logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

6 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline kc-fan  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 5:42:27 AM(UTC)
kc-fan

Groups: Registered

Does anyone have a good sweet feed recipe for Whiskey? There is one posted on the net - but it calls for 5gallon bucket of sweet feed. Doesn't seam to be room for much else - or is this for a larger batch?
Offline mtnwalker2  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 6:01:07 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: kc-fan Go to Quoted Post
Does anyone have a good sweet feed recipe for Whiskey? There is one posted on the net - but it calls for 5gallon bucket of sweet feed. Doesn't seam to be room for much else - or is this for a larger batch?

I would forget the sweet feed. All that I have bought for my animals contains powdered mollasses, bacteria and mold inhibiters and other addatives you might not want.

Do a search in recipe section or google: UJSM (Uncle Jessie sour mash) a corn sour mash recipe, and also DWWG death wish wheat germ.

Both are easy and make good drinking whiskey."
Offline Bamadan  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 23, 2009 2:38:56 PM(UTC)
Bamadan

I ran a sweet feed recipe once. You only need about 1/4 5 gallon bucket of sweet feed. But you are wasting your time. Very difficult to strain before loading. Very, very messy. Never ran again.ê╚ê
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:30:01 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"Horse feed--the cheapest is good. The 5 gallon bucket recipe is good but it is just written incorrectly.

5 gallons water but in the bottom of the bucket just put about 4 inches of the feed. My buddy paul uses horse feed because horses are extremely sensative animals and horse feed is safe.

He mashes the feed rather than just let it sit in the buckes as that recipe calls for.
He has been doing it for years. Ive been researchubg horse feed and dont find any embalming stuff in it--6.50 for unfortified feed and 10.50 for fortified feed--We dont need fortified feed. Soonas i run my irish whiskey, im going to get a 50 pound bag of horse feed

I use a grain bag when i mash."
Offline Ozark  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:46:42 AM(UTC)
Ozark

"Yep Scotty Sweet Horse feed mash is my favorite.
about 4 inches in the 5 gallon bucket is right more can be better but not much more.
The feed I buy is made locally in Mo.
Mostly corn oats barley and molasses.
I use Liquor Quik Superyeast X-press
definitely a good strainer is needed so the feed doesn't enter the pot or you risk a scorch taste from grains sitting on the pot floor.
Again cheap, good taste, jug"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:07:13 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Hey, Scottie and Ozark,

I love the smell of the stuff, and have fed it to my milk cows, horses and deer. So am curious.

How do you mash it? How long a boil, do you add acid, mash with malted barley, add sugar? Whats the OSG reading for your ferment. What kind of yield do you get for the hearts?

Or are you doing an uncooked wash with added sugar like the UJSM method?"
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:20:53 AM(UTC)
scotty

"ozark does it all the time

I will do it in a few weeks. I plan to use 2 pounds per gallon and mash at 165 degrees for 90 minutes-- i will not add sugar this first run but i expect the P.A, to be around 7%.. Then i will ferment wit ec1118 till dry- I will make a pot still run and maybe a second run-I'm not sure. Ill have to chat with Ozark about that."
Offline Ozark  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:43:14 AM(UTC)
Ozark

"Measure your sweet feed
transfer to a SS pot add 3 gallons of fresh water bring to 160-170 temp for 45-60 minutes
transfer to 6 gallon fermenter let cool to 80-90
fill fermenter to 5 gallon level with lukewarm fresh water
add yeast give it a fair stir
keep room temps at near 70
cover or use an air lock but watch for air lock blockage regularly
5-7 days strain well
add to the pot

I like the horse feed best as it has no additives for this recipe, some feeds do contain Medication you don't want so check the ingredients label

I've got a link to a similar recipe if you want but sugar is added.

I make for taste not volume or high proof.

Just an old mans drink ya know"
Offline mtnwalker2  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:16:02 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"Ozark, I definately agree with going for flavor.

However, I am still confused on several points. First, you are not gelatinizing the starches, particularly in the corn. Then, are you adding enzymes, like malted barley at the 160° temp. range to convert the starch to sugars?

But then again, if you are haveing it custom made, perhaps you have a heck of a lot of mollasses added? What I get in bags here doesn't.

Even so, seems like it would be very hard to exceed 2% ABV for the ferment?

Agreed, that would give super flavor, just not much yield for all the work.

Please advise."
Offline Ozark  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 28, 2009 12:33:31 PM(UTC)
Ozark

"Well its not a custom blend but locally ground mix and yes im guessing a healthy portion of molasses.
Corn is broken, oats are rolled as is the barely
Molasses is most likely more of a beet sugar I guess.
On that run I yield a pint maybe just more
Ya all talk avb and avg heck I don't know
I just go by sight and smell
just me bein me ya know"
Offline scotty  
#11 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2009 12:13:36 PM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: Ozark Go to Quoted Post
Well its not a custom blend but locally ground mix and yes im guessing a healthy portion of molasses.
Corn is broken, oats are rolled as is the barely
Molasses is most likely more of a beet sugar I guess.
On that run I yield a pint maybe just more
Ya all talk avb and avg heck I don't know
I just go by sight and smell
just me bein me ya know

When i try the horse feed ill go by the book-- but paul has been doing it his way and quite succesfully for some time now. he is not trying to squeak every drop of alcohol out of the grains. ill do that when i make my mash then paul and i will have something to yack about"
Offline turkeycrusher  
#12 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:50:02 AM(UTC)
turkeycrusher

4 Inches in a five gallon bucket of sweet feed and 5 pounds of sugar, add boiling water about half full let stand 1 hour or so until cooled to 90 degrees add turbo yeast 5-7 days strain well and run, really good stuff
Offline LWTCS  
#13 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2010 12:22:00 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Don't understand the need for turbo with grain.

