logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline muadib2001  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 2:44:34 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Groups: Registered

For the original recipe I created (10 lbs grain):
Well, I took the cover off the container and tested the liquid. I dropped the hydrometer in and it bottomed out on the solids in the bottom. So I dipped a mason jar in and poured some in a tall container, then put my hydrometer in it.

From what I can read, I think I have 11.86% ABV.

There is still some bubbling every now and then, so I'm leaving it until Friday or so.

The smell is surprising. There's a sort of spiciness to it. Almost unpleasant.

It will be interesting to run this thru the equipment.
Offline muadib2001  
#22 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2013 5:52:41 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

I pot-stilled my Gee-Dubya New Rye Whiskey this morning. I didn't get quite the amount of wash that I wanted (too much grain OhMyGod).

I came up with 2.1 liters
47% ABV. I can smell the rye in the first jar. I'm letting the jars air out for a day or so.
Offline Farmin in the woods  
#23 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:00:53 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

ok Muadib, its been 3 days...whats the final verdict???? The wait is killin me, my rye is enroute here this weekend. BTW, my output was shortened on my grain mashes, for the same reason.
Offline muadib2001  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:03:40 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Yeah, I understand about the lessened wash volume with grain mashes. That's why I modified the original recipe to cut the grain volume.

As to the taste, I can only say there is some rye flavor but not a lot. I still get the cheap tequila flavor at this point. I diluted to 45 ABV and poured it into two quart jars with some Jack Daniel's smoking chips. Now comes 3 to 6 months of swapping them in and out of the fridge (they're already taking on color!). Aging definitely makes a difference. I still have ~8 ounces of white dog left over.

Since you have a grinder, you may get more flavor in your distillate. I will grind my rye next time.

I can now say I tried the GW rye whiskey grain ratio to the best of my limited ability in a basic sugarhead. Only time will tell how it turns out.

I cannot believe that Mount Vernon is selling their stuff "in the white" and, supposedly, unaged.
#25 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 1:53:15 PM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

Muadib, I read all of the blogs on the GW shine last nite, and as I understand it the records showed that ole GW never aged any of his brew on purpose, only aged if something was left over from the previous year or wasnt rotated i guess. I couldnt find out how big their stills are, they seem like pretty big ones, over 100 gallons, and they have several. It was an interesting read from begining to end. They age a a couple barrels from each run and have sold some of the aged, but I couldnt afford it! They even had some Scotts come over and help them brew some Scotch, as well as peach and apple brandy.

I cant wait to try it for myself....
Farmin

P.S, even though they used malted barley they also added some yeast..."just to be sure" lol, I thought that was interesting.
Farmin
finger lakes highlander  
#26 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2013 11:07:43 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

"I just got a 50 lb bag of rye grain today for $20, tax included.

Muadib...where did you find the rye grain???
Highlander"
Offline muadib2001  
#27 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2013 12:03:19 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

I got it at a "Farm Store" in my town. They had all kinds of different grains (rye, wheat, oats), but no corn.

I have another farm supply place (in town again) I go to for corn chops (cracked corn).
finger lakes highlander  
#28 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2013 12:07:11 PM(UTC)

Thanks! We've got a Tractor Supply store in town - I'll check there and there's also another store that sells feed a few miles out of town. I didn't see any rye on the Tractor Supply website though.
Offline muadib2001  
#29 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2013 1:08:27 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Hey Highlander,

Make certain they do not put any chemical on the grain. I called the supplier and asked them if they coated the grain with pesticide, fungicide, etc. They said no, just pure grain. Also, I read that rye can go rancid if kept at room temperature (or in the garage during summer OhMyGod). If you have a freezer that has the room, put it there until you use it up.
finger lakes highlander  
#30 Posted : Friday, February 22, 2013 1:51:08 PM(UTC)

Thanks!
Highlander
Offline chooch  
#31 Posted : Saturday, March 02, 2013 1:49:17 PM(UTC)
chooch

Does anyone have an original recipie for GW? I'd really like to try this sans the sugar
Offline muadib2001  
#32 Posted : Saturday, March 02, 2013 3:05:57 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

