logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline heeler  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:20:15 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Ok so today is day 16...so what you say, well its neutral runnin day. I got er loaded iin the cooker and put the heat to it. Some pics will carry you along with me.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:21:39 AM(UTC)
heeler

This is how I test the power it is consuming whilst its heating up and getting to cooking temp.
UserPostedImage
Offline heeler  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:25:58 AM(UTC)
heeler

"For heatup its pretty safe and this is all it pulls in high gear. Thats volts..
UserPostedImage

and this is AMPS so its still easy on my mind. Plenty left on this circut for the fridge. Thats 7.1 amps

UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:33:16 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Once I'm up and producing the goods this is all it takes for collection.
UserPostedImage
Again still pretty darn safe in my book no overloads here. Thats only 95 volts."
Offline heeler  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:39:52 AM(UTC)
heeler

"This is my first keeper jug after tossing the fores and most of the heads.
UserPostedImage
Not high proof like a 20 plate tower still but neither is anything that any of the big boys put into kegs to age for 4-5 years. I'll cut this no dought."
Offline heeler  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:51:19 AM(UTC)
heeler

"So now theres nothing to do but wait for the morn and give all them little jugs a good sniff and pick the good ones and toss the not so good ones. This has been kinda fun...oh I forgot......we've had 13 inches of rain in Fl. in the last month and DAMN the mosquitos are on the hunt. I started this about 5:30 this morning and those things were hungry.
Hope this will help anybody who needs it and give everybody something to read and look at."
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#27 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2012 2:55:13 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

Groups: Registered

damn heeler look good there planing on starting a wash today
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#28 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2013 8:45:20 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

I started my first Gerber wheat wash last week, it's bubbling away and smelling good. But since it's cold where i am I have to remain patient it may take it a month to fully ferment. That's okay cause I got another 5 gallon of UJSM going too it's on it's 4th weeks this weekend the SG is still a bit high so it's not ready either. I've down to my last quart of clear but I have two quarts of 3 month old charred stocked away.
Offline heeler  
#29 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 12:52:09 AM(UTC)
heeler

"johnny, I think this is the best smelling wash I make. I'm sure you have heard of sour mash and that it smells like puke....to me it does most times but this particular recipe has a faint cinammony smell when its distilled and after you cut it. Its really light and fluffy,

I too have had the 20-30 day ferments depending on the yeast I used but I never hurry it but thats just me. I think you will really like this hooch."
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#30 Posted : Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:55:07 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

Reading your thread about the gerber wash got me interested. Your photos and detailed instructions made it easy to put together. I actually had a lot of fun getting everything ready to ferment. Man on man Heeler it does smell good. Smells a lot different than the UJSM that i'm used to making. I can't wait to try it but i'm in no hurry i'm not gonna rush it. 20-30 day ferments isn't that bad. It's kinda out of sight out of mind kinda thing.

Thank you HEELER for putting this thread together for us!!!!
Offline johnnyapplepie  
#31 Posted : Monday, February 04, 2013 4:14:17 AM(UTC)
johnnyapplepie

Heeler,
I've got an update for you on my Gerber wash. I checked the SG on it yesterday and it read .98 so I racked it out of the fermentation bucket into another clean bucket. I'm going to let it sit for a few day to clear it a bit. Smells and looks great. I can't wait to distill this batch. I started this wash on Jan 11th and racked it yesterday total of 23 days. It is okay to let it sit for a few days right?
Offline heeler  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, February 05, 2013 8:37:09 AM(UTC)
heeler

"you bet, it wont hurt a thing... in fact I just leave mine in the original fermenter the whole 20-30 days and let it settle right there, maybe I'm just lazy but it never hurt a thing, hope you like it as much as I do!!!

