logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

5 Pages<12345>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline whaler  
#41 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2014 1:32:34 PM(UTC)
whaler

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the reply heeler. I drained the lees and put the rest in a couple buckets. I had more than enough to fill the buckets. If i thought I had enough time, Id run off another double batch before next weekend.
#42 Posted : Friday, April 04, 2014 7:56:49 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Originally Posted by: whaler Go to Quoted Post
Yea it's going pretty good I guess. It put on a big head the first day, about half the second day and has been peaches and minor bubbling on top since the 3rd day. I'm sure it's going, just not aggressive. If I was going to worry about anything, it would be the 10 gallons of dextrose next to it that has nothing g but water, dextrose and yeast. That one just does what it wants. I stir it every now and again to make sure but Saturday will be 2 weeks and I don't think I will ever run anything straight again. I like a healthy mash.

I built these tables for my conical. Put a sheet around both and put a vortex heater under there. It holds any temp you want real good. Put a blanket over the top of the tanks and it's on!

Wow. That sounds like a good watch, that documentary. I generally quit watching TV cause it ain't worth Hill of beans.

Yeah about all I watch anymore is NCIS, NCIS:LA (it comes on right after NCIS does). On occasion I'll catch a documentary or something that pertains to WWII or distilling. Other than that, I really don't watch much tv. I do like watching Robert Irvine on Restaurant Impossible, but it's getting to be repeative these days.

Originally Posted by: epicdoom Go to Quoted Post
I would assume they used a large amount of yeast to consume the sugars pretty fast, really though any amount of ABV can be distilled just wont be rocket fuel, but hell that's pretty hard to drink anyhow. Even if they were able to distill it to 50-70 proof that would do the trick and would certainly go down easier. As I understand it back then it wasn't very pleasing to drink other then the after effect. lol I personally can drink just about anything, especially once I'm feeling pretty good same thing with eating. true story I used to get drunk to eat dinner with my in-laws, Man alive that woman cant cook a lick, good thing I moved my wife into my parents house for the first 2 years of our marriage.

No not really. My late grandfather was a kid back during prohibition and he said it was the nastiest stuff he'd ever seen or tasted in his life. They didn't have turbo yeasts that are finished in 72 hours or less like they do today and alot of them didn't care what went into the mash either. From start to finish, it takes 3 days for the corn to be converted from starches into fermentable sugars and that includes soaking the corn. Alot of the moonshiners that are in it for the money know this and mark up the price quite a bit because they added corn to the mix. In my humble opinion, it's the wrong thing to do and it's dishonest from the word go because they truly don't break down their grains like they should. All you get out of the woods these days, is a poorly made sugar liquor that doesn't cost hardly anything to make and it's sold for a very high profit.

Well my peaches are done. took 7 days at 80 degrees. maybe a few degrees higher during the day. I dont have a SG meter but it taste really dry. No peach taste. Just dry non carbonated beer flavor. Only drag is, I planned to run them off next weekend. ugh. I gotta seal it up in food grade barrels and wait several days. I guess Im gonna find out how that works. RollEyes Should be no big deal. I wonder if this recipe is any close to the peach stuff they make in Washington at Mt. Vernon?

Looking forward to running this one.....

It's going to be a little bit on the dry side so don't be surprised if you have to add a little water to tone down the dryness and to bring out the flavor after distilling.

I dipped all the peaches off last night and it seems cloudy from the peaches. Milky white cloud mixed all in the peaches. I was going to drain the lees this morning, but I wanted to ask if it having a milky white cloudiness is normal.

Thanks!

That's normal. All you need to do is use a clearing agent which should help out alot.

Originally Posted by: heeler Go to Quoted Post
I bet that cloudy milky looking stuff is from the yeast carcasses, not the peaches, I know its all around them but nothing you can do about it really. Now if your gonna transfer it to something else thats fine, fill it really full so theres no air pocket even if you have to add a little water to get it full, no worries.

A good clearing agent will help, but I agree with adding a little water to the mixture before distilling. If you add a little bit of water to some of your aged whiskey, you can detect the flavors of your whiskey better. An englishman visiting the states told me to do that with some scotch and let me tell you, it made the world of a difference in flavor. It smoothed it out and you can taste the ingredients.
Offline whaler  
#43 Posted : Saturday, April 12, 2014 2:28:53 PM(UTC)
whaler

I ran my peaches off yesterday. Which was almost 2 weeks longer than I wanted to. Oh well....It started out at aout 105 proof and I stopped in the mid to low 60's. I would say the 105 is like peach lightning. Not a lot of peach flavor but you can tell its fruit renderings. Down somewhere around 80 to 70 its has a lot more flavor but more like what peaches smell like, as opposed to what they taste like, all though I can see where the bread yeast plays in and lends some flavor.

