logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Maddawgs  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:22:00 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Groups: Registered

Just an update, after the second run thru the filter and a few blind taste tests against a $30 premium vodka--my homemade won everytime. To my personal taste it was equal with just a hint of a harsh after taste. The premiun is 40 abv and mine is 52 abv so that may be it. I may run it thru one more time just to make it superior to the premium.
Maddawgs
Offline John Barleycorn  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:54:22 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Md,

I think you should have no trouble achieving the same results even without the filtering.

Also, make sure you set at least some aside for 5 - 7 weeks. If you want more table vodka, just do another run! :)

I always notice a change somewhere around the 6 week point. I don't do anything special, just let it sit in its bottle. It loses the fruity nose and smooths out a bit. I haven't found a good explanation of why, but there is a definite change. I've read (I think it was on HD) that some vodka manufacturers don't bottle until the product has been sitting for about that amount of time.

--JB"
Offline okie  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:31:06 AM(UTC)
okie

You can re activate charcoal with boiling water. I remove my charcoal and place it in a stainless pot and boil it for about 10 minutes. It jumps on the stove when it's boiling but that makes the charcoal release what it filtered out. Oh yeah, I use distilled water for this. When you filter it out, you can smell the odd odor of the alcohol in the water. This way you can reuse the charcoal about 5 times.
Offline Maddawgs  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:04:32 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
Md,

I think you should have no trouble achieving the same results even without the filtering.

Also, make sure you set at least some aside for 5 - 7 weeks. If you want more table vodka, just do another run! :)

I always notice a change somewhere around the 6 week point. I don't do anything special, just let it sit in its bottle. It loses the fruity nose and smooths out a bit. I haven't found a good explanation of why, but there is a definite change. I've read (I think it was on HD) that some vodka manufacturers don't bottle until the product has been sitting for about that amount of time.

--JB

Hi JB,
Mine is already bottled and corked. Will it still mellow or should it be uncorked and still in mason jars? It does taste very good right now.
Maddawgs
Offline Maddawgs  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:05:29 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: okie Go to Quoted Post
You can re activate charcoal with boiling water. I remove my charcoal and place it in a stainless pot and boil it for about 10 minutes. It jumps on the stove when it's boiling but that makes the charcoal release what it filtered out. Oh yeah, I use distilled water for this. When you filter it out, you can smell the odd odor of the alcohol in the water. This way you can reuse the charcoal about 5 times.

Hi okie,
Thanks for tip.
Maddawgs
Offline tikisteve  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:59:40 AM(UTC)
tikisteve

"
Originally Posted by: RoyseCityRed Go to Quoted Post
Maddawgs and others - THANK YOU - I am at the point of assemblin' my plastic one, was almost ready to sell some of the wifes jewelry to get the stainless one, but if'n it's the same PITA as the plastic, I might as well use what I got in the gold kit. I'm gonna echo something - putting together grandkids toys on Xmas eve is easier that getting this kit together. (or, I was drunk an din' care at the time )

I was sittin there postulatin' how in the heck these sleeves are gonna make a good seal and can i re-egineer it some how.. Almost to the point of designing a stainless setup with kind of a Z shape, and where ya can break it down to empty and clean on occasion.. Expensive and impossible to conceal... BigGrin But, I'd bet that sucker'd work BigGrin

I read somewhere here (product review) some fellow tacked his to a plywood board or sumpin..

I found that using a surveyors tripod works great, it will even work with the stainless system. Got mine at home depot for $50.00"
Offline flht01  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 12:27:22 PM(UTC)
flht01

Originally Posted by: tikisteve Go to Quoted Post
I found that using a surveyors tripod works great, it will even work with the stainless system. Got mine at home depot for $50.00

Thanks for that info, hadn't even considered using one. Finally something I already have ....
Offline John Barleycorn  
#28 Posted : Wednesday, February 13, 2013 12:47:27 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Quote:
Mine is already bottled and corked. Will it still mellow or should it be uncorked and still in mason jars? It does taste very good right now.
I just left mine in full bottles. I have one half-full mason jar that I set aside from last week's run ... we'll see if it makes any difference ... probably not ... we'll see.
Offline Maddawgs  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:44:37 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
Md,

--JB

Hi JB,
Just wanted to say thanks. After sitting for a bit it has gotten a lot better. Once again you have given me great advice that has helped greatly. After several more blind taste tests it wins every time. I've experimented with sevaral flavorings and 2 are dangerously good. Root beer and coffee, both look, smell, and taste just like root beer and coffee with no hint of the 100 proof vodka (the dangerous part). One cup of either and you are feeling really good. Thanks again
Maddawgs
Offline John Barleycorn  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 8:30:55 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"Hi Md,

I'm glad you're getting good results. The coffee sounds really good. I'll have to give that a try ... maybe throw in some good cream to pick up that dessert vibe.

The root beer is a very cool idea ... from soft drink to hard drink. Keeping with the dessert theme, I wonder what it tastes like with a scoop of vanilla ice cream? ... a ""hard black cow?"" Wink I'll have to try that one with my better half.

--JB"