logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Taylorboy  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 11:13:55 AM(UTC)
Taylorboy

Groups: Registered

Has anyone ever heard or doing a say 10 gal mash with half cornmeal and half cracked corn with sugar,water,yest.......any thoughts?
Offline heeler  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2012 7:20:51 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
sure you can do that -- the corn is just for a little flavor, this is a sugar wash but if you heat that grain in some water and then add your sugar it'll give ya some flavor careover I'm sure.
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 17, 2012 11:13:20 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

I would vote for leaving the corn meal out of the equation. Its messy..hard to strain if you happen to want to strain it..when boiling water hits it in the fermenter it turns into cornmeal dumplings which take forever to bust up..blah blah blah. Cracked corn has to be more user friendly I think.
Offline Mulie1  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 8:04:44 AM(UTC)
Mulie1

Hello, corn meal is pretty messy but it works. I crack corn, boil it, convert it, add sugar, and then ferment until settled, then I siphon off the clear.
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:18:03 AM(UTC)

Hey Mulie1 welcome. Since I posted that message I got to thinking on it the cornmeal alone has gave me the most high quality output of any wash I have run and still got a little flavor after refluxing. Anyway I went and deleted the message bad mouthing corn meal..lol. I am sending the Warden out for a five pound bag tomorrow. I have an empty fermenter going to waste. Now I am way too lazy to convert corn on the cob etc.
Offline Mulie1  
#6 Posted : Thursday, April 26, 2012 10:44:52 AM(UTC)
Mulie1

Thanks for the welcome! I have been homebrewing for 20 years so the starch conversion bit is part of my normal brewing cycle. I totally agree on how clean the corn mashes then boils out. And the potstilled flavor just can't be beat.
#7 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2012 9:49:19 AM(UTC)

Great credentials on the twenty years worth of experience in the hooch making hobby. Know you will be a great asset to the Brewhaus Forum. Sure you are gonna get hounded to death with questions...lol.
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 09, 2012 5:10:32 PM(UTC)

"Where did you go Sir. I have some questions.

Originally Posted by: Mulie1 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the welcome! I have been homebrewing for 20 years so the starch conversion bit is part of my normal brewing cycle. I totally agree on how clean the corn mashes then boils out. And the potstilled flavor just can't be beat.
"
Offline Mulie1  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 09, 2012 5:59:24 PM(UTC)
Mulie1

I am on the road so I am not checking in too much. Glad to help if I can. What's up?
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:12:19 AM(UTC)

Mainly just making sure you was still kicking. Did not realize you was a traveling man. Hope you aint one of the itinerant lightning rod and buggy whip salesmen my Daddy warned me about..lol. That bunch is apparently bad about running off with wives and girlfriends etc. What be the proper and easy procedure for lazy fat boys who sweat a lot to convert cornmeal into something the yeast would like to eat for a small batch run say five or six gallons? Thanks.
Offline muadib2001  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:35:00 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
What be the proper and easy procedure for lazy fat boys who sweat a lot to convert cornmeal into something the yeast would like to eat for a small batch run say five or six gallons? Thanks.

I think a couple of dissolved Beanno tablets into the wash prior to pitching the yeast would help convert some of the cornmeal starches to sugars. Since the Beanno tablets are enzymes, I wouldn't add them until the wash had cooled to ~100°F (body temperature).

I bought cracked corn the other day and want to use Beanno for this task in a take-off of the UJSM recipe. I'm only trying for the first stage of the process, the "sweet" run.

Muadib
#12 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:13:23 AM(UTC)

Thanks for that Beano tip. Wonder if there is something in there that regular digestive enzymes dont contain. I been trying to throw a couple of them in there when I happen to think of it. Guess I best go Google it up and see whats in it..lol.

PS...Well I checked. Headed off to buy Beano as we speak..lol.
Offline Mulie1  
#13 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:11:26 AM(UTC)
Mulie1

You can mash the corn with some barley malt, 6 row works the best. The enzymes are in the barley. I have also used alpha and beta enzymes directly in the corn without barley with good results. I have to say that it is the temperature control that is the key. overshoot or undershoot a little and its game over. lots of ways to do this. of course the trick is to use what have around. a picnic cooler works very well for a 6lb mash. lemme know if u details on this bit.
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:08:42 PM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

Originally Posted by: Mulie1 Go to Quoted Post
You can mash the corn with some barley malt, 6 row works the best.

From what i have read there used to be a difference in enzyme levels between 2 and 6 row but with modern breeding there isnt any more. Its worth noting that only in the states do they use 6 row.

Also my understanding concerning the temp is overshooting is diasterous as it kills the enzymes but undershooting is not as conversion still occurs but just at a slower rate. Conversion is fastest at temp closest to killing the enzymes which is why 140 is ideal.
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:49:37 PM(UTC)

Thanks for all this good info folks.
Offline Mulie1  
#16 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2012 7:56:54 AM(UTC)
Mulie1

"""there used to be a difference in enzyme levels between 2 and 6 row but with modern breeding there isnt any more.""

Well I guess this shows my age ;-) That explains why my last conversion went well with two row. I ran out of six row and used what I had.

For me, the most important bits are temperature and time in that order.

Thanks for the info!"
#17 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2012 10:44:44 AM(UTC)

Well think that big blob of boiled cornmeal got itself about halfast converted. Added my Montonn Light malt and let it sit in the pot in the big Omaha Steaks ice chest all night. Just fit when the pot lid got turned upside down. Was still real warmish when I took it out about noon today. Looked a little juicier than when it went in..think thats a clue. It was showing 140 when I added the malt..but that was as high as it ever got before I chickened out. Realized both my fermenters is currently full so grabbed up two square plastic wild bird seed buckets with lids from WW which say they hold four gallons. Split what goop I could scrape outta the pot without getting the burnt stuff 50/50..mixed five pounds of sugar into each bucket and pounded it mightily with the paint stirrer attached to the cordless drill..seems like it broke up most of the dumplings...filled the buckets up from the hose and added two crushed up Beanos to each one plust a heaping Tablespoon of distillers yeast. Have riled it up two more times with the paint stirrer. Currently simpering away in the mancave. Yall kindly pray for me. Thanks. Thinking them buckets bound to be food grade or they would kill the birds huh? I thought so..lol.
Offline badbill2  
#18 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2012 12:38:56 PM(UTC)
badbill2

bigwheel, You Making shine or Chile?
#19 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 4:21:25 AM(UTC)

Well trying to make shine on this particular occasion..but making chili is also one of my specialties. Dont make me show you the trophies..lol. Maybe I am getting those two hobbies running too close together. May leave out the chili powder on the next run just to see what happens. Thanks.
Offline badbill2  
#20 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 4:33:13 AM(UTC)
badbill2

I make a pretty good pot of chili but don't have any trophies. That should say something. They won't let me put my beans in the pot!