logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

7 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline cczero  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2012 1:26:49 PM(UTC)
cczero

Groups: Registered

To be brutally honest, I don't believe adding another gun law will solve anything with the existing 20k laws already on the books but I'm really curios as to what other on this forum feel. I'd like to know, and let's use a rating of 0-100. 0 meaning less control, 100 meaning more control. I'm at 0 meaning there isn't anything the Feds can do to restrict those that want to do us harm. It's been tried and it's failed. It was tragic that those 20 children were killed by a madman, I get that. Maybe it's me, but being born and raised in the 50's and 60's and not even thinking twice about mail-ordering a rifle or buying a pistol in a sporting goods store was anything out of the ordinary. I have an AR15 and restricting my right to purchase another would not solve anything. I have standard capacity (more that 10 rounds), restricting my purchase of additional mags won't solve anything. I believe Gun Control is NOT about GUNS, but more about CONTROL. Hopefully I'll hear from you guys. What are your opinions? You can PM me if you're not comfortable posting. More guns less crimes is my belief, yours?
Offline admin  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2012 2:11:30 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 8 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I do not believe that restricting law abiding citizens solves the problem. It may appear on the surface to be intended to stop a similar event in the future, but I think that the reality is that those who want guns will get them, regardless of how restrictive the gun laws are. In the case of the CT shooting (and my heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones), the shooter was refused when he applied for a gun. He found other means of getting one. And if the laws were even more restrictive? He still would have been refused, and he still would have found a way. I saw a great bumper sticker years back that said, "Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage."
Offline captinjack  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2012 4:18:56 PM(UTC)
captinjack

Quote:

I do not believe that restricting law abiding citizens solves the problem. It may appear on the surface to be intended to stop a similar event in the future, but I think that the reality is that those who want guns will get them, regardless of how restrictive the gun laws are. In the case of the CT shooting (and my heart goes out to those who have lost loved ones), the shooter was refused when he applied for a gun. He found other means of getting one. And if the laws were even more restrictive? He still would have been refused, and he still would have found a way. I saw a great bumper sticker years back that said, "Guns cause crime like flies cause garbage."

well said my thoughts exactly
Offline Hokey  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2012 5:34:23 PM(UTC)
Hokey

Man
United States

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
More restrictions may cure the symptoms but the disease will go merrily on. If one other person was there with a firearm to stop this guy lives would have been saved Yesterday I renewed my license to carry.
Offline curtsat15  
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 23, 2012 9:21:34 PM(UTC)
curtsat15

I agree. I live in Canada, where ALL handguns are restricted, and rifles and shotguns are less so. No private citizen can get a permit to carry. Yet our gun related crimes are on the rise. I think it is much much more about the people than the weapons. It is easier to get a gun illegally than it is to go through proper channels (and cheaper).
Offline Maddawgs  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 12:39:39 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

I think imho that the only law ever needed was a physch profile b efore you can ge a license. You can hide a lot of hings but crazy shines thru all the time. Our counry exists and the second amendment is in the constitution because when the brits wanted o exercise control it was the citizens guns that stopped them.
Maddawgs
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 12:50:06 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

I live in florida Most folks i know either own or carry pistols ((concealed and never show them off)). Permitted folks are not allowed to carry in a school. Only lawbreakers can carry wherever they want. If a few teachers were trained and carrying perhaps the tragedy would have been less.
Retired special forces as armed guards would perhaps help.

Don't try to take my guns away from me.:)

That women should have not been allowed to own firearms or have any in her home because her son had a history of mental illness.

There is no shame in being afraid of any fire arm BUT then you should just stay away from them, not try to stop others from having them.
Offline Maddawgs  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 1:06:05 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Hokey Go to Quoted Post
More restrictions may cure the symptoms but the disease will go merrily on. If one other person was there with a firearm to stop this guy lives would have been saved Yesterday I renewed my license to carry.

My early xmas gift to the wife and myself was a concealed carry class for two. We currently have no license or guns but that will now change.
Maddawgs
Offline Maddawgs  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 1:14:36 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
I live in florida Most folks i know either own or carry pistols ((concealed and never show them off)). Permitted folks are not allowed to carry in a school. Only lawbreakers can carry wherever they want. If a few teachers were trained and carrying perhaps the tragedy would have been less.
Retired special forces as armed guards would perhaps help.