I think Im going to try this again and run it asap. I have some of the turbo yeast Rick offers for fruit on his brewhaus store site.... I might try some of that here soon too....

I have a bunch of dextrose....I was thinking of using that instead of the sugar this time but Im scared I might just make too much alcohol..... any thoughts?
#44 Posted : Sunday, April 13, 2014 4:43:51 PM(UTC)

I ran my peaches off yesterday. Which was almost 2 weeks longer than I wanted to. Oh well....It started out at aout 105 proof and I stopped in the mid to low 60's. I would say the 105 is like peach lightning. Not a lot of peach flavor but you can tell its fruit renderings. Down somewhere around 80 to 70 its has a lot more flavor but more like what peaches smell like, as opposed to what they taste like, all though I can see where the bread yeast plays in and lends some flavor.

I think Im going to try this again and run it asap. I have some of the turbo yeast Rick offers for fruit on his brewhaus store site.... I might try some of that here soon too....

I have a bunch of dextrose....I was thinking of using that instead of the sugar this time but Im scared I might just make too much alcohol..... any thoughts?

Dextrose will make it alot sweeter and it takes more of it as well (roughly around 3 to 6 pounds more). That turbo yeast that Rick has for fruit will be a good choice for breaking down the fruit. Next time run it a little sooner or you can stir it twice day for the first week to degas it and during the second week, once a day.
Offline heeler  
#45 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 2:26:43 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"

Hey Whaler, not sure too many complain about TOO MUCH alcohol, and as to the wait IMHO it's better to wait a little longer than to run it before it's done fermenting.

The low starting abv% means that your distillation device is not the best it can be, and by that I mean your still does not CONCENTRATE the ethanol as good as other type stills. In a still like that if you really pour the heat to it once your in the hearts portion of the run it can help pull or push over more of the flavor we are after. You are never gonna get that explosive fruit flavor from just a distillate, it just dosen't work that way, If you want more flavor and aroma you can add real fruit or a flavored essence.

Give that fruit turbo a try and let us know if it makes more fruit flavor in the final product.

The dextros will work just fine but it wont make it the greatest fruit flavor ever, afterall it's just making the alcohol portion to the product."
#46 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 7:20:36 AM(UTC)

Hey Whaler, not sure too many complain about TOO MUCH alcohol, and as to the wait IMHO it's better to wait a little longer than to run it before it's done fermenting.

The low starting abv% means that your distillation device is not the best it can be, and by that I mean your still does not CONCENTRATE the ethanol as good as other type stills. In a still like that if you really pour the heat to it once your in the hearts portion of the run it can help pull or push over more of the flavor we are after. You are never gonna get that explosive fruit flavor from just a distillate, it just dosen't work that way, If you want more flavor and aroma you can add real fruit or a flavored essence.

Give that fruit turbo a try and let us know if it makes more fruit flavor in the final product.

The dextros will work just fine but it wont make it the greatest fruit flavor ever, afterall it's just making the alcohol portion to the product.

The dextrose does do a good job and does a cleaner fermentation compared to good old table sugar, but I did find that it took nearly twice as much dextrose compared to table sugar and if used in the spirit after distilling and proofing, It was alot sweeter compared to the table sugar. It's almost as sweet as molasses.
Offline whaler  
#47 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 8:37:39 AM(UTC)
whaler

I would almost beg to differ with the overall flavor of the distillate using dextrose as the product that's creating the alcohol. Maybe I'll agree with you after the fact but every time I use dextrose, my product is smoother,it churns out more hooch than the same amount of sucrose and did I say it's smoother? It doesn't have that lightning bite. It doesn't have any bite. Idk........ I'll report back.
Offline heeler  
#48 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 9:20:36 AM(UTC)
heeler

"
I would almost beg to differ with the overall flavor of the distillate using dextrose as the product that's creating the alcohol. Maybe I'll agree with you after the fact but every time I use dextrose, my product is smoother,it churns out more hooch than the same amount of sucrose and did I say it's smoother? It doesn't have that lightning bite. It doesn't have any bite. Idk........ I'll report back.