The only information I have is the 60% rye, 35% corn, and 5% malted barley, with gypsum for "softening" the water a touch, or making it more "palatable". A web link earlier in the thread had something on the original recipe. I saw somewhere where they talked about the proper temperatures for cooking the grains, "corn takes a lot to cook about 1 hour at 180f (83c) rye takes quite a bit less,135-147f (63-64c) then not enough enzymes, even with modern 'distillers' malt. It takes 10% or more of grain bill, brewers malt use 20% or more. I think you will have better luck with rye, if before adding malt/enzymes you let the temps drop to about 100f (38c) for a gluten rest. Rye, wheat and raw barley, has this problem. using much of these grains will be like glue if you don't. After 20 min bring the temps back up if you want." I think this was from HomeDistiller.Org. Hope this helps.
#33 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2013 9:32:42 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

Hey Muadib, I'm back again. I am ready to run my first batch of GW rye. Im thinking about leaving one roll of copper in the tube, if I can figure out a way to keep it from fallin into my pot. I'm also think a pretty fast run, so the flavors will carry over...what do you think?

Thought, questions, concerns??

Farmin
Offline dieselduo  
#34 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2013 9:57:17 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
why not just use the whole column where it won't fall out and use just a few rolls at the bottom. That's the way I do it.
Offline muadib2001  
#35 Posted : Monday, April 08, 2013 11:39:36 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

I don't have a column like you do. Just a plain pot-still with a copper worm. So I'm not the person to ask on that part.

If you have a way to make your equipment a pot-still (and I thought some of BH's units do have that capability), then I'd do that.

If not, then yes, run fast and hope for as much flavor carryover as you can. You will be smearing the cuts if you do, so be prepared (How? I haven't the faintest idea...).

Try reverse rolling the copper mesh to see if it will stay up there. If you can run slowly, then by all means do so.

Keep us advised on what you get after the run. BigGrin
#36 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2013 2:00:37 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

Diesel, ive run in pot mode a few times, on a rum wash, and with some ujssm, but I've heard some say you need a single roll of copper to take away some of the nasty flavors, that's why im thinkin bout a single roll. When you say you run with both columns what kind of wash are you talking about? I think the manual said something about only using the one section of column for potstill, and the screen is on the bottom section, that's why I asked. I'm thinking the longer column would rob me of flavor, but im not sure. This is an all grain wash, no sugar added.

Also, some suggest to make a fast run to impart more flavor, but I know there's a happy medium there..too fast and you end up with a pretty watered down product...trust me. I'm trying to decide what route to take...tomorrow I put it to the test. Right now im leaning on a single column with one roll of copper and a slow run...but who knows.

Anyone else wanna chime in here ?

Farmin
Offline Bushy  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2013 4:10:32 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi Farmin, instead of putting a roll of copper in the tube you could just pack small copper rolls around the cooling tubes from the top, Then you have no worries of them falling into your boiler.

A slower run will give a better seperation. Then use small amounts of the back part of the heads and the front part of the tails mixed with a couple ounces of hearts to make test samples until you get the right flavor profile.
Offline flht01  
#38 Posted : Tuesday, April 09, 2013 12:31:15 PM(UTC)
flht01

Originally Posted by: Farmin in the woods Go to Quoted Post
... if I can figure out a way to keep it from fallin into ....

Farmin

i just finished taking the packing out of my top column. For the one roll I left in, I used a copper wire (like a ground out of 14/2 ) and ran it thru the roll looping it over the top tube. East to take out when I need to, easy to put the others back in if I need to. Can't fall out.
good luck with your run.
#39 Posted : Thursday, April 11, 2013 3:58:25 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

Ok, just back in from my first all grain run....either I did something wrong or damm it is a lot of work using all grains. To recap, I used the 60% Cracked rye, 35% cracked corn, and 5% malted 2row barley. I had a total of 15 lbs in my 6.5 gal fermenter, I added 2 gals of old backset, a cpl crushed B vitamins, a Tbls of Epsom salt, filled with tap water, aerated for 7 hrs and half DADY half Bakers yeast. It fermented strong for several days.

I strained the grain out of the wash and had about 3 1/2 gals wash. The first pint was 70 PROOF, the 2nd pint 60 PROOF, the 3rd pint 50 PROOF, 4th pint 30 Proof, I didn't measure the 5th pint.

The backset I used was a cpl weeks old, maybe it interfered with fermentation...IDK.

Thoughts, comments, concerns????
Farmin
#40 Posted : Friday, April 12, 2013 5:22:10 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

Well, flying by the seat of my pants I treated my used GW grains like its in a UJSSM recipe; I removed 25% and replaced with 25% new grains, then added 180F water and 7lbs sugar. I stirred it well then aerated it overnight, I'm omw to look at it right now.
Farmin