Oh and try differnet yeast too, I like the distillers yeast with this most times cause the bakers gives it a bit of a yeasty aroma, not to a detriment but something to ponder."
Offline heeler  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 5:56:08 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Well I finally did this with clear juice..its a little on the tart side as compared to the combination of the two juices which is on the sweeter side. They are both good it just depends which character you want the next time you make a run.
UserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:09:03 AM(UTC)
heeler

"I know this is a Gerber Babyfood recipe and thread but I found another babyfood and its 1/3 the price of the Gerber. It has all the same ingrediants so I got 5 boxes and said lets givera go. I started 1 fermenter with the original and one with the new stuff so were off and running.
UserPostedImageUserPostedImage"
Offline heeler  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, March 13, 2013 6:13:59 AM(UTC)
heeler

"And of course I use my ferm/chiller any chance I get so in they go and set her at 68F. In two weeks we'll still em both and see if there's any difference. Its been cool enough in Florida lately that I prolly dont need it but I dont care I'm gonna use it anyway just cause I have it and to make sure my temp is on the lower side for the first 4-5 days or during the biggest growth spurt of the yeast.Cool
UserPostedImage"
Offline chooch  
#36 Posted : Thursday, March 21, 2013 9:41:22 AM(UTC)
chooch

Hey Heeler
8 days in...hows they lookin'? I just got a box of that muli grain Gerber and a box of Total ceral. I'm going to do twin batches like this with those two...should be interesting!
Offline heeler  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 12:41:30 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Sorry for the delay answering back....I pinched a nerve in my back and the drugs make you really gooey.

Today is day thirteen and my plan was to distill today, we got a little cold front pushing through and its like 50F outside so I was really excited but to my surprise they are still bubbleing in the airlocks. I cant still again until Thurs now so I'll have another look then.

I let these warm up to 74F so it would speed up the process but for now its still a waiting game. I hope by Thurs I can get going on these guys."
Offline heeler  
#38 Posted : Sunday, March 31, 2013 12:13:19 PM(UTC)
heeler

"Well I ran my dual washes today. What I found was that there was almost no real difference.

With the Beechnut I re-hydrated my yeast in a starter bottle and then pitched.
With the Gerber I just poured the yeast right on top.(the same amount) That was the only change in the recipe construction.

It seems that the Gerber had more heads, and started at a higher proof, the finished hooch was suprisingly similar and the quantity of finished hooch was really close. I dont know why it would have been different because the grains were prepared exactly the same way I'm sure. Afterall its babyfood and it looked identical. I dont think I'll change the name but why not save a little money where I can. In the morning when I make my cuts and toss out what I dont want I'm gonna give em both a really good sniff."
Offline captinjack  
#39 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:01:53 PM(UTC)
captinjack

Heeler,
I got the notice of my still order being shipped and I wanted to do a wash and did this one. I followed it to a T just like it says except for two things ,I'll get to that. I used 3 envelopes of fleischman's active dry yeast for the yeast. The first thing I did different or wrong ? is after every thing was in the fermenter I filled it to the 25L mark (I think 5gal. is 23L) but thats what I did... I pitched the yeast at 4:20 and went gave it a little stir and locked it down. And looked at it at 6:15 and it was bubbling away and after 31/2 to 4 days it was down to like 3 bubbles a min. The other thing that I didn't follow was I didn't read the instructions on the BH yeast nut's. I only put in 3 tsp in and after it slowed down I re-read the nut's bottle and I think I should have used like 9 tsp so I added 2 more tsp and locked back down and it took rite off and 3 days later it stopped all together... The temps were from the mid 70's to low 60's out in my shop. The starting sg was 1.081 and when I added the nut's it was at 1.005 and after it stopped on like day 6 to 7 it ended up at 0.095 I racked it off to clear but I was just wondering if this sounds about right to you... Also thanks for the easy recipe...
Captinjack
Offline heeler  
#40 Posted : Thursday, April 18, 2013 1:47:31 PM(UTC)
heeler

"Yeah you should be ok..no worries.
The amount of nuts that you added were no dought better than none so again no worries. I never really measure the nutrients I add,
I just sprinkle em on but timing is everything, ya know??
That starting gravity is just right IMHO.
And the temps, man your gonna like this as a nuetral likker with ferm temps in that range.

I like how you started with --- I followed the recipe to a T except.......

That yeast will do just fine --did you re-hydrate? Even if you didn't no problem.

Hope you like the finished product."