Ahhh, well ok then, I'm always willing to learn something new....but remember...to compare apples to apples you must make the same recipe and distill it the same way and collect the same way...ya know what I mean??? the bite in most hooch is because we didn't make really tight cuts and some heads got in our finished product but let us know how it finishes. Thx."
Offline whaler  
#49 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 10:23:50 AM(UTC)
whaler

Ahhh well ok but if we are going to adhere to that, I need the same kind of still the the original recipe used and as best I could hope I would be in the ball park. I use an alembic. I'm just trying to make the stuff the way I like it. It's that's not good enough, idk what to tell ya.

I have never tasted sucrose likker that tasted anywhere near as good as dextrose. Maybe it's just me but I know I'm not alone in saying that. Sugar cane will never make as smooth a product or as much product from the same amount as corn sugar.
Offline whaler  
#50 Posted : Monday, April 14, 2014 10:42:57 AM(UTC)
whaler

Well.....it might take a little more dextrose to equal the sucrose but melting all the sucrose is impossible so its not in pounds but the point might as well be mute. I like dextrose. Fructose would probably be better to use in this recipes but now Im really splitting hairs since I introduce a third kind of sweetness to the conversation. No worries though .... Im easy....
#51 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:53:39 PM(UTC)

I didn't say I didn't like using it now, but it does take a little bit more of it. If you go back and look at my original post you'll find that I said that it was a much cleaner fermentation, and it was alot sweeter than the table sugar was after distilling and proofing. Dextrose is good if not the best to use but if you're on an extremely tight budget like most of us are, then we have to get what we can afford.

Ahhh, well ok then, I'm always willing to learn something new....but remember...to compare apples to apples you must make the same recipe and distill it the same way and collect the same way...ya know what I mean??? the bite in most hooch is because we didn't make really tight cuts and some heads got in our finished product but let us know how it finishes. Thx.

Exactly. The process is what determines how good your spirits will be. The only things you'll notice is that the mash/wash is alot cleaner after the fermentation is done and if you add a little bit of dextrose to your final product and did a side by side comparison to table sugar, you'll notice that it's much sweeter and I love the sweet stuff.

Ahhh well ok but if we are going to adhere to that, I need the same kind of still that the original recipe used and as best I could hope I would be in the ball park. I use an alembic. I'm just trying to make the stuff the way I like it. It's that's not good enough, idk what to tell ya. I have never tasted sucrose likker that tasted anywhere near as good as dextrose. Maybe it's just me but I know I'm not alone in saying that. Sugar cane will never make as smooth a product or as much product from the same amount as corn sugar.

Nope table sugar will not make anywhere as good of a spirit as corn sugar will because corn sugar is at least 10 times sweeter than regular table sugar is. It's also alot easier to use as well. What I did was put about 1 tablespoon of each into a pint jar containing some spirits from the same batch and did a side by side comparison. The dextrose won hands down and it was way sweeter.

Well.....it might take a little more dextrose to equal the sucrose but melting all the sucrose is impossible so its not in pounds but the point might as well be mute. I like dextrose. Fructose would probably be better to use in this recipes but now Im really splitting hairs since I introduce a third kind of sweetness to the conversation. No worries though .... Im easy....

No worries taken dude. I bet this peach recipie would be alot better with the dextrose. Fructose is basically a combination of both table sugar and corn sugar. High fructose corn syrup is what it's called and it's the main ingredient in alot of things. I'll have to try using that in wash here before long.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#52 Posted : Thursday, April 17, 2014 5:28:55 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"
Originally Posted by: knightmare1015 Go to Quoted Post
Nope table sugar will not make anywhere as good of a spirit as corn sugar will because corn sugar is at least 10 times sweeter than regular table sugar is. It's also alot easier to use as well. What I did was put about 1 tablespoon of each into a pint jar containing some spirits from the same batch and did a side by side comparison. The dextrose won hands down and it was way sweeter.

Nope. Corn sugar = dextrose = glucose ... and the relative sweetness of dextrose/corn sugar/glucose is only 74% that of sucrose. Fructose has the highest relative sweetness at 173% of sucrose.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]963[/ATTACH]

Fructose is basically a combination of both table sugar and corn sugar.

