logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Fusefinder  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2012 9:55:34 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

Groups: Registered

"I am looking to upgrade from a small home made 3 gallon pot to the Essential Extractor PSII High Capacity- Complete Distiller w/ 8 gallon induction Kettle. I currently have an induction heater which not sure how the bottom (recessed) will match up.
My questions are:

How well does the 1500 watt heater work with the 8 gallon units?
I understand I may have to modify to a contestant heat controller, info on both sides would be appreciated!

How long does it take to run a 25L wash at 10-12% abv?

Does anyone have an opinion good, bad or ugly they would like to add about this model or another sold here.

Thanks!"
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2012 12:22:32 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Well sounds like your gonna be styling soonish congrats. Have made more than a few runs using the 1500 hotplate and the big milk bucket but only doing six gallons or so. Only downside I have found it takes a long time to heat up..most times two hours or in that vicinity..sometimes a little shorter. Now having slept through physics 101 seems like a smaller fuller pot should heat up quicker..but just guessing on that part. Induction be the way to go for us stealthy indoor types who do not like to mess with propane..I would think. Might take a new heater to make that deal work. When I get to refluxing figger its gonna knock 10 hrs outta the day. Little quicker in the pot still mode but not by much cuz it still take a while to warm itself up to a battle ready condition. Kindly keeps us posted as events unfold themselves and best of fortunes on the endeavor.
Offline Bushy  
#3 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:40:21 PM(UTC)
Bushy

"Hi Fusefinder, I don't know anything about induction heaters except I would'nt trust one with the amount of weight your going to be putting on it.
I use propane for heat. I have a Blickman burner and a standard turkey fryer propane unit. The Blickman is a very good unit , easy to control and will bring you up to temp in an hour or less, faster than electric, then you turn it down to barely on to maintain your temp. As to how long it will take with electric burner I'm sure someone else will tell you. With propane it takes me about 7 to 8 hours to make a reflux run with a 5 1/2 to 6 gallon wash useing my ps II. If you are useing the HC model it will make the same run in less time.
If your going electric induction make sure your pot is going to make contact with the hot plate, otherwise you'll never heat up. The 1500 watt heater with a Router control box by passing the regulator is a good way to go. If you don't bypass the regulator on the hot plate it will cycle on and off and take forever to come to a boil. Bypassing and useing a Router control box also makes it easier to control your temp.
Have fun and good luck."
Offline jgram  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 6:56:13 AM(UTC)
jgram

"Fusefinder,

I have the Premium 8 Gal with the 1500W hot plate (by-passed) and a wash will heat up in about 2 hours. If you have done some stripping runs and saved them up they will heat up a little quicker but only by 20 to 30 min.

The stripping run will take a 6 to 7 hour chunck out of your day and running the low wines through nice and easy takes 8 to 10 hours.

I separate out in pint jars, cover them for a day or so with coffee filters and then make my cuts after they air out a bit.

The induction kettle does have to make contact with the induction hot plate for it to work. You should call and talk with Rick. He will get back to you if you leave a message.

JGRAM"
Offline John Barleycorn  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 12:23:50 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"+1 jgram

My times are basically identical.

--JB"
#6 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 12:25:45 PM(UTC)

"Dittos to all this good advice..thanks Bushy. That weight factor on the induction heat got me a little hesitant about it too. Know water weighs 8 lbs a gallon and time you got it all sugared up should weigh a tad more than that. Most of the heaters I have noticed advertised seem to claimed to hold fifty pounds which could get a person over the limit real quick according to the weight of the boiler and such stuff. I'm leaning toward water heater elements in my copper over keg two incher ever get itself birth from the slow pokey plumber..lol. Thinking of two 110s..fortunantly I just happen to have access to two circuits at the same time. Figger to run em both till we get in the short strokes them unplug one. Whatcha think? Router controller on the other.

Originally Posted by: Bushy Go to Quoted Post
Hi Fusefinder, I don't know anything about induction heaters except I would'nt trust one with the amount of weight your going to be putting on it.
I use propane for heat. I have a Blickman burner and a standard turkey fryer propane unit. The Blickman is a very good unit , easy to control and will bring you up to temp in an hour or less, faster than electric, then you turn it down to barely on to maintain your temp. As to how long it will take with electric burner I'm sure someone else will tell you. With propane it takes me about 7 to 8 hours to make a reflux run with a 5 1/2 to 6 gallon wash useing my ps II. If you are useing the HC model it will make the same run in less time.
If your going electric induction make sure your pot is going to make contact with the hot plate, otherwise you'll never heat up. The 1500 watt heater with a Router control box by passing the regulator is a good way to go. If you don't bypass the regulator on the hot plate it will cycle on and off and take forever to come to a boil. Bypassing and useing a Router control box also makes it easier to control your temp.
Have fun and good luck.
"
Offline Fusefinder  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:40:16 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"I have e-mailed Rick and here is what I have recieved:

""Our induction kettles are 14" in diameter, and have a slightly recessed bottom to fit the diffuser plate. However, in most cases the diameter is large enough to sit properly on an induction cooker. The kettle weighs approximately 15lbs without the diffuser plate.""
(6 gallon x 8lbs)+15=63lbs

If anyone has a picture of the bottom of the Kettle I would greatly appreciate it...Rick did not have any.

