logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Mkjt88  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 05, 2012 2:19:06 PM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Groups: Registered

"Hey guys been reading on brewhaus' turbo pure 48 hr yeast. It sounds like a dream if I'm not mistaken. I currently use bread yeast and my mash will ferment for a few weeks. Will this ""2"" day yeast really shave off 2 weeks while also help preventing esters and all the bad stuff?

Another question is this yeast yields I think 18 percent it said?? How high will a bread yeast usually yield before dying?

And last off will one 5gal mash take the whole pack? Or can I get 2 out of it for the $5 a pack + shipping it costs?"
Offline hawkeyewanabe  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 05, 2012 2:36:35 PM(UTC)
hawkeyewanabe

A lot of the guys on this site poo-poo using turbo yeast, claiming it gives an off-taste. I don't notice the difference, and it IS a lot faster.
I use one pack for 6-7 gallons. I'm not really sure how far you can push it.
I suggest getting some and trying a batch or two. Experiment, and decide what you think.
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 05, 2012 8:50:57 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: Mkjt88 Go to Quoted Post
Hey guys been reading on brewhaus' turbo pure 48 hr yeast. It sounds like a dream if I'm not mistaken. I currently use bread yeast and my mash will ferment for a few weeks. Will this ""2"" day yeast really shave off 2 weeks while also help preventing esters and all the bad stuff?

Another question is this yeast yields I think 18 percent it said?? How high will a bread yeast usually yield before dying?

And last off will one 5gal mash take the whole pack? Or can I get 2 out of it for the $5 a pack + shipping it costs?

It will indeed be finished in approximatley 48 hours + or - some hours. (but HELP IN PREVENTING bad stuff ---- I dont see how) remember heat causes bad things and a turbo is gonna be hot just by the nature of the action. (you know super fast ferment) Ya know what, get one and ferment it on the cooler side and let us all learn something - we may all shift to turbos after that.

the bread yeast will push to about 8-12% percent in my expirience but its the amount of sugar thats applied that will push it to its death.

the instructions will say 1 pack to five gallons, but I have in the past (just cause I'm cheap-like squeeky cheap) just dipped out a spoonfull into my bucket which is a 5 gallon bucket and that worked for me. Dont remember if it was a 48 turbo but you get the point. I think I got 4 washes out of one turbo package."
Offline heeler  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 05, 2012 9:00:57 PM(UTC)
heeler

oh something else..if your gonna make a neutral and then reflux it or strip and then reflux it, well the turbo prolly wont matter much. Its the folks that want a flavor carryover or who use a pot still that dont like turbos..in my opinion. They do of course work -- aslo the $$$$ side of the issue.
Offline Mkjt88  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 06, 2012 5:30:54 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

I was just drawn in by the fast ferment and higher alcohol production.. but no BW.. I'm not paying $5 for it either unless I got 5 washes out of it.
Offline heeler  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 06, 2012 5:32:57 AM(UTC)
heeler

ya know..a turbo yeast can be one hellofa ego booster if ya think about it. It will definatley ferment and it'll raise hell in the jug. So as a training tool it might be worthy of your time. You will find that most seasoned stillers use other yeasts, maybe they just got cheap over time or maybe they got smarter so as you get seasoned and smarter let us know what works best for you.
Offline hawkeyewanabe  
#7 Posted : Thursday, September 06, 2012 4:22:41 PM(UTC)
hawkeyewanabe

Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Well the Lord took my ego plumb away here while back. Tell me the truth with love. Thanks.

Lemme guess, that happened about the time you got married Wink
Offline lacke  
#8 Posted : Thursday, September 06, 2012 7:26:13 PM(UTC)
lacke

Originally Posted by: Mkjt88 Go to Quoted Post
Hey guys been reading on brewhaus' turbo pure 48 hr yeast. It sounds like a dream if I'm not mistaken. I currently use bread yeast and my mash will ferment for a few weeks. Will this "2" day yeast really shave off 2 weeks while also help preventing esters and all the bad stuff?

And last off will one 5gal mash take the whole pack? Or can I get 2 out of it for the $5 a pack + shipping it costs?

Turbo is comprised of a mix of very alcohol tolerant yeast and complex nutrients that quickly ferment a pure sugar solution into alcohol. There are two types of Turbos: one making 14% alcohol in two/three days and one making 18% alcohol in seven days. With the 18% yeast one will get 50 - 100% more alcohol from the same distillation compared to bakers yeast. With the 14% type you get a fast distillation and 2-3% more alcohol than with bakers yeast.

