logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline scotty  
#21 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:40:28 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"UserPostedImage

This is the 220 volt element. The rubber boot is not on yet

UserPostedImage

This is a control box for the applied voltage. There are 2 wires going in and one going out.
The in wires are plugs for 110 and the other for 220"
Offline scotty  
#22 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:46:16 AM(UTC)
scotty

The box contains a DPDT relay that is activated by a pid control. It applies 220 volts untill the sensor detects heat at the base of the column then the relay drops back to the normally closed position which applys 120 volts and the router control. I had hoped to set the still up with sensors and solenoid valves to separate the fores, head, hearts and tails. Unfortunately surgery and recoup time screwed up those plans.
Offline scotty  
#23 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 1:49:24 AM(UTC)
scotty

"UserPostedImage

I purchased this crank up dolly to help compensate for the loss of strength i experienced"
Offline Fusefinder  
#24 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 3:35:11 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

Groups: Registered

"I am looking into electric, I believe its cheaper where I am, as compared to propane. As an Electrician I feel a bit more at ease with it. That is why running 220 volt power is not a problem. Also I've been present when 2 different gas control valves failed due to heat and it was too hot to get close enough shut off the tank valve. Me personally, I just feel safer with electric, IMHO.

I have not yet ordered the pot I want yet, I am still exploring my options. I had seen the pots on other sites, with couplers added but was not aware that Rick would add them. I like that option better than the propane or hot plate.

The DPDT switch with a 220/110v 4-wire supply seems to be a safe option with terminals mounted inside a sealed enclosure. I can pull a feed from my hot tub panel so it would be GFCI protected as well.

I am looking to order in the next few weeks, still getting ideas and options. I hate to order and then see another option a week later that I wish I investigated a little further.
Please keep the ideas, opinions and personal setup coming!
Thanks"
#25 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 4:57:56 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Great looking set up Scotty. Got to get me one of them hand trucks. Hey Fuse if your definitely going electric immersion not sure how a person could beat a beer keg for a boiler. they are big cheap and stout.
Offline scotty  
#26 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:24:00 AM(UTC)
scotty

"I favor the brewhaus premium boiler because the cover comes off for easier cleaning.

UserPostedImage

Here is another idea for monitoring your app;ied voltage and current.
I got the guages from an outfit called skycraft

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/acpanelmeter.aspx"
Offline scotty  
#27 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 5:32:58 AM(UTC)
scotty

"I dont think that skycraft had an a/c ammeter that went high enough. I believe i had to search for one
I needed a 25 amp or larger for my project.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Analog-...&hash=item19c5591116"
#28 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:55:28 AM(UTC)

Got to agree with ya on the BH milk buckets. They mighty nice and easy to clean. I aint never had anything remotely try to stick or scorch..even considering it has a flat bottom and if something was going to cause problems the flat bottom should contribute. Leads me to the perhaps erroneous opinion that a round bottom beer keg would be even less apt to have issues. Looks like a person could take out the element(s) and scrub it through the hole with a long neck beer bottle brush in a worst case scenario. Or maybe that could be done on a routine basis. At least take them out and look to see if something is taking root down in there lol.
Offline badbill2  
#29 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 7:50:30 AM(UTC)
badbill2

I agee you got to make sure it's clean. I ain't never had nothin stick to my keg yet. I went toa lot of trouble to cut top off and make a seal but so far no problems. It's just good to know it' starting off clean,. Would hate to lose a load.
#30 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:19:35 AM(UTC)

Yeppers losing a load would be a heart breaker.
Offline swalter418  
#31 Posted : Wednesday, August 01, 2012 4:36:43 AM(UTC)
swalter418

"Hi All, what kind of spirits can I make using a PS II reflux model? Does it give me the flexibility to make whiskey, vodka, rum, others?

Thank you"
Offline Fusefinder  
#32 Posted : Wednesday, August 01, 2012 5:03:56 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"It seems opinions vary on this...I do most of my runs (Rum, Whiskey, Vodka) with the both sections and copper scrubbers in them. I run without water in the reflux head and run slow...this creates a reflux of its own but not anywhere the extent of running water through the column.
I do this and run 1 time where many others run with the center section removed without water and run fast but with 2 runs. This will be a matter of personal preference, and this model gives you both options. I think 8 gallons is right size, easy to manage and a lot of recipes are set up for 5-6 gallon size. The 8 gallon size is easy to reach and clean and I have never had any issue with sticky molasses or corn burning onto the element.

I have the PSII high cap w/8 gallon kettle. I had BH weld a coupler to it for an internal heater, and installed a water heater element. The craftsmanship is outstanding...I don't believe you would be disappointed!
My opinion is if you have a little extra cash have the coupler welded at purchase, if you don't use it right away plug it, but it is a great option for a little expense up front that gives you much versatility

I know I kinda went on a rant about internal heaters, just very happy with my setup... to answer your original question:

Originally Posted by: swalter418 Go to Quoted Post
Hi All, what kind of spirits can I make using a PS II reflux model? Does it give me the flexibility to make whiskey, vodka, rum, others?

Thank you

Yes I think it gives you all the flexibility you need!

Just my 2 cents! BigGrin"
Offline Fusefinder  
#33 Posted : Wednesday, August 01, 2012 5:13:23 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"I used an induction heater on my previous still, 3 gallon size. I found the internal heater is much quicker to heat up.
Personal opinion again, I think its cleaner and easier. A water heater element is much cheaper to replace if burned up than an induction heater or a hot plate. The 8 gallon size is easy to reach and clean the element and have never had any issue with sticky molasses or corn burning onto it.
Sorry for the double post I hit submit rather than preview post Blushing"
Offline swalter418  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, August 01, 2012 5:56:07 AM(UTC)
swalter418

Thanks for info. Would this be similar to a water heater element? I assume the element will boil the mash inside the kettle?
Offline Fusefinder  
#35 Posted : Wednesday, August 01, 2012 6:58:57 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"Yes, this thread has a few pics and info if your interested
[HTML]http://www.brewhausforum.com/showthread.php?t=2443[/HTML]"