Nope. Fructose is a monosaccharide. Sucrose is the disaccharide ... a combination of fructose and glucose."
John Barleycorn attached the following image(s):
relative-sweetness-sm.png (31kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline whaler  
#53 Posted : Friday, April 18, 2014 10:05:48 AM(UTC)
whaler

Dextrose completely melts. Thats what it has over sucrose. It has a candy sweetness to it when used to equal sweetness of sucrose. You would have to use just over 14 lbs. of dextrose to 10 lbs of sucrose for equal sweetness. If you want the exact sucrose to dextrose ratio, multiply the amount of sugar a recipe calls for by 0.2, that will tell you how much dextrose to use. Dont even get me started on fructose. I wanted to ask if anybody have bought up a 50lb bag of that stuff and fermented it up but, after searching a little I got the idea, thats too expensive for anyones taste. Im not anyone. I might just do that here soon.

I ran off my peaches already. It was turbo yeast if anyone wonders. Took 3 days to completely eat all the sugar and a day to settle. I broke the recipe by using only 10 lbs of dextrose instead of the 14 in hopes the peachs would kinda over power the whiskey. Everything else I did the same except for the raisins cause I used turbo yeast. That stuff comes with enough nutrient on its own. my run started at 140 proof and wow is it ever peachy. I ran it down to 65 proof. The heads are super peachy. The hearts are yummy peachy and the tails are uh.. smelly....somewhat peachy. Worked just like I thought. Next time Ill add more dextrose and more peaches. Good gulping stuff but Im gonna age it some. Bump.

Til next time. -Whaler
Offline heeler  
#54 Posted : Saturday, April 19, 2014 11:24:24 PM(UTC)
heeler

"whaler, can you give me some details of your run??

How big was your wash? 5 or 10 gallons, I'm sure you said I just dont remember.

What kind of tower did you use?

How hard did you push it? How fast did you collect I mean?

How did you collect? In what size jug I mean?

And how much finished product did you get from your distillation?

Or would you just rather start another thread, if it turned out to be a great success I think maybe you should so the recipe will be here for others like me to enjoy also.
Thanks"
Offline whaler  
#55 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2014 7:56:11 AM(UTC)
whaler

Sure Heeler! I like sharing. It gets us all there quicker and easier.

It was a ten gallon mash. But since I.do.all.my fermenting in conical's, it was actually 11 cause I loose a couple quarts or whatever to draining the lee's.

I think I mentioned it before but I use a 10 gallon alembic still but I'm just playing around. I want to build a valued reflux this summer. That seems like fun to build and run.

Whenever I run fruit, it starts above 180. Idk, I think it started dropping fresh m the till at 185 and I tried to run it above 190 to get the flavor over into it, as had been mentioned here previously.

I collected in 8oz half pint jars. A buttload of them. I suppose that's what's drills me when someone says "you didn't make good cuts". Huh. I like good cuts. I like to be able to distinctly tell where stuff starts and stops. That's how ya find the good likker in the bunch.

I collect right about 2 gallons but only 3/4 of a gallon was what I consider to be yummy peachy hooch. Mind you, I coulda put more of them lil jars into my final jugs but I like them guuuud. The smelly jars I can tolerate I drink right from the cut jars.

I'm.sure I would have gotten a lot more out of my run had I not come home in the middle of the day from work and started my run when.I had other responsibilities. LOL

I'll post the recipe in another thread cause it is a dextrose recipe but it's generally the same recipe as the op posted but I used dextrose and brewhaus turbo fruit yeast.

I just took the op's words literally when he said he over ran the peaches before and could taste nothing but peaches........I was like hey.....get a little likker back with that and I'll be happy hahahaha
Offline heeler  
#56 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2014 12:59:44 PM(UTC)
heeler

"Ahhh ok 10 gallons...

so after cuts I would have gotten prolly a gallon of hearts too.

when I run fruit it starts at 180???? I thk you mean temp and the extra heat will bring over more flavor.

and I agree that you should collect in a butt load of jars, now then if you combine those jars and pour the heads right back into the hearts well you could get smearing ya know, if it's cloudy then most times it's tails and a newbie will say what the hell happened......I collected in lots of little jars. All we can do is try to help.

I dont think you should have gotten a whole lot more hearts from 10 gallons, in my opinion a gallon and just a little more is prolly the best of the best so score..

what does this mean -----he over ran the peaches before he could taste nothing but peaches????

