logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline whiskeymonster  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:27:46 AM(UTC)
whiskeymonster

Groups: Registered

"Hi Guys! :) I need some help from all of you distilling masters BigGrin I attended a friend's party somewhere in a countryside town and had drunk loads of home-distilled spirits. This gave me frustrations to make my own alcohol too and I'm totally interested about the idea! My friend showed me an alembic still (if I remember the term correctly lol) that he used to distill and told me some backgrounds about home distillation. I'm planning to purchase my own still so I searched the web and found these distillers:

copper whiskey still from www.whiskeystill.net
stainless steel EasyStillTM Distiller from www.brewhaus.com

I'm all new to this and I'd like to get your insights about which one to use best. The one from whiskeystill.net is really beautiful and they say very versatile. Although I see that the easystill is easier to use but it's quite small. They're made of two different metals too, does that matter? Please enlighten me with this. Thanks! :)

(why aren't the links working? aw Sad )"
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 6:46:30 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hey welcome. Really have enjoyed my Brewhaus SS 3 incher in complete kit form. Real short learning curve. Never had the pleasure to have much scoop on the whiskeystill.net place. From what I understand the Easy Stills work good for such a small apparatus but are apparently easy to outgrow. Might be an option for somebody who has zero room for a conventional gizmo. In fact somebody was trying to peddle one on here just recently. The storebought copper stills I have seen advertised tend to be higher than a Cat's Back. Let us know where you land. Thanks. PS went and looked at the site you mentioned. Looks they specialize in the onion bulb looking potstills. Would not mind to have one myself..lol. Think thats what old Texaswhitewolf uses...bound to be a good plan. Everybody from Texas is real smart ya know? Snag the Brewhaus model and one of them too.
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:36:22 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

i got the 5 gal alembic still i love it not going to lie when i got it i had to do some cleaning on the inside of the swan neck nothing bad just cleaned it with a vinger salt mix and baby bottle scurby. and hey big that the same website i got mine from its not scold its relvots but mine makes just great on the inside around the relvots they got this lenya seed oil or some crap dont smell great dont take it off after the first vinger run it is fine no taste carry over form it takes me about 5 hours from start up to finish for me its not bad two to three pints of hearts a run . not trying to loss money for rick but i can run this one on my stove hell it sit on my coffe table for a talk pecie when im not useing it plus it looks great
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:53:20 AM(UTC)

I guess all great minds think alike. Was just thinking that would look good on the coffee table as a conversation piece. Keep talking..I may have to get one..lol. Sure it would make a good impression on the Warden to be cooking hooch on her kitchen stove. You trying to get me kilt here? Might have to have a dedicated hotplate on this deal. Hey I just happen to have a hot plate. I best check to see if that Onyx Visor card is back within limits yet..lol. First good advice I got in this hobby is to have a separate and dedicated pot still.
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:05:36 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

lol i love mine what can i say. see my old dont cook much so its my stove lol. i thought about a hot plate im just not sure what type and all that stove elec plus vent fan lol. after i place the order it was here 2 days later.for me it just right cause i run 4.5 gals at a time did 2.5 the other day worked great . the condsiened worm and bucket are easy full with cold water and slide a ice bottles in the middle of the worm chrange out every so i use about 12 to 14 froze water bottles a run more close to the end . i use the 16 oz bottle to where the swan neck and condseined meet i use a rye potty just rye flour and water mix till thick then seal it up and ready to go
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:30:50 AM(UTC)

Wow...wished you hadnt gave me all the bad news about the rye flour putty and the frozen ice jugs. I aint got a bit of room in the freezer for ice jugs and I dont like messy stuff..lol. As our old pal Darryl Royal would say concerning quarterbacks...We will dance with who brung us. Sides it take only about five mins to turn Old Sparky into a pot still..lol.
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:45:08 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

lol what can i say im happy
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 10:55:52 AM(UTC)

