logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Farmin in the woods  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 4:59:13 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

Groups: Registered

"Ok, i fell victim to the moonshiner's episode where they talk of makin GW's rye whiskey. I looked for rye locally and omg its high as a cats back. Over $25 for a 50 lb bag. Has anyone used wheat in their grain bill? Can you use rye flour instead of rye grain? Was the original recipe for GW's 60% rye, 35% corn, and 5% malted barley? Any tried and true recipes out there w/ rye or wheat ?
Thanks

Farmin"
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 5:57:24 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"there is a recipe in the book moonshine-i was reading it last night--the burbon one looks good too

the feed store has flaked grains--usually cheap-- nif horses can eat it so can humans"
Offline boxholland  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 9:14:17 AM(UTC)
boxholland

I've been looking into gypsum.

Apparently it is NOT used here for water profiling but to add a bit of smoothness and a flavor bloom so to speak on the palette. Common with rye beers. At least that is what I am gathering from the brewer I spoke to yesterday. I bought a 2 gram packet for 1.79. Worth a shot if you are going for authentic. I used 1tsp for a 20 gal mash.
Offline muadib2001  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 12:56:43 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: Farmin in the woods Go to Quoted Post
Ok, i fell victim to the moonshiner's episode where they talk of makin GW's rye whiskey. I looked for rye locally and omg its high as a cats back. Over $25 for a 50 lb bag. Has anyone used wheat in their grain bill? Can you use rye flour instead of rye grain? Was the original recipe for GW's 60% rye, 35% corn, and 5% malted barley? Any tried and true recipes out there w/ rye or wheat ?

Me, too. I haven't priced rye in my area, but when you think about it, $3 for a batch doesn't sound too bad. I found malted barley on Amazon (don't remember the price). And I have some leftover corn chops (cracked corn). So we're close. Can we do it as a sugarhead and just have the grains flavor the mash? Would alpha amylase help with any of the starch conversion? Mix a little of the old with new technology? I'm willing to try this.
Offline boxholland  
#5 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2013 3:13:19 PM(UTC)
boxholland

I was going to do a GW batch of beer but our feed store ran out of Rye for some reason. Made me think how many other people had the same idea.RollEyes

I found some at the local food coop for about 1.00 a pound so I ended up using this recipe for my beer until I can get a big bag of Rye.

20 gallon batch
28 lbs flaked corn
03 lbs flaked rye
04 lbs flaked wheat
08 lbs malted barley
20 gal water
1tsp gypsum

Rye seems like it is the spicy ingredient. At least thats what I got when I stirred it into the mash.

Mixed up the mash and pre-mashed with a cup of malted barley and boiling water to a watery outmeal like thickness.
When temp was 155 throughout I added the malted barley. Let it convert for a few hours.
Stirred it multiple times over a few hour period. Topped off first thing in the morning and pitched 1 packet of wheat yeast just to help a little.
By afternoon there was a decent cap.

I ended up using yeast just as a precaution.

Today is day 2 and a nice big cap that seems a bit angry. So conversion seemed like it worked.
Offline Wewtster  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:42:51 PM(UTC)
Wewtster

Anyone try a finished product for this recipe? This needs just a single distill as well?
Offline boxholland  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:05:39 AM(UTC)
boxholland

THey do 2 runs for the finished product, seperating the hearts from the first run for their special "directors cut" at 102proof. This is what we would be keeping on a small scale yet you would be looking at around 150-160 proof done right.

If you do your first run slow there is no need to do 2 runs and you'd have a true GW whiskEy.

Here's a blog
http://makinggeorgewashi...onswhiskey.blogspot.com/

BTW haven't tried it. yetWink
Offline Wewtster  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:42:05 AM(UTC)
Wewtster

Thanks for the link!
Offline muadib2001  
#9 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:18:51 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: Farmin in the woods Go to Quoted Post
Over $25 for a 50 lb bag.

I just got a 50 lb bag of rye grain today for $20, tax included.
#10 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 9:11:41 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

First off, where are you guys finding flaked grains? I've tried the local feed producers and struck out. Then the rye I found is about 250 miles away; my brother found it where he lives, but it has to be ordered. Corn, cracked corn, wheat, milo is easy around here...the flaked grains and rye are tough. I see where rye flour is sold by walmart, i may try that for a small run. I checked out the blog...$95.00 for a pint of unaged rye!!!!??? OMG, who says there isnt money in this stuff!! lol
Farmin
Offline muadib2001  
#11 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 12:09:49 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

What I bought was not flaked. It was whole grain.

Since I'm going to do a sugarhead with the grain for flavor, I think I don't specifically need the malted barley. But the question is, do I still need some barley for flavor? Would I be able to use the Gerber Barley cereal in its place? I could knock out two requirements right there, barley flavor and all the nutrients needed for the yeast. And it's available at my local Wally World!

Now I need to figure out how to grind or crush my rye.
Offline scotty  
#12 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2013 11:31:46 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"are your grains crushed????

lol ooops i see your last comment-- i heard that a rolling pin and a sturdy zip lock could do it

You seem to be experimenting and not really following a recipe.:)"
Offline muadib2001  
#13 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 4:15:19 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

Yes, I'm experimenting, but trying to stay within the 60%/35%/5% ratio. I think that the guys on the "Moonshiners" show wouldn't have done an all-grain/no sugar in this day and age with "all the orders pilin' up". They would've been doing a sugarhead with flavoring like I'm trying to do.

