logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

5 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline epicdoom  
#21 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 2:44:34 PM(UTC)
epicdoom

Groups: Registered

Yea I never use that many I just buy the big cans use enough for my run make syrup as well as consume them peach's have always been a favorite fruit even broke my arm trying to climb a neighbors tree to get one when I was a kid LOL. For a 5 gal run I use 3.5 - 5 lbs of peaches just depends on if I need syrup or not. The syrup is great in Iced tea for sweetness and flavor
Offline whaler  
#22 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 3:47:13 PM(UTC)
whaler

Hmmmm I'm just guessing that you are definitely not from Texas Epicdoom. If you were from Texas you surely would have told us and you definitely would know better that to go messing with the tea.

I'm not saying all that you said was plain english but I definitely heard you messing with the tea.

BUMP. My cans are 6.10lbs..... X3 cans is somewhere around 20lbs.i might gobble a few.... These are cling peaches so they should make that real down south peach taste.
Offline whaler  
#23 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 3:48:51 PM(UTC)
whaler

And don't get me to lying.... I'm far enuff South that I can see the pickers LOL
#24 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 3:50:50 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

"
Originally Posted by: epicdoom Go to Quoted Post
Yea I never use that many I just buy the big cans use enough for my run make syrup as well as consume them peach's have always been a favorite fruit even broke my arm trying to climb a neighbors tree to get one when I was a kid LOL. For a 5 gal run I use 3.5 - 5 lbs of peaches just depends on if I need syrup or not. The syrup is great for peach pie shine and its great in Iced tea for sweetness and flavor, and sometimes I just ferment the syrup basically a flavored sugar shine wash.

Oh yeah I love the canned peaches in heavy syrup. My neighbor has a peach tree and alot of them went bad last year due to the gnats. We couldn't get to them in time and they rotted pretty quickly. You could just walk back there near the tree and get a huge peach bomb under your nose. 2 standard vegetable cans is perfect for a 2 gallon batch, 4 standard vegetable cans for a 5 gallon batch."
Offline whaler  
#25 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 4:02:04 PM(UTC)
whaler

Alright. Stop the presses. Could you do this recipe with per say a can of mixed fruit? Or would we be be delving into a region of just general fruit flavor or maybe even GASP! fruit crash. I would think certain types of fruit would ferment differently and possibly cause the yeast to crash...... Maybe I done slugged a little too deep on the store bought crappa tonight but has anyone tried this??
#26 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 4:44:18 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: whaler Go to Quoted Post
Alright. Stop the presses. Could you do this recipe with per say a can of mixed fruit? Or would we be be delving into a region of just general fruit flavor or maybe even GASP! fruit crash. I would think certain types of fruit would ferment differently and possibly cause the yeast to crash...... Maybe I done slugged a little too deep on the store bought crappa tonight but has anyone tried this??

Actually you can and no the yeast won't crash. It makes a great fruit punch based mash. Just be sure to drop the citric acid from the recipie because the mixed fruit contains alot of citric acid based fruits such as pineapple.
Offline whaler  
#27 Posted : Friday, March 14, 2014 5:14:07 PM(UTC)
whaler

Well that's good to know.... I guess if I did pineapples, I would leave out the raisins? Huh. What a predicament.
Offline RCRed  
#28 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 1:38:09 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Whaler -- you know all the tea in Texas is a sweet tea Wink

A few of the local's here make batches of peach dawg every year in peach season here. I have been following this recipe as well as one at AD and was thinking about it when the fresh peaches come in season - just a scant time way now...
Offline whaler  
#29 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 9:09:53 AM(UTC)
whaler

Peach dawg?!? You even lost my ol' lady on that one! haw haw! Idk I'm just messing around cause drinking gasoline gets old after a while. Who knows, next I might try to figure out the raspberry divide. RollEyes
Offline RCRed  
#30 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 9:51:22 AM(UTC)
RCRed

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
"Peach Dawg" - that's just what this old timer called peach whiskey here... He means a batch of Peach Shine :)
#31 Posted : Saturday, March 15, 2014 5:31:55 PM(UTC)

Well that's good to know.... I guess if I did pineapples, I would leave out the raisins? Huh. What a predicament.

Actually no. If you go back and look at the recipie that I posted, it called for an additional amount of citric acid on top of what's in the rasins. If you're doing a mixed fruit version of this, you don't have to add the additional citric acid the original recipie called for.

