logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Caveman  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 6:00:51 PM(UTC)
Caveman

Groups: Registered

"Hello BH'ers...Newcomer here...I have been reading a lot of post out here on everything. trying to get educated (ok trying) what I'm having a problem is figureing out what size element i need for the kettle on a Premimum 15 gal. with about 10 gallons in it...???
I was figureing a 4500wt but not sure. I have figured out how to control it with a ssr and I guess I'm wondering why nobody has installed a thermo dial above there heating element either to know what temp your wash is...??? is it not needed or just a luxury??? Sure would appreciate any info on these...Glad to be here and see that there is other Wild Cats..."
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 11:41:34 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

do you have both 220 and 110 readily available??? do you have 1 or 2 --1 inch npt couplings in the boiler?? do you have a router speed control???

what are you doing withe the ssr??? be specific please.:)
Offline Maddawgs  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 09, 2012 11:44:18 PM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Caveman Go to Quoted Post
Hello BH'ers...Newcomer here...I have been reading a lot of post out here on everything. trying to get educated (ok trying) what I'm having a problem is figureing out what size element i need for the kettle on a Premimum 15 gal. with about 10 gallons in it...???
I was figureing a 4500wt but not sure. I have figured out how to control it with a ssr and I guess I'm wondering why nobody has installed a thermo dial above there heating element either to know what temp your wash is...??? is it not needed or just a luxury??? Sure would appreciate any info on these...Glad to be here and see that there is other Wild Cats...

Hi Caveman,
Welcome to the forum. I'll be heating my 15 gallon kettle with two 110 volt 2000 watt elements. I'll use both to bring the 10 gallon batch up to temp quickly and then turn one off and control the other with a router speed controller to maintain proper temps thru the run. Most would suggest going the 220 route but it is currently not an option for me. There are a lot of well seasoned members here and I think soon some will chime in.
Maddawgs
Offline Crabby Krausen  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 1:56:44 AM(UTC)
Crabby Krausen

"I for one am very anxious to hear what you do with the ssr if you care to tell me. :)

What is a thermo dial???"
Offline Caveman  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 4:30:26 AM(UTC)
Caveman

Back at you Gents...thats kinda what I thought...I can use either voltages ...probably gonna use the 220v ...I'm assuming after wrapping it with insulation that single 4500wt element running will bring it up to temp. Gonna call Rick today and see what he thinks plus some custom work. And as for the SSR ...thats what I will be using instead of the router speed controller that u would have to put an bigger heatsink on...so ssr 40a a potientmeter big heatsink and a 30a dp switch and thats it to give it a more consistent ampres to the element ...this part will be easy for me foe I am a Master Electrician (now u know what i do) and thats that easy...and I can just switch it off unstead of having to unplug it. And as for the thermo dial i meant ...has anybody added a thermometer dial above the heater element to know the temp of your wash or do you just go by the one at the top of the tower...???
Offline scotty  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 5:32:34 AM(UTC)
scotty

Well please make it clear to me how you are using the ssr to (((vary))) voltage instead of the rsc..
Offline Crabby Krausen  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 5:46:40 AM(UTC)
Crabby Krausen

Do you have a special type of ssr-- if you do please teach us how to use it for something else besides a simple switch??? :)
Offline Caveman  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 6:13:40 AM(UTC)
Caveman

Ok wild cats...its pretty darn simple and around 60 bucks from start to finish depending on cord prices or less...and it isn't because im a sparky either...the ssr compared to the rsc is that it will have a direct ampres to the element without cycleing like a rsc and last without dying or burning up from heat like a rsc. I wish I knew how to post pic's (drawings) on this post but being new to these forms I'm lucky to get this far with replies....this can be used on a 120v or 220v..but if u add multipe element then you need to put in series...I could explain it in words but picture or drawing says a thousand words....its real easy and you can put all the pieces in a box of some sort ...I'm going to be building mine in a plano tackle box and old small one i had kickin around and also adding a small 3" fan to it for extra cooling...yes it is just that easy a caveman can do it....lol
Offline scotty  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 6:24:42 AM(UTC)
scotty

You are quite mistaken-- perhaps you should study more- stop talking to us as if you are a guru-- you failed the test
Offline Caveman  
#10 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 6:40:42 AM(UTC)
Caveman

Well Scotty ....I'm no guru ....and not trying to be one..and I'm just getting the materials myself for this build as for I'm going off this build from my friend who is also a sparky who has made this for his 5 gallon kettle which he does something totally different than this...and I've seen it work and thought it was a great controller (idea). So I don't know how I'm mistaken...??? maybe I am..and as failing the test...I'm the one who is asking the questions here cause i'm not a guru...sorry if I stepped on your toes wasn't meant to be..
Offline heeler  
#11 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 7:29:25 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"I'm kinda cloudy on this too. What is a ---ssr--plz. A dp switch is a good thing if you have a way to ((((adjust and vary)))) the voltage and or amps going to the elements,if not well that could creat a problem. Not sure a dp switch my itself is gonna do that but maybe I missed something.
You will need someway to control the voltage imput so you can control the cooking temp. I'm not saying your wrong - I just dont understand the theory yet.

RSC'ers dont cycle thats why we use them to control the heating elements."
Offline scotty  
#12 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 8:14:43 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
I'm kinda cloudy on this too. What is a ---ssr--plz. A dp switch is a good thing if you have a way to ((((adjust and vary)))) the voltage and or amps going to the elements,if not well that could creat a problem. Not sure a dp switch my itself is gonna do that but maybe I missed something.
You will need someway to control the voltage imput so you can control the cooking temp. I'm not saying your wrong - I just dont understand the theory yet.