Plus the recipe that Boxholland posted wasn't fully true to the ratio and used other grains, so I'm left to my own imagination as to what to put together.
Offline boxholland  
#14 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 4:12:16 PM(UTC)
boxholland

Mine was a bourbon recipe with Corn, Rye, Oats and BarleyI found somewhere. Didn't have enough Rye to do a GW batch.

I have to say, this batch tasted so good it is unreal.
Has a buttery touch, you just don't want to stop tasting it.

Looking at the mash there was a ton of conversion throughout the grains. It's more work initiallybut the malt does it's job nicely. I think the yeast works faster than with a sugar wash actually.
I'm going to try to stay away from the sugar washes from now on considering I got this big bag of malted barley now and you don't need a ton of it. I think the 8lbs was a bit much but the ferment was done quick.

Can't wait to do a true Rye.
Offline muadib2001  
#15 Posted : Saturday, January 26, 2013 5:44:38 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

I wasn't trying to disrespect you, but just pointing out that the recipe wasn't true to the George Washington recipe.
#16 Posted : Sunday, January 27, 2013 7:54:23 AM(UTC)
Farmin in the woods

Muadib, I bought a hand cranked grain/coffee mill on ebay...it has a hopper that holds about 1 1/2 qts, they are 24 bucks shipped. it mounts on a tabletop, like a handcrank meat grinder. I actually saw one used on the show, they used a drill to turn the shaft and it reminded me of one my dad had yrs ago. it adjusts for coarse/fine grind. The local brew shop here had malted barley, but the Gerber sounds easier, an mebbe cheaper. I'll give it a look.
Farmin
Offline muadib2001  
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:44:12 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Gee-Dubya New Rye Whiskey (flavored sugarhead)

5 Gallon Batch (but your fermenter will need to be larger than 5 gallons):

• 3 lbs Rye (cooked 135°F-147°F for 30 minutes in 2 gallons water)
  • 1.75 lbs Corn (cooked 180°F for 1 hour in 2 gallons water)
  • 1/2 of an 8oz box of Gerber barley cereal
  • 91/2 lbs of sugar
  • 2 gallons boiling water (w/ goodly squirt of lemon juice to invert sugar)
  • 3 Beanno tabs (dissolved in warm water and poured into fermenter at 100°F... roughly body temperature)
  • Yeast nutrients (or not... the Gerber cereal has some nutrients)
  • 2 tbs nutritional yeast (dead yeast that provide material for live yeast to use to multiply, plus some vitamins)
  • 1 tsp of Epsom Salt
  • 2 tbs Distillers yeast (or whatever you want to use)

Get the grains cooked and in buckets with lids.

Boil the water with lemon juice and dump it on the sugar in the fermenter. Mix to dissolve and re-incorporate oxygen.

Add the grain slurries from the buckets and the Gerber Barley cereal to the fermenter. Mix some more.

Add the yeast nutrients and the Epsom salt. Mix some more.

Check temperature and SG. Adjust SG reading for temperature. We're looking for 1.080.

If too low, add more sugar. If too high, add cool water. Re-check temperature & SG.

Put the dissolved Beanno in when the fermenter is at 100°F. Mix some more.

Get the temperature down to pitching temp (I'm thinking about 90°F for distillers yeast, check your yeast specifications).

Pitch the (room temperature) yeast on top of the mixture and leave it for 15 minutes.

Then lightly stir and aerate for 1 hour with aquarium air pump. At the end, you should have a decent cap forming.

Cap and airlock.

After fermentation ends, rack off & pot-still and see what you get.

You'll note that the liquids and solids added up to more than 5 gallons. When you separate out the grain solids from the wash, you should be left with ~5 gallons of fermented liquid.

I basically combined the Gerber babyfood recipe from Heeler with a grain wash. Uncle Jesse from HD stated there was no need to crack the rye grain since there wasn't a "real" hull on rye, but then he stated that "it wasn't a _bad_ thing to crack it". I chose not to crack it.

You don't have to use the nutritional yeast or the Beanno. I have them and think they can't do any harm to the wash, only help it along. I'm getting ready to start this and will report back on my results following.
Offline muadib2001  
#18 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 5:48:25 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

I put the Gee-Dubya New Rye Whiskey together last night. My observations:

• I soaked the grains for ~20 hours before cooking. Seemed to shorten the cooking time.
  • SG was 1.0835, so I added some cool water to bring it down a touch.
  • My distiller's yeast did NOT take off when I pitched it at 88°F. I left it for the 15 minutes and there was no foaming when I got back (it was almost 7 months old at this point, kept in a mason jar in the fridge, but owell). I then pitched some Fleischman's yeast. That started foaming almost immediately.
  • I'm highly allergic to rye grain dust. Sad

I'll report more following the ferment.
Offline muadib2001  
#19 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2013 12:58:18 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

I have edited my original recipe to cut the grain volume in half. While the grain volume I used originally made me feel good about the wash, I have since reconsidered. For a flavored sugarhead, I would bet that we only need about 5 lbs total grain for a 5 gallon wash. The rest of the recipe should stay the same, since I copied it directly from Heeler's Gerber recipe.

I hope no one has started this recipe yet.

The corn was relatively easy to cook, no problem. The rye was difficult to stir. It bent my stirring utensil all get-out.
Offline muadib2001  
#20 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2013 1:05:43 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

I'm two days into my ferment now and still hearing some activity from the yeast. First day of fermenting was LOUD! Second day was quieter. I'm hoping I still hear something tomorrow. Anything!

Question: Is the grain bed on the bottom of the fermenter "hiding" any of the sugars from the yeast? Or are they down in that mass as well and munching their little hearts out?