Anyway thanks for the reply"
Offline whaler  
#57 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2014 2:01:00 PM(UTC)
whaler

Yep Heeler. I meant 180 degrees. It's still running a little hotter than that before it starts actually. Then I ran it a little higher than that leech flavor. I think the key was more peaches less sugar tho..... If you like flavor,don't kill it with likker.

I haven't had the heart to cut them in together in one jug. I been slugging on them and now I don't think any of them are going to aged cause this is far and away the best and smoothest likker I ever made. Kinda breaks my heart cause I wanna age some but cranking out a gallon of decent hearts on a 10 gallon run is almost going backwards. I'd have to do a run every week. Oh well. It's fun. Idk what to do with the tails other than run them with some other peach tails and clean up some clear stuff....

In post #12 the op stated "Basically I did use too many peaches once and that's all I could taste for days. The fruit will eventually overpower the taste of the alcohol, but you don't want that right out of the still either."

That's what I meant. If there is a point where the fruit takes over, I want to know that point and manipulate it. Now I really want to double the fruit and the dextrose in the same recipe and see if I come out with more likker with the same peach flavor. I added some water to my last little jar and POW! more peach flavor came out and it got completely smooth like it was peach water. I am very impressed.

I'll post my recipe when I get time.....I am way busy lately. Spring is my time :)
#58 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2014 6:17:36 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
Nope. Corn sugar = dextrose = glucose ... and the relative sweetness of dextrose/corn sugar/glucose is only 74% that of sucrose. Fructose has the highest relative sweetness at 173% of sucrose.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]963[/ATTACH]

Let me get this straight, you're trying to tell me how something tasted in my own mouth that I made?! Don't come in here and try to tell me how something I made tastes. Especially if you've never drank what I made.

Dextrose completely melts. Thats what it has over sucrose. It has a candy sweetness to it when used to equal sweetness of sucrose. You would have to use just over 14 lbs. of dextrose to 10 lbs of sucrose for equal sweetness. If you want the exact sucrose to dextrose ratio, multiply the amount of sugar a recipe calls for by 0.2, that will tell you how much dextrose to use. Dont even get me started on fructose. I wanted to ask if anybody have bought up a 50lb bag of that stuff and fermented it up but, after searching a little I got the idea, thats too expensive for anyones taste. Im not anyone. I might just do that here soon. I ran off my peaches already. It was turbo yeast if anyone wonders. Took 3 days to completely eat all the sugar and a day to settle. I broke the recipe by using only 10 lbs of dextrose instead of the 14 in hopes the peachs would kinda over power the whiskey. Everything else I did the same except for the raisins cause I used turbo yeast. That stuff comes with enough nutrient on its own. my run started at 140 proof and wow is it ever peachy. I ran it down to 65 proof. The heads are super peachy. The hearts are yummy peachy and the tails are uh.. smelly....somewhat peachy. Worked just like I thought. Next time Ill add more dextrose and more peaches. Good gulping stuff but Im gonna age it some. Bump.

Til next time. -Whaler

Yeah the dextrose version was alot smoother and much easier to drink compared to the table sugar version of what I made before which was a bit on the harsher side. I can't belive John Barleycorn came in here and tried to tell me how what I made tastes when he's never drank any of my spirits. But anyhow glad you enjoyed my peach recipie. Now I do have a suggestion for aging. Try to find some oak cubes for aging wine (red color type of finish finish). It will make your finished product even better.
Offline John Barleycorn  
#59 Posted : Sunday, April 20, 2014 10:07:45 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I can't belive John Barleycorn came in here and tried to tell me how what I made tastes when he's never drank any of my spirits.

Nope. Not trying to tell you anything, knightmare. Just trying to present facts to others who might read this thread and believe what is wrong. You made two assertions:

Quote:
corn sugar is at least 10 times sweeter than regular table sugar is

Quote:
Fructose is basically a combination of both table sugar and corn sugar.

Neither of these statements is correct. That's all.
#60 Posted : Monday, April 21, 2014 4:10:26 PM(UTC)

^ I added him to the ignore list also ladies and gentlemen. Anyone that tries to tell me how something that I made tastes in my own mouth is just trying to start trouble. That and he's never drank what I've made either and he never will. My taste buds pretty much said that dextrose was alot sweeter than sucrose is especially in that paticular batch.