RSC'ers dont cycle thats why we use them to control the heating elements.

\
Heeler a SSR is a solid state relay-- Nothing more tha an on off switch-- tHE WAY THIS GUY IS SPOUTIHN OFF INFO shows me he knows very little-- he never answered the questions put to him which are designed to show what he really knows. that businusess abour series and paralell is an insult to any one with even basic understanding- i am tired of folks claiming to be something and not really knowing the basics

To clarify a bit i will say that there is more than one person that understands thermostats-- pid controlls and sensors--the diference between delta and why configuration-- how to wire 3 phase with both two and 3 transformers and what the yellow wire in a 3 phase setup means.

those folks never do more than just assist. :)"
Offline Caveman  
#13 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 10:03:40 AM(UTC)
Caveman

Hey Heeler and Scotty...as to ssr yes Scotty is correct as to what it is...and for the switch would be first in line just for so i don't have to unplug the whole setup...but the ssr does control the ampres going to the element with a pot switch which you can turn up or down to get the temp that you want...not that I know a whole lot about the rsc and may work well for all I know...not claiming anything other than I have seen this system to be tried and working...alls this does is regulate it so you can have a stable temp...I can let you know better when I get it done and working...and Scotty all I was doing was letting out something different to try...I thought that this is what these forms are for and to learn by...Remember again I'm new to this and have never been on forms before and I'm the asking for the questions and knowledge from you cause I don't know...I was spouting off Scotty I was asked the question and thought I could help (I thought)...so guess to answer your question Scotty ...i could draw it out and take a pic with my phone and do all the other stuff it takes to put it on here ...but it seems to me you know enough about ac therory.
Offline scotty  
#14 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 10:32:04 AM(UTC)
scotty

"a ssr is a simple switch-- the gizmo you may be referring to that looks like a ssr is a kyoto KR2040AX-THAT HAS A VARIABLE RESISTOR THAT CONTROLS IT oops caps

It s a ssvr OR A SOLID STATE VARIABLE RELAY."
Offline Caveman  
#15 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 11:28:59 AM(UTC)
Caveman

Yes it is a switch...but it can be variable for the amps and voltage going through it using a potentiometer and putting a volt meter also inline....I haven't checked the one out that you listed but I can...the one i have ordered is the ...Sumgle 40a ac-ac 90v-250vac input and 24v-480vac output...unless you can come up with something different...what is everybody using on there system for a controller...?? I'm always open for Idea's
Offline Crabby Krausen  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:09:17 AM(UTC)
Crabby Krausen

"
Originally Posted by: Crabby Krausen Go to Quoted Post
please post a link so we can view the spec sheet for this relay that you ordered.:)

i dont see how an thing like that in line device you are talking about could possibly vary voltage without being in series with both the black and white((in 120 volts)) or both lines in the 220 volt circuit.

. so far you have made lots of claims but have given no explanations

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
Offline heeler  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 1:23:21 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Yes it is a switch...but it can be variable for the amps and voltage going through it using a potentiometer and putting a volt meter also inline....I haven't checked the one out that you listed but I can...the one i have ordered is the ...Sumgle 40a ac-ac 90v-250vac input and 24v-480vac output...unless you can come up with something different...what is everybody using on there system for a controller...?? I'm always open for Idea's

ok so a double pole switch is the on/off and the potentiometer switch is the way you ---vary---the voltage???? If thats the case well that should work especially if you have seen this type thing in the working phase. You mentioned a buddy using something like this and did'nt say what for but for our applications the juice you apply must be variable to a certain degree. There are distillation units that can cool the condensation with cooling lines in the tower such as the PS units and the --constant-- heat in that type of still may be fine. Good luck and hope it works the way you think it should."
Offline Caveman  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, December 11, 2012 11:15:59 AM(UTC)
Caveman

Hey Heeler....yes that pretty much sums it up...my friend uses his for his oils and some wierd ones too...but thats why I was asking about the thermometer for thats what he has on his 20L kettle.abouve his element...but I'm assuming in our applications you don't need one other than in the tower...I will try to get pic's of what I'm doing (drawings) and get them on here...Mine will have the dp switch, V meter, indicator lite, small T block, SSR, heatsink, potentiometer, and also a fan for extra cooling...don't know if I really need the fan but why not...working 10hr days 6 days a wk hopefully I can get it out here for you...Maybe if someone can tell me how to put it on the forms that would be highly appreciated after i get the pic on the pc...or maybe when my daughter comes over maybe she can show me...
Offline Maddawgs  
#19 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 1:14:03 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Hey Heeler....yes that pretty much sums it up...my friend uses his for his oils and some wierd ones too...but thats why I was asking about the thermometer for thats what he has on his 20L kettle.abouve his element...but I'm assuming in our applications you don't need one other than in the tower...I will try to get pic's of what I'm doing (drawings) and get them on here...Mine will have the dp switch, V meter, indicator lite, small T block, SSR, heatsink, potentiometer, and also a fan for extra cooling...don't know if I really need the fan but why not...working 10hr days 6 days a wk hopefully I can get it out here for you...Maybe if someone can tell me how to put it on the forms that would be highly appreciated after i get the pic on the pc...or maybe when my daughter comes over maybe she can show me...

Hi Caveman,
To add images just click on the little icon 3rd from the right at the top of the reply window. Hope this helps you out.
Maddawgs
Offline Caveman  
#20 Posted : Thursday, December 13, 2012 12:40:04 PM(UTC)
Caveman

Thank You maddawgs...appreciate it...got the drawing done ..gonna try to do what scotty has done with taking a pic of it with the camera...not my phone and download it to the p/c...and try that...after reading the new post today i notice that someone else is now trying this (idea) and hope it works great.