Me too. Not to be redundant yet all over again..the hobby aint near as much work as I was anticipating. Might have saved some folks a D wobbly trying to get back n forth to the likker store.
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:47:18 PM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

That is true ived already saved money lol getting the wash done the biggest part cause there some many to try lol
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:32:24 AM(UTC)

Yep seems to be endless possibilities on the washes mashes etc. Got one that needs running as we speak..but I still got plenty of hooch. I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and run it or wait till the drinking material gets low. What do you think I should do?
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 4:36:56 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

what the hell run can never have to much lol im just waiting for my white trash bandy to stop fermenting lol. hey big was cleaning up my ferment tforgot i had all the lees from the cornmeal rye siting in a 1 gal contaner got about 4 inch of water on it still bubbling away lol im scraed
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 4:57:40 AM(UTC)

Hey Bro I think thats a hint it wants to be freshened up and reincarnated. Listen close to the bubbles...they say..run me again..lol.
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 5:03:36 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

hopefully they can wait be next week before i get more sugar
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:01:11 AM(UTC)

Couple of days is the longest I have went before a recharge. Should last longer seems like. As long as there is a few yeastes still feeling good down in there is all it takes. Thats one good thing about the re-runs is it really cuts back on the fresh yeast useage.
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:52:38 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

ok i keep my hopes up lol i think it will be good i'll feed it a little
Offline whiskeymonster  
#16 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 6:56:07 AM(UTC)
whiskeymonster

"
Originally Posted by: texaswhitewolf Go to Quoted Post
i got the 5 gal alembic still i love it not going to lie when i got it i had to do some cleaning on the inside of the swan neck nothing bad just cleaned it with a vinger salt mix and baby bottle scurby. and hey big that the same website i got mine from its not scold its relvots but mine makes just great on the inside around the relvots they got this lenya seed oil or some crap dont smell great dont take it off after the first vinger run it is fine no taste carry over form it takes me about 5 hours from start up to finish for me its not bad two to three pints of hearts a run . not trying to loss money for rick but i can run this one on my stove hell it sit on my coffe table for a talk pecie when im not useing it plus it looks great

Wow! Yeah it must really be interesting to talk about, i mean its craftmanship lol BigGrin true! I really find the copper whiskey still beautiful ! I was kinda worried about it being riveted, I mean it might leak. So you mean the lenya seed oil seals the whole thing?

Thanks! :)"
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#17 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:15:49 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

see i worry about that to but so far 7 runs no leaks but then again that every happen scoleding gun here i come lol. really its the reivets that do the oil crap is just around the jots inside the pot they say it stops leak not sure so i left it didnt see no harm and cant find much about it any way. alot of it came off the bottom but no leaks . idoits around me think it makes beer i love dumb people sometimes it fun lol. i got the friend comes by every few days i told him i was going to do get one for the longest time he said he couldnt wait fanilly got he run to the hills scard then again i was drinking 130 proof rum stairght so what can say. but yall dont get me wrong rievets may be a worry but as long as you take care and maintecen to her she love you long time lol no pun intend mines called bettie after bettie page cause she just so sexy
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:31:34 AM(UTC)

I hit a big article on the care and use of them things just the other day. Think Tex is trying to say Linseed oil here but just guessing..lol. Them swamp dwellers talk funny sometimes. I think you is supposed to leave the gunk on there if I remember the article right. Stumbled over that whilst looking for Scottys brass dielemma..lol.
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#19 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:43:10 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

yall big i was you know my dixsclit ass. im not in the swamp just most the family i get back on land sometimes lol.linessend oil i left it on no harm.
#20 Posted : Thursday, May 24, 2012 8:01:03 AM(UTC)

Yeppers..we did not just fall off the turnip truck..lol. Ya know since I been recollecting on this taking care of copper bulbs came from the website where WhiskeyMonster say he was thinking to maybe buy one and where you had already snagged one. If it wasnt on that site it linked to it someway. Anyway they had step by step illustrated directions on how to nurture the extraction instruments.