Don't try to take my guns away from me.:)

That women should have not been allowed to own firearms or have any in her home because her son had a history of mental illness.

There is no shame in being afraid of any fire arm BUT then you should just stay away from them, not try to stop others from having them.

Hi Scotty,
I think she tried to do the right thing by giving him proper training in gun use. She and the other poor victems are dead because of a poor choice in hiding the key to the gun safe. If you have guns in your house everyone should be trained in their safe use. Even a 5 year old posseses the finger strength to pull a trigger. Better safe than sorry.
Maddawgs
Offline caros527486  
#10 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 1:35:16 AM(UTC)
caros527486

The Problem is not gun control, the problem is gun storage. I have three safes, one for long guns, one for handguns and one for ammo. If any one in my house gets the idea they would have to open at least two safes in order to fire any one gun. I beleive many people just forget exactly how dangerous a firearm is and I speak from experience becuase sometimes I'll go to my fathers or a buddies house and they'll have their firearm in a night stand or even in between the sheets. I am against gun control and I have a bumper sticker that says so but People have to start getting their firearms out of the reach of these killers. 9 of 10 ten times these massacres happen beucase they were able to take possesion of a firearm that was not theirs to begin with. Well that was my two cents take it with a grain salt.
Offline scotty  
#11 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 1:43:52 AM(UTC)
scotty

Originally Posted by: caros527486 Go to Quoted Post
The Problem is not gun control, the problem is gun storage. I have three safes, one for long guns, one for handguns and one for ammo. If any one in my house gets the idea they would have to open at least two safes in order to fire any one gun. I beleive many people just forget exactly how dangerous a firearm is and I speak from experience becuase sometimes I'll go to my fathers or a buddies house and they'll have their firearm in a night stand or even in between the sheets. I am against gun control and I have a bumper sticker that says so but People have to start getting their firearms out of the reach of these killers. 9 of 10 ten times these massacres happen beucase they were able to take possesion of a firearm that was not theirs to begin with. Well that was my two cents take it with a grain salt.

Its good info--thanks
Offline scotty  
#12 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 2:13:56 AM(UTC)
scotty

I was just thinking of gun storage and what happens if by some odd chance some violent weapon carrying person smashes or just burst into your home???
Offline muadib2001  
#13 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 6:27:51 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

(I found these in the newsgroup TX.GUNS, just passing it along)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"With just one single exception, the attack on congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords in Tucson in 2011, every public shooting since at least 1950 in the U.S. in which more than three people have been killed has taken place where citizens are not allowed to carry guns."
http://www.nationalrevie...ass-shootings-john-fund#
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A tiny Texas school district may be the first in the nation to pass a law specifically allowing teachers and staff to pack heat when classes begin later this month. Trustees at the Harrold Independent School District approved a district policy change last October so employees can carry concealed firearms to deter and protect against school shootings..."
http://www.foxnews.com/s...21,00.html#ixzz2FJGhEeCJ

Scotty, as to storage in the safe and some do-bad breaks into your home, personally I keep one gun where I can get at it. At the bedside table, hooked to the side of the bed, or on the headboard somewhere. The rest are in the gun safe. Of course, if you have kids in the house, this would not work. You would need a quick access safe that only you could open.

Yeah, I just renewed my CHL for the third time. Next time, I don't have to take the class! Yee haw!
Offline Bushy  
#14 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 7:33:07 AM(UTC)
Bushy

At the begining of each class I teach I lay a firearm on the table in class and tell everyone to look at it from time to time. None of my students or myself have ever seen one jump up off the table and try to kill someone.
Offline scotty  
#15 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 8:00:35 AM(UTC)
scotty

Usually i NEVER take my pistol out to show folks for any reason but the other day some of the usual stupid ban firearms conversation etc was going around. My pistol is on my leather vest pocket and wrapped in a rag. I took it out and didnt un wrap it. I explained to the folks that the rag contained a loaded 38 revolver. I left it on the table and said lets see if it moves by itself.The conversation ended there.

GEE Sad I always swore i would never take the gun out unless it was necessary. Ill be more cautious now
Offline Maddawgs  
#16 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 8:33:55 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: scotty Go to Quoted Post
I was just thinking of gun storage and what happens if by some odd chance some violent weapon carrying person smashes or just burst into your home???

