logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline beerandbooze  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 07, 2012 4:39:08 AM(UTC)
beerandbooze

Groups: Registered

"I've read about using all of these. Flaked is the easiest, followed by cracked, and then whole kernel.

I'm a beer maker, and have a grain crusher (corona mill).

I look online and it's 52.99 plus shipping for flaked maize, and it's ~$12 for 50 lbs of cracked or whole kernel corn at my local feed store. Because of this I'm more inclined to give the feed store a go.

Malting corn, removing the endosperms, drying, then crushing sounds like a pain in the butt but I'll give it a go if I'm convinced it's worth it. If it isn't can I substitute cracked corn for the same volume of flaked corn in a recipe.

Basically I want to be convinced I shouldn't buy flaked maize/corn and should go with the local feed store. Thoughts? (fyi I know not to get corn coated in anything)"
Offline Mercerks  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:09:05 AM(UTC)
Mercerks

Im about to try whole corn for the first time. Only been using corn meal since its cheap and taught me how my still works. I'll let ya know what I find. Kinda a newbie myself.
Offline heeler  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:27:07 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Flaked will do anything most of us want. Why not just use the Tried and true recipes and once you've made em a few times you will be able to see the difference between them.
The feedstore cracked corn will do but is gonna have extra goodies like rocks and dirt and cob bits, none of that will kill your wash or even be noticed in your likker but it just the idea I guess.
The flaked you get from the brewshop will be clean and do all you expect. But again try em all and let us know what YOU find works best for you."
Offline Shinejunky  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2012 12:57:06 PM(UTC)
Shinejunky

The feed store stuff works for me but I do buy the 50 lb bags of 6 row malt for the conversion. Never tried the high dollar flaked corn. It might be the ticket for some good drink.
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2012 5:41:18 PM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

The flaked corn is pre-gelatinized but not malted. So the advantage it you don't have to cook it you just have to bring it up to mash temp and then add your malt of choice.
Easier to work with doesn't neccesarily mean any difference in end product. But i could see the time savings being worth the money for some people.

Flaked corn shouldn't be confused with corn flakes which contain malted barley. Too bad they weren't cheap.
Offline scotty  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2012 8:45:04 PM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: ohyeahyeah Go to Quoted Post
The flaked corn is pre-gelatinized but not malted. So the advantage it you don't have to cook it you just have to bring it up to mash temp and then add your malt of choice.
Easier to work with doesn't neccesarily mean any difference in end product. But i could see the time savings being worth the money for some people.

Flaked corn shouldn't be confused with corn flakes which contain malted barley. Too bad they weren't cheap.

I will second this post. In reading about converting corn to alcohol for fuel. The book says the whole corn must be steeped at 120 degrees for 48 hours to soften it enough to get at the starch for the conversion. So cracked needs to be softened too I would have to conclude.

The flaked has the starch READILY available for us and seems to be the best choice. JUST INFO THAT I HAVE READ:)"
Offline Shinejunky  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:22:06 PM(UTC)
Shinejunky

The cracked can be gelatinized after a boiling cook of two hours or better. Ive never used whole corn straight out of the bin. I do remember as a kid we had to soak the whole corn overnight before slopping the hogs. Good info to have if that's all that's available.( whole corn )
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2012 8:39:19 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

I used whole corn last time ground up in my blender and did not soak it. I ended up with a lower SG then expected so added sugar and did it as the classic corn/sugar shine recipe. Recovering the grain from the second ferment i tried chewing a little and noticed there is still some ungelled pieces. Next time i think i will bring it up to around mash temp and leave it for 24 hours. Then cook it and mash it.
Offline scotty  
#9 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2012 11:23:04 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
I used whole corn last time ground up in my blender and did not soak it. I ended up with a lower SG then expected so added sugar and did it as the classic corn/sugar shine recipe. Recovering the grain from the second ferment i tried chewing a little and noticed there is still some ungelled pieces. Next time i think i will bring it up to around mash temp and leave it for 24 hours. Then cook it and mash it.

What are you going to use for malt??:)"
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#10 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:00:40 PM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

On the all grain batch i used mostly 6 row with some "roasted malt grain" which looks like barley to me. The finished distillate tasted(to me) suspiciously like Makers 46.

Last time i used just 6 row but then changed it to a "popcorn sutton" style sour mash when i realized my corn hadnt cooked enough and i didn't make my expected sg. Next time i corn a "bourbon" mash i will do the mix again of 6 row and roasted. But i havent decided if i will do a bourbon next or maybe a mostly rye with 6 row malt. Got 70lbs of corn and 45lbs of rye sitting around...decisions...decisions.

