logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#21 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 5:19:11 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Normally need to find an unsanctioned or outlaw contest to use the beans. Not a good plan generally cuz when you start allowing addendums its easier to come up with a marked cup your pals the judges can pick out. Me and some chums started our own sanctioning body. Did a bunch of cookoffs mostly at grocery stores..beer joints and stuff like that. Its a great way to boost the business of the location. General game plan was to get at least a couple hundred bucks from the host to help sweeten up the kitty. Grocery stores are good about giving gift cards and stuff like that. Good excuse to get drunk and fulfill the primordial need of folks to play with fire.
Offline badbill2  
#22 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 5:26:18 AM(UTC)
badbill2

Groups: Registered

Great Idea. I got a bunch of local, redneck establisments that might be interested in some extra business. That would be a good way to get in and get started. I got enough people that think they can make chili and this would be a good test. Thanks for the idea. Plus you could make your own rules and prizes. Don't really matter if your out to just raise hell and have a few pops. I kinda got stuck at home, this would be a good out!
#23 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 8:35:17 AM(UTC)

There ya go. Sounds like you going into bizness quick here. Comp chili is near as much fun as comp bbq but aint near as expensive..labor intensive..sleep depriving or liver destroying. You need to pick a mean lady who is good at math to be the head judge. Our little Association has some very kewlish well thought out rules..lawyer drawn up disclaimers scoring sheets etc. Not sure you want to get that formal with it..but if so give me a holler. In fact I could make you one of our Official Affiliates. That only cost fifty bucks with the ghorntee that it will be spent only on beer and likker...lol. For that you get a hard copy of all the paperwork and a promise to try and help you do it right. Keeps us posted. We have a branch in Chicago or some other godforsaken place like that..along with quite a few other places mainly located here in God's Country.
Offline badbill2  
#24 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:54:54 PM(UTC)
badbill2

I'm not sure ifif I want to deal with people in cincinatti
#25 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 1:23:40 PM(UTC)

Hmmm..think that is E. Texas..long way from here. Now did get edumacated on the edumacational food channel enough to know I like Cincinatti style chili dawgs..that be a weenie with chili..cheese..raw onyawn and sour kraut..smothered in Frenchies yellow mustart. You do not even want to smell of a Pittsburgh Hotlink. That be in the same geography most likely. Only food item I ever seen which the Rotty refused to eat. Now I like my weenie fried and the bun toasted. May not be true Cincinatti style but its purty close.
Offline Mulie1  
#26 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2012 3:40:13 AM(UTC)
Mulie1

"""Currently simpering away in the mancave. Yall kindly pray for me.""

I do all the steps seperately, never tried putting them all togeather like this. After boiling the cracked corn, I convert the corn/barley first at a starting temp 156F in a picnic cooler for at least 4-5 hours(usually overnight). Keep us posted!"
#27 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:24:18 AM(UTC)

Will do. Got it locked down yesterday mainly since them crazy ants has returned to haunt the hooching area. Thanks for the help. Think I will have a better grasp of what the heck I am doing next time..lol.
#28 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 12:44:57 PM(UTC)

"Well thought I give yall an update. Using my excellent 20/20 hindsight can see I shoulda followed Texs get the water boiling first strategy on the cornmeal..lol. Now I am trying to figger out this. On Mr. Suttons original..supposedly..recipe. It calls for a gallon of Malt which seems to indicate we speaking liquids here. Trying to figger if my trusty old beer making pal Blue Ribbon Malt Syrup would work on this deal? Used to pick it up at the grocery store for about five bucks. Did a little research and found it had a name change to Premier and is about 12 bucks or so...mailorder..which be thirty bucks at the home brew shoppe..naw it be beneath their dignity to sell that stuff. Quart can I think. What say ye? Could that convert the corn? Since we are trying to get the sugar squeezed out of the corn...why not just start with Corn Sugar aka Dextrose or at least enough to duplicate what the corn could give up on its best scenario..and throw some corn in there for flavor? Thanks.

Originally Posted by: Mulie1 Go to Quoted Post
""Currently simpering away in the mancave. Yall kindly pray for me.""

