logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline captinjack  
#41 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 7:07:54 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Groups: Registered

"No, I didn't re-hydrate I just sprinkled it on top and gave it a little stirring. I'll re-hydrate next time...

I'm licken my lips waiting to run it..."
Offline dieselduo  
#42 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 7:13:47 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Does re-hydrating really make that much difference? If so,what is it ?
Offline John Barleycorn  
#43 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 7:57:29 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Jack,

I never rehydrate baker's yeast (I use Fleischman's) ... I just toss it in dry and never had a problem. I do however, rehydrate wine yeast per the instructions on the package. I assume that the manufacturer knows what they're talking about ... and that they want their product to work as well as possible.

--JB"
Offline dieselduo  
#44 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 8:12:18 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

i use DADY and bakers yeast and never had a problem. Was just wondering what the benefits might be. Faster ?
Offline John Barleycorn  
#45 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 8:56:33 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

"Rehydration isn't recommended for all products -- so there's no generic benefit per se.

I always assumed that the rehydration was to prevent osmotic stress since a dry yeast needs an influx of water (and glycerol production) to restore the cell size. So rehydration lets the cell increase size before being exposured to a high gravity wort."
Offline heeler  
#46 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 9:56:18 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Ya know, I cant say that re-hydration is the cure all either. When I started making beer years ago and using liquid yeast the norm is making a starter with whichever vial of yeast you choose (if you choose liquid yeast) because it multiplies the yeast. They say a vial of liquid yeast is approx. 150 million cells and the standard beer wash (5 gallons) requires 300 million for a good start to fermentation. That whole re-hydration thing is something I like but I dont think its an absolute nessecity for alcohol production in a wash either. Now if you do it and it works, well, great and if you dont do it and it works thats great too. I hope everybody makes great likker with whichever method they choose.
Offline heeler  
#47 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 10:11:56 AM(UTC)
heeler

"I want to add one more little tidbit of thinking, with the dry yeast deal, if you do re-hydrate and you know your yeast is viable after its re-hydrated....then you add it to your wash and in the morning nothing is happening, you can rule out bad yeast. You might ask yourself --was my wash too hot when I added it?? and did I kill my yeast by adding it too soon?? (I know it was good yesterday)
I'm pretty sure as a newbie I did that very thing and I'm sure there will be someone along in the future that will do that very thing -----hopefully they will read this post and NOT do what I did."
Offline John Barleycorn  
#48 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 10:50:01 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

FWIW, I consider rehydration and "making a starter" two separate things. I know we tend to lump them together since most folks probably do both anyway. When I say rehydrate, I mean just that ... letting cells suck in some water. But I don't always make a starter as heeler mentions to "multiply the yeast." When I do make a starter, I rehydrate first, then add some of the wort/wash to the jar. This gives the yeast a chance to multiply at a lower gravity. Not trying to pick hairs ... just mentioning how I do things.
Offline heeler  
#49 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 11:01:06 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Yeah I agree JB, re-hydrateing and making a starter are different things. They say ( the really smart people I mean ) that you dont make a starter with dry yeast you only re-hydrate it, but if its in a sugar solution for an hour has it multiplied?? I bet it has to some degree.

A starter with liquid yeast takes about 12 hours to finish and re-hydrateing with dry yeast only takes about 30 mins. Now I like to re-hydrate on my stir plate and even that only takes about 30-60 mins. Again I'm not disputing what you say just adding some of my thinking."
Offline Algiz  
#50 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2014 8:18:22 AM(UTC)
Algiz

If a nuetral is what you are after, what is the advantage of adding the cereal?
Offline John Barleycorn  
#51 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2014 12:12:55 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

If you're making a sugar wash you're going to need more than just sugar and water -- you'll need some nutrients for your yeast. Certain cereals (gerber baby cereals, some brands of "All Bran" flakes, etc.) have a lot of vitamins and minerals that will support a healthy fermentation. Tomato paste is another handy "off-the-shelf" nutritional supplement for yeast (lots of B vitamins, etc).
Offline Algiz  
#52 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2014 12:29:30 PM(UTC)
Algiz

Thanks for clearing that up. I have been using fermax yeast nutrients in my sugar wash. I thought maybe the cereal added something I was missing
Offline heeler  
#53 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 2:46:41 AM(UTC)
heeler

Thanks JB very well explained, Algiz, that's exactly right....I bet that Fermax cost's more than the cereal too, that and the fact that you can find all the stuff you need to make this recipe down at the local market on a Sunday afternoon just makes it that much more appealing to the one's like me who want to stay under the radar so to speak. hehehehe...
Offline Algiz  
#54 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 1:15:55 PM(UTC)
Algiz

Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention, I do use most of your technique here, just not the cereal. I meant to lol, and still have a box of cereal in my cupboard, but by the time I wanted to do it, a 5 gallon bucket seemed too small. I get a good result, around 10% usable, good stuff.
Offline Batch  
#55 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 8:59:11 AM(UTC)
Batch

"[ATTACH=CONFIG]972[/ATTACH]

Question for you guys that have used the recipe. Have any of you substituted a corn cereal for the Gerber? I saw some on the shelf (pictured above) and I was curious if using that would produce a product that might be similar to doing a recipe with corn. I bought the Beechnut Multi-Grain cereal for my first go around with this particular recipe."
Batch attached the following image(s):
815GC91TN-L__SL1500_.jpg (226kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline dieselduo  
#56 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:18:57 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

why not just get some cracked corn and do UJSSM if you want corn. Can't get any cheaper doing multiple generations and the flavor is great. It's simple and hard to screw up
Offline Batch  
#57 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:32:43 AM(UTC)
Batch

I just saw it on the shelf and the thought popped in my head. No real reason just a question out of curiosity.
Offline dieselduo  
#58 Posted : Thursday, May 15, 2014 9:56:30 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

I'm sure it would work like any other cereal recipe but they seem to be more neutrals to me
Offline heeler  
#59 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 1:46:53 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
Originally Posted by: dieselduo Go to Quoted Post
I'm sure it would work like any other cereal recipe but they seem to be more neutrals to me

You are right, it is more neutral and that's what the creater had in mind. And too, I agree with you, if you want corn just add some.

I wonder if adding maybe three or four boxes of the corn cereal might jazz it up a bit on the flavor??

Ya know I bet if you boiled a couple cans of kernal corn in a couple of gallons of water, then used that water in the fermenter it might add some cornyness to the wash and maybe some neutreints too but of course it comes down to the stillin method for the capture of that."
Offline Batch  
#60 Posted : Friday, May 16, 2014 2:47:50 AM(UTC)
Batch

"
Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
You are right, it is more neutral and that's what the creater had in mind. And too, I agree with you, if you want corn just add some.

I wonder if adding maybe three or four boxes of the corn cereal might jazz it up a bit on the flavor??

Ya know I bet if you boiled a couple cans of kernal corn in a couple of gallons of water, then used that water in the fermenter it might add some cornyness to the wash and maybe some neutreints too but of course it comes down to the stillin method for the capture of that.

I am wanting a neutral. Just seeing the box sparked some curiosity about what the taste would be like using that box rather than the multi-grain cereal.

Thanks for the feedback guys!"