Bread yeast is for making carbon dioxide to let the bread "rise" good. It is not an alcohol resistant strain and will kill itself at about 8-10%. You can add some nutrients and get it up to around 12%. But at that level you will get a "dirty" mash with a lot of impurities.

I would strongly recommend to use the whole pack of turbo yest since it is designed with all nutrients to be able to bring the alcohol up to the 14-18% level with as little "impurities" as possible.

Here is a little more information about yeast and uses.
http://www.partyman.se/turbo-yeast-info/
Offline Mkjt88  
#9 Posted : Friday, September 07, 2012 5:32:58 AM(UTC)
Mkjt88

Thanks.. I will give it a try sometime gonna stick out a few more washes with bread yeast till I get good at it
Offline Tea Totaler  
#10 Posted : Saturday, September 08, 2012 2:22:50 PM(UTC)
Tea Totaler

I am still learning and experimenting, but my cleanest distillation thus far was on a second generation Turbo 48. Took 3 weeks to finish/clear, but yielded over 20%.
Trashed that cake before tasting the product...mistake.

Already have plans to start a new cake with Turbo 48 and see how it does 3rd or 4th generation. Looks to me like it is already a high alcohol tolerant so the mutations in subsequent generations may be even more productive...providing you replace consumed nutrients.

First generation on the Turbo was bad, but I did not let it settle and actually put it in the pot as an active fermentation. Yield was good but it smelled and tasted yeasty. But hey, I made near a gallon of 180+ on my very first run.

To maximize the ABV, bump it with more sugar when it starts to slow down. I started at a 1.09 which was around 12 pounds/5 gallons and fed it 4 more pounds in 2 bumps of maybe 1/2 gallon each.
Offline popapina  
#11 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 6:52:09 AM(UTC)
popapina

"I use Tubro 48 in a 6gal wash, with cracked corn and sugar, after one week drain the mash for processing. After that I add hot water aprox 100 and suger and let it set. Do not add yeast it will start on it`s own with the unused yeast left over. Works great !
popapina"
Offline popapina  
#12 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2012 8:07:46 AM(UTC)
popapina

"I stop when it gets mucky, and reuse all in the bucket. I use for the 6gal. 12lbs. of sugar. So far works well.
popapina"
Offline Tea Totaler  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 11:46:09 AM(UTC)
Tea Totaler

Well, I've started the turbo cake again, used a couple inches of cooked/converted corn in the bottom of the bucket just to give the cake some structure. I have it in a small bucket so can only pull off 5 gallons of beer for the kettle. Maybe leave another half gallon in the secondary.

Ran the first generation yesterday and collected just about a gallon of 91%. That was after a 3 week total ferment...and waiting forever for it to clarify. It was nasty. Strong burnt wine taste. Had maybe a vitamin pill aftertaste and a nasty bite. Turbo sucks for making something to drink, at least first generation.

But wait! I had this gallon...and a couple of quarts from my first turbo run(first run ever). I washed out the kettle, dumped in 6 quarts of 91% and a couple gallons of hose water and ran it again. Ran fast, used much less heat, and gave me a gallon of 93%. Very clean vodka. Clean but with a character that makes the store-bought stuff seem kind of clinical.

The slop in the tank afterward smelled like the nastiness in the stuff I put in the kettle. Water is a good filter for the phenols.
Offline Tea Totaler  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 09, 2012 2:59:38 PM(UTC)
Tea Totaler

I don't know what all is in the turbo, but I suspect it is an overdose of yeast, nutrient, and energizer. Half of a dose might work fine, but why? What are you saving the other half for?

The second and third generation yeast cakes have worked best for me. I also believe you could start with most any yeast and build a cake that is fond of your favorite mash. With a little effort, you could keep a yeast cake going for a real long time, so the price of the first inoculation is insignificant on a "per batch" basis.

The advantage I see in the turbo is that you are starting with a high alcohol tolerance yeast. Some of the legwork for a good yeast cake has already been done.
Offline Tea Totaler  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 6:18:12 AM(UTC)
Tea Totaler

For this discussion, the yeast cake is the layer of sediment left in the bottom of the fermenter. I haven't yet played with harvesting, washing, and storing yeast.

I only clean my fermenters when I want to experiment with a new yeast. The yeast leftover represents a nearly full colony and remains viable for several hours.

