logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Tea Totaler  
#21 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2012 2:16:06 AM(UTC)
Tea Totaler

Groups: Registered

Maybe calcium is better, especially when using amalayse, and having nothing to do with ammonia; http://www.rpi.edu/dept/...-Environ/beer/water2.htm
Offline Outland  
#22 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 4:35:59 AM(UTC)
Outland

Tea...
Basic conditions (high pH) frees up ammonia, which is in the turbo mixes and the various energizers usually as DAP (di-ammonium phosphate). Yeast needs the NH3 to make protein and more yeast. My readings have also indicated that yeast like a slightly acidic medium when growing. If your wort/mash/etc is higher pH when distilling you'll free up the ammonia and will react with the copper in the still....the dreaded blue spirits. Apologies if you already knew this
Offline Tea Totaler  
#23 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 7:43:47 AM(UTC)
Tea Totaler

I could see that happening. A high PH is not something I have had to deal with since I discovered how much a small amount of baking soda will raise the PH.

Where I used it first was in an AG mash where I was trying to raise PH from 4.8 to 5.6. I have subsequently discovered that almost is close enough for amalayse PH.

The other use was/is raising the yeast-lethal PH of used up dunder from my boiler.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#24 Posted : Thursday, October 18, 2012 3:43:34 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Outland,

If you have more details about freeing up ammonia, please post them -- especially WRT baking soda.

I've read lots of conflicting information on various forums and my head is spinning. Is it basically just due to high pH? That is, if I raise the pH too high (assuming there's nitrogen and ammonium present) will I have the same issues regardless of whether I use baking soda or calcium carbonate? Or is there more to the story?"
Offline Outland  
#25 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 12:40:12 AM(UTC)
Outland

JB.. We are kinda talking about 2 different things: 1) Fermentation and yeast preferred optimal pH 2) Distillation and "desired" pH in regards to free ammonia.

sodium bicarbonate is a better pH adjuster than calcium carbonate because it is a buffer and is more soluble in water. Beer guys don't like it because it gives a salty taste to the beer, but they don't distill. Calcium carbonate can also bind up phosphorus/phosphate which the yeast need.

My concerns are with #2, which is why I interjected; as it happened to me once...i.e. pH was too high when I was distilling the mash/wash and I ended up with blue product. check this: http://homedistiller.org/distill/dtw/blue

Now I always acidify my wash with ascorbic acid when I distill the first time and haven't had a problem since. This is only important for the first distillation (stripping from a wash) as subsequent distillations of the same stuff doesn't have the nitrogen compounds any longer.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#26 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 12:50:50 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"
Originally Posted by: Outland Go to Quoted Post
This is only important for the first distillation (stripping from a wash) as subsequent distillations of the same stuff doesn't have the nitrogen compounds any longer.
Ok. Then this is where the ""only use baking soda in low wines"" must have come from. Without the nitrogen, you don't have worry?

The presence of nitrogen makes perfect sense to me given we're talking NH3. I found several references that mentioned ""proteins"" and that was confusing the hell out of me.

I'm guessing that overdoing things with the DAP/urea can, among other issues, potentially set you up for some unintended ammonia production.

Thanks for the great info.
--JB"
Offline Outland  
#27 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 1:13:13 AM(UTC)
Outland

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post

I'm guessing that overdoing things with the DAP/urea can, among other issues, potentially set you up for some unintended ammonia production.

Oh yes....that's how I got into the mess. I got all my distillation and fermentation stuff from Brewhaus. They included 2 packs of Turbo 48 in the kit. I had info overload and added DAP along with the turbo; so I had excess ammonia from the get go. Hence I ended up with the blue spirits. In trying to find out what happened, I learned this. Want me to add another twist? LOL It involves sodium bicarb
Offline Tea Totaler  
#28 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 7:44:25 AM(UTC)
Tea Totaler

Lower the PH of the wash prior to distilling? Mine has always been below 3 (that's as low as my test strips go) by the time it is done fermenting. Carbolic acid I think.

My wife is a serious fish keeper and uses CO2 injectors to lower PH in her tanks through the formation of carbolic acid.

Do tell of the bicarb twist?
Offline Outland  
#29 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 9:11:51 AM(UTC)
Outland

So, during fermentation and distillation esters are formed, moreso under acidic conditions. One of these is ethyl acetate formed from ethanol. After the stripping distillation, the distillate can be stored with sodium bicarbonate for a period of time (longer the better) prior to next distillation. This 1) prevents oxidation of EtOH to EtOAc (loss of ethanol) and 2) drives the reaction in reverse to form EtOH from EtOAc
Offline heeler  
#30 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 10:03:23 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"That first sentence is a little skewed....esters are formed during fermentation not distillation
ethyl acetate is also formed during ferementation not distillation

Now those things can be captured and discarded during distillation but not during fermentation. Whew weeee hope that got the idea across."
Offline Outland  
#31 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 11:08:02 AM(UTC)
Outland

Actually esters are formed under both conditions; fermentation biologically; and under heat and lower pH, particularly in presence of carboxylic acids {acetic, citric, ascorbic, tartaric,etc} alcohols are oxidized to esters chemically. Fischer reaction

http://www.youtube.com/w...119o&feature=related ; http://www.youtube.com/w...l0k&feature=related; http://www.organic-chemi...cher-esterification.shtm

There is serious chemistry occurring in every step of what we do. Heeler, email me if you want more references
Offline heeler  
#32 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 11:17:53 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I'll sure take your word for it.... never ever heard that distillation does anything except seperate compounds that are ALREADY in the wash or mash. I'm no scientist so thanks for passing on the info. I'm glad to learn something new. Ha.... ya can teach an old dawg new tricks. Thanks Outland.
Offline Tea Totaler  
#33 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:54:00 AM(UTC)
Tea Totaler

Looks like I'm doomed.
If I raise the PH of my wash, I make ammonia. If I distill the wash in it's natural low PH, I oxidize my ETOH.