I do all the steps seperately, never tried putting them all togeather like this. After boiling the cracked corn, I convert the corn/barley first at a starting temp 156F in a picnic cooler for at least 4-5 hours(usually overnight). Keep us posted!
"
Offline badbill2  
#29 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 1:09:10 PM(UTC)
badbill2

I think your right bigwheel. I wouldn't pay that much to get a conversion going. About 4- bannana peels should do the same thing.
Offline Mulie1  
#30 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 1:11:24 PM(UTC)
Mulie1

"The liquid malt extract is already sugar syrup and it won't convert the corn meal. But the cornmeal will give some flavor if you leave it in the bucket throughout the fermentation cycle. You will be fermenting only the malt sugar and the granulated sugar you add so don't count on any extra sugar from the corn as it will still be starch.

To convert the corn meal from starch to sugar the corn meal (or cracked corn) needs to be boiled first until it thickens and starts to get that pasty-sticky feel (about an hour or two of cooking). Then the temp of the watery corn meal needs to be dropped, then add the enzymes (malted cracked barley or powdered brewing enzyme) to yield a temp of 156. Of course, this is the trick. Hint: its better to start low and creep up by adding small amounts of boiling water while stirring constantly. Don't go over or the enzymes will get whacked. The first time you do this it helps to have an extra set of eyes and hands because stirring, adding boiling water, and watching a thermometer at the same time is a real trick.

ok - i think I made this sound hard. Its not that bad once you get the hang of it ;-)"
Offline Shinejunky  
#31 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 1:39:47 PM(UTC)
Shinejunky

I added two teaspoons of lemon juice to my water before cooking the corn it upped my potential by 2%. Using 7lbs corn to 3lbs of six row. I have not ran the wash yet but have started the sour mash working
Offline Mulie1  
#32 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2012 2:00:11 PM(UTC)
Mulie1

"
Originally Posted by: Shinejunky Go to Quoted Post
I added two teaspoons of lemon juice to my water before cooking the corn it upped my potential by 2%. Using 7lbs corn to 3lbs of six row. I have not ran the wash yet but have started the sour mash working

Thanks ShineJunky - good tip - gonna try the lemon juice next time. Yea, I like the six row too. I usually do 6lb corn and 2lb barley."
#33 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 2:42:04 AM(UTC)

Thanks for those conversion tips folks.
#34 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:21:50 AM(UTC)

"Hey badbill..gives us the scoop on the nanner peels when you get time. Thanks.

Originally Posted by: badbill2 Go to Quoted Post
I think your right bigwheel. I wouldn't pay that much to get a conversion going. About 4- bannana peels should do the same thing.
"
Offline badbill2  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 4:34:25 AM(UTC)
badbill2

Nannars got sugar, nothing wrong with that but on a corn mash use a malt, but if you ain't happy with the malt or ain't got none, the ripe nannar peels provide (something I can't spell) and will act like a malt and do your conversion. I had so much good luck with them that I use about 4 or 6 peels even if I got malt.
#36 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:24:29 AM(UTC)

Well I got some malt but its the wrong kind kick kick. You just throw the peels in there like it was malt? Who eats all the nanners? You got a pet monkey or something..lol. Them things get me plugged up like an old widder lady. Refluxing a batch of cornmeal sugar wash today. Just chunked the fores and started the collection efforts. This is the batch of two which I locked down early because of the ants. The wash checker gizmo did not sink as deep as I like to see it. Hopefully get a coupla quarts out of it.
Offline badbill2  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:23:21 AM(UTC)
badbill2

"Yea, I had an uneventful morning. Just shut down and measured it up. Good Hootch, but only 1-1/2 Qts. (160, 140, 120) about a pt. ea.

Just throw them peels in the mash as soon as you add the corn while your cooking. If you don't eat the nananars throw them in too."
#38 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2012 7:14:09 AM(UTC)

Ok gotcha thanks. That refluxer running like a pot still today. I am getting into tails and aint been at it that long. Noticed the wash heated up about thirty mins quicker than normal on the hotplate. Have you seen any reports of Space Aliens operating in this quandrant? They like to pull tricks on us ya know?