before re using it??
Offline Maddawgs  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 7:29:38 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
are you going to wash the carbon before re using it??

Hi Scotty,
Hey, glad to hear from you. It was initiallly washed 3 times before the first use and I think (and I could be wrong) that it is good for 2 or 3 runs before it has to be baked and recleaned. I also think (and again I could be wrong) that running the very hot water thru first will help clear out any left over crap from the previous use so I had not planned on recleaning it until after the third use. If you or any of our other more experienced members have better advice or if any parts of my current procees seem off to you I more than welcome (and want) what ever advice you have to offer. I am sill very much a newbie and it is the experience of you and other members that have helped me learn what I have so far.
Maddawgs
Offline heeler  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 8:06:27 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"I found that pouring VERY hot water (not still boiling) through it before useing it again is really the ticket. It seemed to clean it up nicely for me. I gave it the smell test and that seemed to work - no residual smells or flavors. So a good rinse worked in my case.
Just another note, in my water conditioning system they change it once a year, how much goes through the carbon in a year who knows but if we only put 10 gallons a year through it in likker well, man thats like nothing."
Offline Maddawgs  
#11 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 8:22:09 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
I found that pouring VERY hot water (not still boiling) through it before useing it again is really the ticket. It seemed to clean it up nicely for me. I gave it the smell test and that seemed to work - no residual smells or flavors. So a good rinse worked in my case.
Just another note, in my water conditioning system they change it once a year, how much goes through the carbon in a year who knows but if we only put 10 gallons a year through it in likker well, man thats like nothing.

Hi Heeler,
Thanks. my 10 quarts of 55% run thru 3 times along with about 8 quarts of very hot water should keep me under 10 gallons. I'm glad I guessed right. I've done and continue to do a ton of research on our hobby and was pretty sure I had read somewhere about the carbon filter process. With all the research I do I sometimes get data overload so it is good to get some feedback from the pros.
Thanks, Maddawgs
Offline scotty  
#12 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 10:53:30 AM(UTC)
scotty

I would be tempted to re read gert strands instructions.
Offline admin  
#13 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 11:12:08 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Quote:

We do not use PVC- it does not have a great tolerance to ethanol. We use a more ethanol tolerant plastic, and non-acetic cured silicone so that it will not leach into the spirit.
Offline Maddawgs  
#14 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 12:35:10 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Admin Go to Quoted Post
We do not use PVC- it does not have a great tolerance to ethanol. We use a more ethanol tolerant plastic, and non-acetic cured silicone so that it will not leach into the spirit.

See, I knew you and your crew at brewhaus loved us.
Maddawgs
Offline Maddawgs  
#15 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 12:47:54 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
I would be tempted to re read gert strands instructions.

Hi Scotty,
I just finished rereading it and I was pretty much on track with my process. I could have used hotter water during my wash and done another cycle or 2. I did not see in the book anything on the amount of alcohol filtered before it had to be washed again. I also found the switching between how it would be done commercially and how the home hobby distiller would do it to be confusing. Is there a good source of information for home hobby distiller on carbon filtering?
Thanks, Maddawgs
Offline admin  
#16 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2013 3:06:27 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Quote:
See, I knew you and your crew at brewhaus loved us.

Love is such a strong word. Tongue
Offline John Barleycorn  
#17 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2013 3:25:37 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: Admin Go to Quoted Post

Duh! One quick look at the product description would have told me that ... I should've followed my own advice and done more reading! Blushing"
Offline RCRed  
#18 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2013 4:56:54 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Maddawgs and others - THANK YOU - I am at the point of assemblin' my plastic one, was almost ready to sell some of the wifes jewelry to get the stainless one, but if'n it's the same PITA as the plastic, I might as well use what I got in the gold kit. I'm gonna echo something - putting together grandkids toys on Xmas eve is easier that getting this kit together. (or, I was drunk an din' care at the time )

I was sittin there postulatin' how in the heck these sleeves are gonna make a good seal and can i re-egineer it some how.. Almost to the point of designing a stainless setup with kind of a Z shape, and where ya can break it down to empty and clean on occasion.. Expensive and impossible to conceal... BigGrin But, I'd bet that sucker'd work BigGrin

I read somewhere here (product review) some fellow tacked his to a plywood board or sumpin..
Offline cypherlock  
#19 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:46:25 AM(UTC)
cypherlock

Red, I used bungie cords to tie mine to the wire shelving in the garage.
Offline scotty  
#20 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:53:04 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: Maddawgs Go to Quoted Post
Hi Scotty,
I just finished rereading it and I was pretty much on track with my process. I could have used hotter water during my wash and done another cycle or 2. I did not see in the book anything on the amount of alcohol filtered before it had to be washed again. I also found the switching between how it would be done commercially and how the home hobby distiller would do it to be confusing. Is there a good source of information for home hobby distiller on carbon filtering?
Thanks, Maddawgs

I understand with a proper washing, the carbon is about 90 % efficient and re usabla over and over again."