logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Bushy  
#21 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 5:27:06 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Groups: Registered

Hey ohyeahyeah why would you prefer the 6 row over the 2 row? Seems to me that 6 rows on a stalk would have less convertable starches available than the 2 rows on a stalk.
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#22 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 5:39:20 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

From my research the enzyme level used to be higher in 2 row but through years of selective breeding there is really not much difference in enzyme level between 2 and 6 row now. Its also(unless i am remember incorrectly and getting this bassackwards) my understanding that 2 row is commonly used throughout the world outside of North America, but 6 row is more commonly used in North America. Since my main interest is bourbon and my understanding is bourbon makers use 6 row, i use 6 row. I guess if i was trying to make an irish i would use 2 row.

In all honesty i have used 2 row instead of 6 when 6 row wasn't available, and really didn't notice any difference in mashing or flavour. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I've also added small amounts of the specialty malts and found they can add interesting flavours as well.
Offline Bushy  
#23 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 5:57:23 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Thanks for the update, I've always used 2 row and like you some of the special malts for flavor and color.