How much do you guys all ferment at a time? I do 20 gals and seem to get 3-4 quarts of nice hearts from that.
Offline muadib2001  
#11 Posted : Thursday, May 31, 2012 1:23:34 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Next time i think i will bring it up to around mash temp and leave it for 24 hours. Then cook it and mash it.

What would pouring 3gal boiling water on 7lbs of cracked corn and left overnight do to the corn?
Offline Shinejunky  
#12 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2012 1:27:37 PM(UTC)
Shinejunky

"Dang I just typed the best answer on this question and my server booted me and lost it. any who to simplify my answer the grain taste better and it's tradition. And no steeping the corn does not work as well as cooking.

This is my opinion I just like to play with the recipes."
Offline muadib2001  
#13 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2012 1:20:06 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

I just put together a cracked corn recipe (sugarhead with boiled cracked corn).

7 lbs cracked corn, boiled (for too short a time, but I feared scorching the pot). Transferred to a bucket and capped it. I had to leave for about 3 hours for another obligation. When I got back, the stuff was really thick.

Boiled up some water & lemon juice and dropped it on 7 lbs of sugar in the fermenter, added some yeast nutrients, then put the boiled corn in the fermenter. Added some cold water to bring down the temp (still had to drop a milk jug filled with ice to bring it down some more).

I checked SG and it was ~1.0681 (I fear the starches in the corn may have interfered with the reading, but owell...).

Added some Beano, stirred, then pitched distillers yeast. Aerated for an hour. Foam cap had already formed. Capped the fermenter and retired for the night.

This morning, the heavenly aroma of bread filled the house. And it sounds like Rice Crispies in the fermenter.

Oh, and the Blichmann burner ROCKS! BigGrin
Offline Fusefinder  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:32:06 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"
Originally Posted by: muadib2001 Go to Quoted Post
I just put together a cracked corn recipe (sugarhead with boiled cracked corn).

7 lbs cracked corn, boiled (for too short a time, but I feared scorching the pot). Transferred to a bucket and capped it. I had to leave for about 3 hours for another obligation. When I got back, the stuff was really thick.

Boiled up some water & lemon juice and dropped it on 7 lbs of sugar in the fermenter, added some yeast nutrients, then put the boiled corn in the fermenter. Added some cold water to bring down the temp (still had to drop a milk jug filled with ice to bring it down some more).

I checked SG and it was ~1.0681 (I fear the starches in the corn may have interfered with the reading, but owell...).

Added some Beano, stirred, then pitched distillers yeast. Aerated for an hour. Foam cap had already formed. Capped the fermenter and retired for the night.

This morning, the heavenly aroma of bread filled the house. And it sounds like Rice Crispies in the fermenter.

Oh, and the Blichmann burner ROCKS! BigGrin

What was the final volume when capped.... 5 gallon bucket or larger? I have tried corn and sweet feed and it gets sooo thick...I just picked up a 7.9 gallon bucket today, I may try this again."
Offline muadib2001  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 5:51:14 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: Fusefinder Go to Quoted Post
What was the final volume when capped.... 5 gallon bucket or larger? I have tried corn and sweet feed and it gets sooo thick...I just picked up a 7.9 gallon bucket today, I may try this again.

It was about 8 gallons or more. But once the ferment ended, I scooped out the spent corn and was only left with ~4 gallons of liquid. Sad

If you can get some Beano, put it in the corn when the temp gets down to ~100 degrees (or Gluco-Amylase Enzyme [Amyloglucosidase] when the temp gets down to ~150 degrees). That will thin down the corn slurry in a hurry.

If it helps, you can use a Rubbermaid BRUTE 20 gallon trash barrel. They are food grade. I just put a light blue trash bag over the top for my cap. Poke a few holes so it can "breathe". Wink
Offline Fusefinder  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:08:45 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"
Originally Posted by: muadib2001 Go to Quoted Post
...Rubbermaid BRUTE 20 gallon trash barrel. They are food grade... Wink

Thanks for the info on the Rubbermaid, I also picked up the beano today.

I have a full bag of cracked corn I need to do something with...this looks like as good of idea as any!"
Offline muadib2001  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:28:05 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: Fusefinder Go to Quoted Post
I have a full bag of cracked corn I need to do something with...this looks like as good of idea as any!

Ditto on that. I still have 28 lbs of corn left myself. Might as well use that on up.
Offline muadib2001  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:31:25 AM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Now I aint never managed to get a SF wash thick. How do that happen?

Well, he DID say "sweed feel". You were using the wrong stuff! Tongue
Offline dieselduo  
#19 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 7:38:41 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Manuel Labor ? I thought he was the prime minister of economics in Mexico
Offline dieselduo  
#20 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:13:42 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
yeah his cousins were firefighters hose-a and hose-b