But then again, all was well in my world when I was flying by the seat of my pants. Maybe I read too much...

Does Ethyl acetate burn? Shouldn't affect my fuel? My last run was from a first gen turbo and I pulled 3 quarts of 94% and another quart of 91%. Tastes nasty but is a personal best on purity.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#34 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 12:50:38 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"
Quote:
all was well in my world when I was flying by the seat of my pants. Maybe I read too much...
LOL

I get that feeling a lot with this stuff! The good news is that it usually means I'm close to learning something important ... or convinces me that I still have my head up my
$$. Either way it means I have more reading to do! A sort-of hooch paradox, no? BigGrin"
Offline Outland  
#35 Posted : Sunday, October 21, 2012 1:40:32 PM(UTC)
Outland

Tea, it isn't really that bad lol. Its only a problem prior to 2nd distillation....after stripping I put it on bicarb which drives the reaction in reverse EtoAc----->EtOH. Ethyl acetate does burn and not really good for you but unless you are doing something really wrong you don't get that much maybe around 100-200 ml.

Edit: just dawned on me, I only do the bicarb treatment when making neutrals. Reason is that it will also destroy other esters that contribute flavors. I do not use bicarb on my single barley malt product
Offline Tea Totaler  
#36 Posted : Monday, October 22, 2012 12:57:32 AM(UTC)
Tea Totaler

I don't strip (not since I quit my night job).

I did have a batch of nasty first gen turbo that I ran again and cleaned it up.

In reflux I get high purity and good output and I can run 6-7 batches on one 20# tank of propane. Never saw a reason to strip. I assume that the acetate comes off first and accounts for varying quality of foreshots.

So maybe I am doing it right and all I really need to do is add bicarb to anything I am going to run again. That creates another question, would it be better if I dilute prior to running and let it sit a while in clean water with bicarb? My "low wines" are always over 90%. I figure solubility of the bicarb would be improved with addition of water.
Offline Tea Totaler  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2012 1:02:45 AM(UTC)
Tea Totaler

Well, I tried the bicarb in a second run from a first generation Turbo. The starting "low wine" was a gallon of 93% with that nasty turbo taste and about a quart of 80% tails from a failed run of rice. I heated up couple gallons of water and disolved 8 heaping teaspoons of bicarb, added my low wines, and let it sit for 3-4 hours.

When I ran it, I noticed a lot more rumbling from my boiler than I am accustomed to.

Seeing as the heads had already been pulled, I was very loose with my cuts. Went entirely by nose and reflux balance and collected less than 1/2 cup of heads. (I normally make the nose cut and double it)

After the heads, the foreshots were at 90% and rather stinky...and longer than I usually get on first run. The first quart was worse than the feed stock.

I collected 2 quarts of hearts that were cleaner...but not as clean as expected...at 92%.

The 4th quart started stinking again. I had to play with the reflux balance to maintain purity, head temp, and output. When I could no longer maintain 90% and the head temp got to 178, I ran the last cup of distillate into the tails jar.

The whole thing was less succesful than making the second run with plain clean water. Both the cleaning action and the purity seemed to be diminished by the bicarb.
Offline Crabby Krausen  
#38 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2012 2:35:55 AM(UTC)
Crabby Krausen

:) fores come before heads. ???
Offline Tea Totaler  
#39 Posted : Tuesday, November 06, 2012 3:45:49 PM(UTC)
Tea Totaler

Maybe I don't have the terminology right. I am calling the nail polish remover toxic stuff that I use for degreaser heads. That stuff that makes up the first 1/5 or so of my collection, that is high purity but not real good tasting I am calling the fores. The middle half of my collection that I might offer to friends to drink I am calling hearts. I get another quarter that is of moderate quality but high purity that I don't have a special name for. Then the last bit that is of very poor quality, stinky, and of diminishing purity that I throw back in the pot to run again next time I call tails.

Does everybody else call it something else?
Offline Maddawgs  
#40 Posted : Sunday, November 11, 2012 12:07:28 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Tea Totaler Go to Quoted Post
Maybe I don't have the terminology right. I am calling the nail polish remover toxic stuff that I use for degreaser heads. That stuff that makes up the first 1/5 or so of my collection, that is high purity but not real good tasting I am calling the fores. The middle half of my collection that I might offer to friends to drink I am calling hearts. I get another quarter that is of moderate quality but high purity that I don't have a special name for. Then the last bit that is of very poor quality, stinky, and of diminishing purity that I throw back in the pot to run again next time I call tails.

Does everybody else call it something else?

Hi TT,
I'm new at this so I may have some of this wrong. It is my understanding that on a reflux run the first 50ml (150ml to 250ml for a pot still run) or so is the "foreshots". This would be the nasties like acetone that you do not want to drink (it will cause you serious problems) and most either toss out or use for a cleaner. The next 250ml or so is the "heads". This is where the hangovers come from and includes various congeners. Some mix these in with the hearts to impart a bit of flavor into the hearts or just save them up for redistillation. Then you get the "hearts" which is what your after. And finnally you get the "tails" which are the fusel oils and are generally treated the same as the heads. So it is foreshots, heads, hearts, tails. Hope this helps you out.
Maddawgs