logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline dieselduo  
#21 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 10:55:10 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
why did the aggie cross the road lol
Offline dieselduo  
#22 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 11:56:57 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

to catch the short bus or his d**k got stuck in the chicken
Offline Fusefinder  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:21:24 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"Tried to do a more traditional mash today...didn't go so well. I scorched the corn early on (not good) went ahead and added the ground 2 row malted barley. Simmered or tried to for about an hour. Turned the heat off and covered to go outside and get a few things done.

I came back in the house smelled like burnt popcorn, (probably did before just didn't notice until nose cleared out)... the mix swelled filling the whole 5 gallon stock pot... stirred pulled up scorched burnt corn.

Tossed batch, soaking pot, and tomorrow will try the simple UJSM recipe...
I guess sometimes I just have to learn the hard way! LOL"
Offline muadib2001  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:39:59 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: Fusefinder Go to Quoted Post
I scorched the corn early on (not good) went ahead and added the ground 2 row malted barley. Simmered or tried to for about an hour. Turned the heat off and covered to go outside and get a few things done.

FF, sorry to hear it didn't go so well. How much corn, water and barley did you use for the 5 gallon batch? BW is right that the barley should only be added to the mix when it's down to 150°F. I put my Beano in when the temp drops to 100°F (body temperature, at least that's what it's designed to work at). Speaking of, Beano tablets dissolve really quickly in just a small glass of warm water!

My first batch was 7lbs corn in 3.5 gallons of water over a Blichmann propane burner, stirring all the time. My second batch was 8lbs corn in 4 gallons of water over the same burner, again stirring all the time. I think the stirring is most important at the first of the boil because 99% of the corn sinks to the bottom of the pot. Once it started releasing some of the starches (later on in the boil), I relaxed a little. Just a little.
Offline Fusefinder  
#25 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:21:52 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"I went too hot too quick on the corn and the bottom scorched and burnt. I thought I read once somewhere to keep the corn at around 175+/- for a while and add the barley at 150+/- and keep there for a bit.

I just started a UJSM batch, figured that would be a better start for a whiskey!

I do have a question though I'm thinking about running both sections of the PSII HC each having about 4 rolls of copper BUT NOT hooking up the column water lines. Will this help or hurt a whiskey run since I'm NOT RUNNING in reflux mode just a tall pot mode? Trying to keep favor as much as possible.
Thanks"
Offline Fusefinder  
#26 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2012 6:49:05 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

I have some rum thats been sitting for a while. I may try it with that first this weekend, will reply on how it goes.
Offline Fusefinder  
#27 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:51:48 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"I usually dilute to 80-100 proof...honestly depends on how the numbers look, taste, smell, and how the quarts fill. I let it breath with a coffee filter cover for about 5 days capping and shake the dickens out of it every couple of days. Filter it if I needs to but lately it hasn't... since I started separating in 1/2 pint increments.

Some I add Brewers Best beer flavoring, Raspberry or Peach. Depends what the mood is and how empty the cupboard is Sad"
Offline Fusefinder  
#28 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2012 7:55:02 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

I really don't enjoy it over 100 proof, cant sip it and if you have to dilute it with Coke or juice then why not cut it down to begin with...just my opinion though.
Offline heeler  
#29 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2012 10:22:06 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"fusefinder, you said you used Brewers Best flavoring..is that the little 4oz jugs? How did the flavors you used come out?RollEyes

Thats somethin I been wantin to do. It just seems so easy and no real aging involved. Of course I could just pour rasberry or peach juice in some white dawg and get the same effect I guess.

How was the end result for you and what proof was your finished product?Wink"
Offline muadib2001  
#30 Posted : Thursday, July 12, 2012 2:32:03 PM(UTC)
muadib2001

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
fusefinder, you said you used Brewers Best flavoring..is that the little 4oz jugs? How did the flavors you used come out?