My 12 qt pot doing a 10 qt run takes 2.5-3 hours. Last week did 3 pots and took 8.5 hours, that was running a bit hotter than I would like to but only had so much time that day. Last run was quicker took hot left over wash and added all the heads, tails and boilovers to it, little re-heat time.

And thanks for all the input, that's what makes forums great"
Offline Bushy  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:40:48 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi Bigwheel, a Router controller on the one you use to maintain heat would be a good idea. That will allow you to change heat settings as needed. I take it your going to use both elements to get up to boil then unplug one.
#9 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:36:18 AM(UTC)

Yeppers that was the game plan on the elements. Heard somewhere that would work. Guess if it aint muy bueno person could hook up a controller to each element if that what it take to hit the sweet spot.
Offline jgram  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 12:54:03 PM(UTC)
jgram

"Fusefinder,

PM me your email and I will try to email you a photo of the botom of my Premium 8 Gal if that will help.

jgram"
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 2:52:44 PM(UTC)

Now you know they can track all our transmissions down to the GPS co ordinates in case the guv'ment want to drop a Jdam on your operation. Prez Osama is filming us from the Drone Airplanes. The likker lobby is real strong. You know how much Seagrams gives to the politicians? Me neither but it got to be a bunch. Follow the money and there should be a pot of gold at the end.
Offline scotty  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:21:55 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Have rick install a couplimg to allow you to use a hot water heater element . Put a high wattage one in the boiler and then use the router control with that. I have a 6000 watt/240 volt element in by boiler. I start at 240 volts and i switch to 120 volts and the router speed control when temp comes up. At 120 volts, the 6000 watt/240 volt element becomes a 1500 watt element and the route control allows me to tweak the wattage.
Offline Fusefinder  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:37:46 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"Could you post a link on where to look at, and what type of 6000 watt element you are using? That sounds like a very good way to go!
Thanks"
Offline scotty  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 2:40:36 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: Fusefinder Go to Quoted Post
Could you post a link on where to look at, and what type of 6000 watt element you are using? That sounds like a very good way to go!
Thanks

I dont understand what you are asking for."
Offline muadib2001  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:10:26 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

Offline Fusefinder  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:44:39 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

Thanks for the link... I saw many that were 6000 watt but most were 1.5" threads or way too long.
#17 Posted : Wednesday, May 16, 2012 9:47:28 AM(UTC)

Well yall have plumb lost me here..which aint unusual lol. Fuse..have you already got the bucket threaded to accept the element(s)..if not why would it make any difference on the size? Now could see where if they was too long they could bumps heads with one another. On my particular deal two 110's would be preferable to hiring a drunk electrician to come out and rig up the two circuits to make a 220. That chore prob set a person back a hundred or two..which would be plenty enough to buy the 110 elements and get the drunk welder..who best be working free since he has got so much free shine outta me thus far to rig them up. The welders theory is bring him the elements that need to go in there and he can handle the rest. Whataguy huh..lol.
Offline badbill2  
#18 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 12:19:14 AM(UTC)
badbill2

Wow! That's a lot of potential shock and power consumption. I've thoght about electric, but the little bit I played with just had too many negatives. Outside, water, shocks, slow, wires, power supplies etc. I guess you gotta decide weather you want to die from electricity or blow up from gas? I'll stick with the gas for now, the 20 bucks a tank don't seem too bad and I can get about three good 8-gal. runs off a tank. I think the best part is to be able to operate anywhere you want. My water either comes out of the ocean or recycles thru my pool but if your just pot stillin, I don't use the water too often.
Offline scotty  
#19 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 12:39:36 AM(UTC)
scotty

"I think you are over reacting about electricity. It happens to be very simple to understand and i would hope that when making any instillation the power is off and a proper sized breaker is used. As far as 220 volts to the still connection, i wrapped it with a home made boot made from part of a inner tube with plastic ties to prevent accidental shocks. If you use paper clips for yur connections then you have no business working with any electricity. But realize that an internal element is much more efficient than a hotplate.

NATURALLY IF YOU ARE THAT UNCOMFORTABLE with electricity you should definitly stay away from it.
As far as power consumption, 220 is cheaper in the long run to use than 110 and the shorter heat up time is most desirable.
Never do thing that frighten you. A gas burner is high output and quite controllable

Ask biou ruler about his setup. HMM HOW DO YOY SPELL BOYOU ???? LOL LOL"
Offline badbill2  
#20 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:03:01 AM(UTC)
badbill2

I'm not arguing. Electric is fine if that's what your comfortable with! Your right about the submersion heater effiency. As far as safety is concerned I guess if you insulate with a tire inner tube your safe enough!