.............Don't understand the need for turbo.

Try that recipe with bakers yeast (or the like) and I recon you'll like it more (or not)."
Offline Yukon  
#14 Posted : Sunday, June 13, 2010 2:04:24 AM(UTC)
Yukon

"1. Put 3.5 gallons of sweetfeed in your fermenter barrel.

2. Put in 15 pounds of pure cane suger.

3. Add 6.5 gals of boiling water and stir till suger is all dissolved! ok now let set for 1.5 to 2 hours to cool.

4. Add 6.5 gals of cold water you want the temp back down to about 80 degs stir it around a little.

5. Sprinkle on top two packs of PRESTIGE WD And let set for 15 minutes then mix in slowly, Put lid on fermenter ""loose"" so it can breathe a little no air lock needed

6. 4 to 5 days later run it off.

try if you want and good luck!"
Offline heeler  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:39:15 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"I was a big believer in turbos --until-- I went with bakers yeast. It really does have a diff and better flavor. I know turbos have all the nutrients and thats all well and good but you can buy a jug of nutrients of you must have em. And I know you get more and higher proof hooch, but it suffers the off flavors. I guess with sugar washes a turbo would be fine but with grains - its something worth trying.
Bakers will be done in 5-8 days but Turbos will take 2 weeks and some to finish and clear. to each his own."
Offline heeler  
#16 Posted : Thursday, July 01, 2010 6:23:50 AM(UTC)
heeler

"OK ---- with the sweetfeed recipe, I just finished my second generation and the third is now fermenting. I don't think I got THAT much flavor, I am running a gooseneck tower w/ thumper. In the second wash I put 1.5 gallons of backset and started the next wash. I added all but 1 pint of the distillate from the first run back to the next run in the boiler. So after the second run I took 1.5 gallons of backset and added to the next wash.(3rd wash)
So from the first run I kept 1 pint of hearts and added all the rest back to next run.
Second run added wash and all distillate from previous.
Second run kept 1 pint of hearts and took 1.5 gallons of backset for the next wash.
Not earth shaking like I've had read but TIME might be the answer. Oaking 2 pints now with one more wash to run. Hoping for the best."
Offline heeler  
#17 Posted : Sunday, July 04, 2010 2:24:21 AM(UTC)
heeler

Ok finally got the last wash ran. (3rd generation) I did get some flavor carryover - smelled pretty good. The final quantity was almost 2 qt.s for ageing and 1 qt of feints. I cut the hearts to 60%, carbon filtered, covered with a cloth to air out for at least 3 days and then I will add oak and maybe a clove or two. It does have a pretty nice aroma and whilst it was coming off it did seem ok. Only time will tell. I can definatley see the need for adding backset to the next wash as a flavor enhancer. With this amount of whiskey sitting around , wont have to do this again for awhile.
Offline scotty  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, May 17, 2011 9:09:48 AM(UTC)
scotty

"Finally after some health problems i got back to the feed store. A 50 pound bag of horse feed is about $7.50 now.
I may try and mash with it. Its not malted and im wondering if i should crush the grains.
i really need to get to it as soon as we finish our custom grain bag.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage"
Offline cradyl  
#19 Posted : Sunday, June 12, 2011 6:41:52 AM(UTC)
cradyl

hello i'm new to this...i made my first batch of rum last week...now i'm looking for a simple recipe for whiskey.can anyone help me.
Offline murphy  
#20 Posted : Saturday, August 27, 2011 8:52:41 AM(UTC)
murphy

I highly recommend the sweet feed version over all others. folks who have tasted this whiskey,rave about it. a 50 pound bag will run about 13.00 which is many gallons of finished product. first,order a good WHISKY turbo yeast. next, put 4 inches of the feed into a clean 5 gallon bucket. pour 3 gallons of warm water over the mix and let stand overnight. the next day strain off the liquid into another clean bucket,leaving ALL the grains and solids behind. now, using large grain bags, scoop out all the solids into roughly 4 large bags. in 2 more gallons of water,steep all these bags of grain. temp should be between 150-170 degrees for about a half hour to extract the sugars from the grains and corn and all the other solids. let the mix cool,and when room temp. add this to the first bucket of liquid. now there is some opinions about wheather to add sugar now or later. my personal experence says go ahead and add 17.5 pounds of white cane sugar to this mix stirring until all sugar is dissolved. let this mixture sit until your tubo yeast arrives. add the turbo yeast and bring the water level up to within a couple of inches from the top of the bucket. I personally don't use the 3-piece air-lock but I use a hose fitted to the bucket lid running into a gallon jug with about 2 inches of water in the jug. fermentation is going to be VIOLENT and the bubbler just will not work that well. let ferment for the full two days per yeast instructions.this should yeald 15-20% alcohol. strain off into your distiller leaving behind any lees in the bottom of the bucket. this should do it. for the very best results save all the finished alcohol and distill this again. this will make a good whiskey. I triple distill mine and cut the finished product with filtered water to produce 150 proof. this recipe works very well....good luck!!