Small finger print safe by your bed or end table should work--safe storage and easy access
Maddawgs
Offline caros527486  
#17 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 10:58:01 AM(UTC)
caros527486

I have three young children at home, the space i have between my headboard and my matress has a holster that is screwed into the headboard, you would never know that a gun was there, I only place my gun there right before I go to bed and I make sure that all my kids are sleeping, early morning I wake up at about 5:00 am I take my gun and place it back into it's safe or I holster it. I make sure that none of my kids know where the gun is and even if they tried to get at it you have to lift up my pillow and in which case I would know. I never use my revolver in bed becuase there no saftey so I always use my semi-pistol and I leave the clip in between the sheets at arms length . The first thing you learn in class is gun saftey wherefore I have to be absolustly sure that my firearm does not end up in the wrong hands and work against me. To each their own but I belive the key is in your storage, pleople go great lengths to protect their money why not their guns. Just a few weeks ago it was either Boston Herald or Fall River Herald a man from New Bedford had his whole safe stolen and the cops found it in the woods broken into and the guns where gone. All it takes is 20 minutes to bolt the damn thing to the ground.
Offline cczero  
#18 Posted : Monday, December 24, 2012 11:40:34 AM(UTC)
cczero

"
Originally Posted by: Maddawgs Go to Quoted Post
My early xmas gift to the wife and myself was a concealed carry class for two. We currently have no license or guns but that will now change.
Maddawgs

What a great Christmas present."
Offline old stump juicer  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 3:13:44 AM(UTC)
old stump juicer

I have a slightly different outlook on gun storage, it's called education.
I have two grand daughters ages 10 and 12, I also have a gun safe but never use it unless going on vacation. At the moment there are 4 hand guns laying on my dresser, two bolt action 223's, one tactical 308, one 30/06 one tactical 12 loaded with 00 buck and one Mac90 AK clone with loaded 30 rnd mag and 3 $100 bills laying on the dresser also,(the long guns are not on the dresser though) just in the bedroom.
The girls will not touch any of the guns or the money either, they know the guns are dangerous and they also know the money isn't their's.
When they have friends over I simply lock the bedroom, because I don't know if their friends are taught to respect firearms like my family,and curiosity is what get's kids in trouble.
A gun I can't access instantly will do me no good if someone kicks my door in.
I do agree that a home with a mentally ill person should be a gun free home.
If these little girls should start being rebellious then I would have to rethink my gun storage practices but for now this is working great.
You know that for 150 years or more there were no gun safes and there were almost no mass murders at least by young people, but that was before the government took charge of public education, violent video games, and 20 murders per night tv, and having the communist TV networks make all the young goons famous for these killing sprees.
Offline cczero  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, January 15, 2013 7:15:00 AM(UTC)
cczero

"
Originally Posted by: old stump juicer Go to Quoted Post
I have a slightly different outlook on gun storage, it's called education.
I have two grand daughters ages 10 and 12, I also have a gun safe but never use it unless going on vacation. At the moment there are 4 hand guns laying on my dresser, two bolt action 223's, one tactical 308, one 30/06 one tactical 12 loaded with 00 buck and one Mac90 AK clone with loaded 30 rnd mag and 3 $100 bills laying on the dresser also,(the long guns are not on the dresser though) just in the bedroom.
The girls will not touch any of the guns or the money either, they know the guns are dangerous and they also know the money isn't their's.
When they have friends over I simply lock the bedroom, because I don't know if their friends are taught to respect firearms like my family,and curiosity is what get's kids in trouble.
A gun I can't access instantly will do me no good if someone kicks my door in.
I do agree that a home with a mentally ill person should be a gun free home.
If these little girls should start being rebellious then I would have to rethink my gun storage practices but for now this is working great.
You know that for 150 years or more there were no gun safes and there were almost no mass murders at least by young people, but that was before the government took charge of public education, violent video games, and 20 murders per night tv, and having the communist TV networks make all the young goons famous for these killing sprees.

You're exactly RIGHT. When I was a kid I knew where my father's guns were. I knew how to shoot them. I knew what the RULES were. My kids know what the rules are. My kids knew I kept loaded pistols in the house (still do). I have yet to see a Smith & Wesson revolver jump from it's hiding spot, cock itself, aim, and shoot. When are these liberals going to realize it's NOT the gun, it's the person using it?"