My last wash used about a gallon of hot slop from the kettle to dissolve 12 pounds of sugar. I let it set for about an hour to convert the sugar with the acidic slop, then diluted/cooled it with hose water. Brought the PH up with baking soda and dumped it on the corn/turbo yeast solids left in the bottom of my primary. It is very happy.

I recycled the yeast, corn, and a bunch of BTUs.
Offline Tea Totaler  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:22:01 PM(UTC)
Tea Totaler

I've thought and heard about several things to raise PH but haven't tried them. I had baking soda handy one time when adjusting PH for enzyme dosing and it worked well. I did try gypsum and it was not as effective.

I know the beer guys don't like baking soda, but the yeast don't mind it and I leave it in the kettle when I'm done.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#17 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 3:49:20 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hi Tea,

Originally Posted by: Tea Totaler Go to Quoted Post
I know the beer guys don't like baking soda
This is something that's been confusing me for some time ... mostly due to the mixed opinions.

I used baking soda a few times in my low wines, but never in a wash. It did help to clean up the finished product. So it wasn't a pH management application, it was just an attempt to hydrolyze esters in a wash that was fermented at too warm a temperature.

For pH management of the wash, some folks have claimed good results (no problems). But I've read plenty of warnings about how baking soda, when added to the wash (vs. low wines), can free up ammonia.

So when you used the baking soda, were you fermenting a sugar wash or did you conduct a mash?

The reason I ask is, at least as far as I understand it, the presence of proteins is the lynch pin WRT the ammonia production (i.e. -- a wash may contain proteins, low wines do not) ... and an AG wort is likely to have an abundance of those proteins, whereas the sugar head probably little or none at all. Which perhaps is why some have no issues with baking soda and others warn against it.

Anyway, I've been very wary of using baking soda in my washes to adjust pH ... but only because I don't have my arms around the ammonia thing yet. Any chemistry folks out there who can explain this?

Regards,
--JB"
Offline Tea Totaler  
#18 Posted : Thursday, October 11, 2012 9:08:02 AM(UTC)
Tea Totaler

Ammonia? Proteins? Maybe I wasn't supposed to use the baking soda...

I used the baking soda on a straight corn (no sugar) to adjust the PH for dosing amalayse. I also used it to bring up the PH of slop that I used as described above.

The corn turned out excellant and I have some aging with pieces of barrel stave. The batch with the slop is happily fermenting. I haven't noticed any ammonia.

I really haven't studied enough to consider myself an expert, but I run my rig every week, doing something different each time. If I don't change the ferment, I change the distillation somehow.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#19 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2012 12:43:20 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hi Tea,

Originally Posted by: Tea Totaler Go to Quoted Post
Ammonia? Proteins? Maybe I wasn't supposed to use the baking soda...
If it works without ill effects, then use it.

Please don't think I'm being contrary ... far from it. I've been spending a LOT of time working with powdered enzymes and have a similar need to adjust my pH. I've tried calcium carbonate (which seems to work fine) and also simple dilution with water (which works fine if you can live with the extra volume). I would love to just dump in some baking soda. But to be honest, I'm don't want to ruin washes that require the extra effort to produce. So I'm just looking for a credible explanation of where, why, and how WRT ammonia ... but I have yet to find one.

If I can use baking soda, I won't have to nick those calcium tablets from my wife's medicine cabinet. Wink

Regards,
--JB"
Offline Tea Totaler  
#20 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2012 1:56:21 AM(UTC)
Tea Totaler

I was able to talk to my cold side mentor last night. He's a beer guy that is in the process of going commercial.

He had said that he doesn't use baking soda. I cornered him on why and his response was that it was because he uses gypsum. He says the gypsum does not add flavor to the beer...which is not a concern for me as the majority of my beer flavors are water soluble and left in the kettle when I'm done. He had not heard of ammonia problems.

Where would NH3 come from if you are adding NaHCO3? I have smelled ammonia when trying out a "yeast energizer" but did not sense it in the finished product. Seems like nitrogen is used as a yeast nutrient. I don't rehydrate turbo...somebody do that and sniff it...it may have ammonia.

Even if you managed to produce ammonia in your mash, would it be a bad thing? Surely it is not soluble in ETOH?

So, I have my next experiment. Add some ammonia to my wash and determine 2 things; does it help ferment and does it come through to the finished product? I just might find out that ammonia is a good thing.

Love this hobby. If I totally trash a mash I am experimenting with, I am out maybe $7 in material and the time expended has value greater value than if I had not learned anything new.