Originally Posted by: RCRed Go to Quoted Post
"Peach Dawg" - that's just what this old timer called peach whiskey here... He means a batch of Peach Shine :)

I've not heard it called that in a really long, long time.Wink
Offline whaler  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, March 25, 2014 2:42:06 PM(UTC)
whaler

I started a double batch this past Saturday. I had to admit that 2 cups of bakers yeast in anything less than a cake. I couldnt find anything on the shelves of my stores, in cake, that wasn't turbo yeast. Eh....4 yars of red star got it there.... 12 bux worth of lees :/

The first day or 2 it made a big foamy head and since then it settled and is slightly foamy with all the peaches on top..... I'm thinking the next time I do this, Im going to use apricots. I like those somewhat more better Tongue

I'm only 3 days going into 4 and its not foaming hard, so we'll see how long it goes but I ferment at 80-85 degrees. Might not take long. I'll post what I come back with. Id post pics but obviously my phones pics are way too big....
#33 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:32:01 AM(UTC)

I started a double batch this past Saturday. I had to admit that 2 cups of bakers yeast in anything less than a cake. I couldnt find anything on the shelves of my stores, in cake, that wasn't turbo yeast. Eh....4 yars of red star got it there.... 12 bux worth of lees :/

The first day or 2 it made a big foamy head and since then it settled and is slightly foamy with all the peaches on top..... I'm thinking the next time I do this, Im going to use apricots. I like those somewhat more better Tongue

I'm only 3 days going into 4 and its not foaming hard, so we'll see how long it goes but I ferment at 80-85 degrees. Might not take long. I'll post what I come back with. Id post pics but obviously my phones pics are way too big....

It should be good to distill in about a week (7 days) . It'll foam up quite a bit then settle down and fizz like an alka-seltzer tablet does. So you might have to add a de-foaming agent.
Offline epicdoom  
#34 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 3:04:01 PM(UTC)
epicdoom

sounds like you got it going good mine foams hard for a few days then settles down. I like to stir the top to the bottom when this happens gets it moving a bit more vigorously for a day, then I stir it down again in a weeks time. I'm forced to ferment slooowly wife's no higher then 70*F heating rule not mine. I rarely ferment anything in the winter because of it.
#35 Posted : Wednesday, March 26, 2014 4:50:02 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: epicdoom Go to Quoted Post
sounds like you got it going good mine foams hard for a few days then settles down. I like to stir the top to the bottom when this happens gets it moving a bit more vigorously for a day, then I stir it down again in a weeks time. I'm forced to ferment slooowly wife's no higher then 70*F heating rule not mine. I rarely ferment anything in the winter because of it.

I hear you on the 70 degree heating rule. It sucks when it comes to fermentation. Baker's yeast seems to do that. I watched a documentary on illegal alcohol earlier this week and some people during prohibition distilled their mash after 3 days when the heavy foaming stopped. It was a pretty neat documentary.
Offline whaler  
#36 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 1:31:26 AM(UTC)
whaler

Yea it's going pretty good I guess. It put on a big head the first day, about half the second day and has been peaches and minor bubbling on top since the 3rd day. I'm sure it's going, just not aggressive. If I was going to worry about anything, it would be the 10 gallons of dextrose next to it that has nothing g but water, dextrose and yeast. That one just does what it wants. I stir it every now and again to make sure but Saturday will be 2 weeks and I don't think I will ever run anything straight again. I like a healthy mash.

I built these tables for my conical. Put a sheet around both and put a vortex heater under there. It holds any temp you want real good. Put a blanket over the top of the tanks and it's on!

Wow. That sounds like a good watch, that documentary. I generally quit watching TV cause it ain't worth Hill of beans.
Offline epicdoom  
#37 Posted : Thursday, March 27, 2014 7:49:07 AM(UTC)
epicdoom

I would assume they used a large amount of yeast to consume the sugars pretty fast, really though any amount of ABV can be distilled just wont be rocket fuel, but hell that's pretty hard to drink anyhow. Even if they were able to distill it to 50-70 proof that would do the trick and would certainly go down easier. As I understand it back then it wasn't very pleasing to drink other then the after effect. lol I personally can drink just about anything, especially once I'm feeling pretty good same thing with eating. true story I used to get drunk to eat dinner with my in-laws, Man alive that woman cant cook a lick, good thing I moved my wife into my parents house for the first 2 years of our marriage.
Offline whaler  
#38 Posted : Saturday, March 29, 2014 3:14:28 PM(UTC)
whaler

Well my peaches are done. took 7 days at 80 degrees. maybe a few degrees higher during the day. I dont have a SG meter but it taste really dry. No peach taste. Just dry non carbonated beer flavor. Only drag is, I planned to run them off next weekend. ugh. I gotta seal it up in food grade barrels and wait several days. I guess Im gonna find out how that works. RollEyes Should be no big deal. I wonder if this recipe is any close to the peach stuff they make in Washington at Mt. Vernon?

Looking forward to running this one.....
Offline whaler  
#39 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2014 2:07:55 AM(UTC)
whaler

I dipped all the peaches off last night and it seems cloudy from the peaches. Milky white cloud mixed all in the peaches. I was going to drain the lees this morning, but I wanted to ask if it having a milky white cloudiness is normal.

Thanks!
Offline heeler  
#40 Posted : Sunday, March 30, 2014 4:29:55 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
I bet that cloudy milky looking stuff is from the yeast carcasses, not the peaches, I know its all around them but nothing you can do about it really. Now if your gonna transfer it to something else thats fine, fill it really full so theres no air pocket even if you have to add a little water to get it full, no worries.