I saw on their website they have banana flavoring. But they state that the 4oz bottle is good for 5 gallons of beer. Well, our use is a little different. I wonder what 2oz in a gallon of distillate would taste like? I love banana!

On a side note, what is the flavor of the candy known as "Circus Peanuts"? Banana!
Offline Fusefinder  
#31 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2012 3:32:29 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"I started out with 1 oz per quart, at 80-100 proof. My legal age Daughter said the peach was a strong alcohol smell/ taste followed by a peach explosion. Made very good fruity drinks that women love, until it taps them on the shoulder.
The second round I did 1/2 ounce per quart of 70 proof that was a lot more drinkable by itself or on the rocks. My local store has them for about $5.45 per 4 oz bottle pretty in expensive but up to your own personal taste on how much you add."
Offline Fusefinder  
#32 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2012 8:42:06 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

I have a few bottles myself...but seems to me better suited for at fall time. Seems to go down real easy and fast about then, especially sitting around a camp fire!
Offline Fusefinder  
#33 Posted : Friday, July 13, 2012 11:20:53 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

I took 2 gallons of Apple Pie to a Thanksgiving getaway in the smokies last year...I saw people drinking it by the glass that I never knew drank...everyone got along better than they ever have...right up until they got up the next day...hehehe
Offline Gravelier  
#34 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2013 9:35:45 AM(UTC)
Gravelier

"
Originally Posted by: Fusefinder Go to Quoted Post
I took 2 gallons of Apple Pie to a Thanksgiving getaway in the smokies last year...I saw people drinking it by the glass that I never knew drank...everyone got along better than they ever have...right up until they got up the next day...hehehe

Sorry to but in, but I have heard of this ""apple pie"". Would you be willing to share the recipe?

Thanks"
Offline dieselduo  
#35 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:07:54 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

1 gallon of apple juice

1 gallon of apple cider

2 1/2 cups of white sugar

4 cinnamon sticks

1 tsp vanilla
Steeping: combine all ingredients in pot, simmer on low heat until batch has lost 1/2 to ¾ it's starting volume and cool. Then add two quarts of good 'shine and mix.
Filtering: Strain out sediments/solids. Some people use cheesecloth or wash cloths in a strainer, but I think the easiest way is to simply put a coffee filter over your mason jars, screw on the ring, and pour it out.
Aging: This is simple, just let it sit. Sip occasionally to see when is the best time to 'harvest.' I'm partial to 4 months, but it's tough to wait that long.
Offline TwistedSteel  
#36 Posted : Saturday, April 20, 2013 3:13:50 PM(UTC)
TwistedSteel

"Here is an easier recipe that I get great reviews on:

1-can of frozen apple juice concentrate
1-cup brown sugar
2-cinnamon sticks

Bring to a boil until sugar melts, then cover and simmer for 60 minutes (this gets the oils out of the cinnamon sticks with no need to age), remove from heat, add 2-quarts of 120 proof shine, stir, pour over ice and enjoy.

Much simpler than a gallon of this and a gallon of that and your finished product stays around 90-100 proof.

Be warned that this goes down very easy, but will sucker punch you if your not careful!

I keep a bottle in the freezer all the time for company, it's awesome stuff.

Originally Posted by: dieselduo Go to Quoted Post
1 gallon of apple juice

1 gallon of apple cider

2 1/2 cups of white sugar

4 cinnamon sticks

1 tsp vanilla
Steeping: combine all ingredients in pot, simmer on low heat until batch has lost 1/2 to ¾ it's starting volume and cool. Then add two quarts of good 'shine and mix.
Filtering: Strain out sediments/solids. Some people use cheesecloth or wash cloths in a strainer, but I think the easiest way is to simply put a coffee filter over your mason jars, screw on the ring, and pour it out.
Aging: This is simple, just let it sit. Sip occasionally to see when is the best time to 'harvest.' I'm partial to 4 months, but it's tough to wait that long.
"