logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

6 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Raze  
#21 Posted : Friday, November 18, 2011 12:06:59 PM(UTC)
Raze

Groups: Registered

Grain Bags?
Offline murphy  
#22 Posted : Sunday, November 27, 2011 7:41:10 AM(UTC)
murphy

Sorry it took so long to respond..If you haven't found your answer yet, grain bags are used in the making of beer to steep the grains in so you don"t have a bunch of loose grains in the bottom of the cooking pot. You can get them from most wine and beer making shops. My favorite place to shop is William's brewing supplies. thanks for your question.
Offline Fusefinder  
#23 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 6:26:09 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"I tried the recipe below and must have done something terribly wrong! My wife hated the smell while it fermented, in the basement. She said it smelled like puke fermenting, distilling, and after aging. Any ideas on what was wrong with the recipe?
First off for me the feed had to be split between two 5 gallon buckets , the other ingredients were as listed below per 5 gallon bucket added more surgar though.

This is for 5 gallons of Sweet Whisky Mash.

Ingredients Needed:
10 # Sweet Horse Feed (NON Medicated!) Available at Tractor Farm Supply or your local Grain Elevator.
5 # Pure Cane Sugar (NOT Beat Sugar).
1 # lbs. Mated Barley
2 Packs Fleishman"s or Red Start Backers Yeast.
1/4 # Toasted American White Oak Sticks.

Mix Mated barley with the Sweet Feed mix in 20qt pot and then cover with water. Let soak until grains are getting soft.

Run grain through a blender make sure you have enough water to make a cream corn consistency. To little water and the mixture will not blend.

Put on stove and heat to 165 degrees for 20 min. Add water as necessary to keep a thick soup consistency. Stir constantly. Do not let bottom burn or scorch. Let cool to room temperature. Add 5 # of Cain sugar. Make sure sugar is dissolved in mixture.

Proof Yeast, In 8qt bowl add 2 Tbsp. of sugar to 1pt of warm water about 85 to 90 degrees. Mix and dissolve sugar. Sprinkle yeast over top and let stand in warm place out of sunlight for 20 min. If yeast rises, bubbles and foams it is ready. If not Try new yeast and repeat this process.

Put mixture in fermenter and pitch proofed yeast. Attach your air lock. A bubbler bottle is not required for this ferment. Place fermenter in warm place 72 to 80 degrees. Let ferment for 4 to 5 days or done bubbling completely. Strain through Nylons (panty hose).

Place strained mash in your distillation boiler and distill. After distillation is complete Carbon Filter desolate.
Place in 1qt mason jars with 3 sticks of Toasted American Oak Sticks, Put in freezer over night and then place in warm area during the day. We recommend doing this 3 days or until desired color is achieved. Remove Oak Sticks and filter through coffee filter to remove any particles. Cut to desired potency with distilled water. We like to use 1/3 water to cut."
Offline heeler  
#24 Posted : Monday, April 02, 2012 12:36:54 PM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Fusefinder..you kinda made that recipe hard on your self. You did'nt really stick to the recipe but I 'm not saying its wrong just different. 10lbs of sweetfeed does sound like alot for this but I dont really know how much 4 inches of sweetfeed weighs. Oh and I too have had them that smelled like puke.
A sweetfeed hooch is really a sugar head likker with the feed to give a mollasses flavor to the finished product. It really is simpler than what you described. Dont know if you are familiar with Homedistillers website but go there and look under the tried and true recipes also I think on this site you can find that recipe somewhere. I know you asked if you should rerun it and I would try too. Try this recipe next time.
4 inches of feed in bucket
5 lbs of sugar melted in 2 or 3 gallons of really hot water
a squirt of lemon juice and 3 beannos in the sugar water
a spoonfull of epsom salt added to the water
pour the water on the feed after everything is melted and givera good stir
top off with cool water and when its cooled enough not to kill your yeast, add it and letter go until done fermenting then still it. Its really that simple.RollEyes"
Offline Fusefinder  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 5:51:10 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"This was the recipe I had at the time. I saw the recipe that you spoke of as well as many others at Homedistillers website and have picked up numerous tips and ideas from them, a lot after the fact... but there is a learning curve right!

What have you done to clean out the puke smell in your batches?"
Offline heeler  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:20:52 AM(UTC)
heeler

"Ff..ya know I think I remember that the nasty aroma of puke did'nt carry over to the finished product. Its been quit some time since that happened to me but I most probably did'nt dump it out. If you do run it and it still smells try a carbon filter and see if that helps.
When you rerun it add the distillate to your boiler with more water than hooch.
I.E. 1 gallon of distillate and 4 gallons of water or somewhere around that ration. That will prolly clean it up too. Let us know how it comes out."
Offline Fusefinder  
#27 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:43:39 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"Thanks for the input! I am beginning to think I cut the process short, (need to do another run or two). I carbon filtered 2X and that took out a lot of odor and cleaned it up. I will run it again and follow up.

One question, I have read a few times and seen a few different answers. I have noticed this on almost every type of forum I read, so I always ask a few times and weigh the answers.

I always toss the first 250ml of every FIRST run I do. Do I need to toss the first 150-250ml of EVERY run or just the FIRST and FINAL run?
Thanks!"
Offline heeler  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, April 03, 2012 7:54:34 AM(UTC)
heeler

"The first run is the usual answer... but in my opinion, I toss what I consider foreshots every pass through the still...now MY explaination.......
heat is how we capture ethanol or hooch, and every time you heat up your distillate and send the liquid through that temp range it will indeed vaporize more of the things I dont want to keep. In my opinion tossing 100mls the second or third time is very little for peace of mind. But for as many that dont there are prolly just as many that do, so keep that amount seperate until the next day and givera good sniff and see if its worth keeping in your mind. Again keeping that small amount and consuming it wont kill you buuuuuuut I'll pass thankyou."
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#29 Posted : Monday, June 18, 2012 11:08:00 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

i just started my frist sf wash in a long time 4 in sf in the bottom of a 18 gal rubber made tub 15 lbs sugar poured two gals hot water to mix sf and sugar top 15 to 16 gals water add brakers yeast just knocked a 2 in tall head down and its just bubbleing away
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#30 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:43:05 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

just looked in on her she just bubbleing away all nice and warm smell good to much old lady dont like it but it keeps me busy she happy
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#31 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:01:11 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

scine the back thing start she works 5 day a week 8 to 5 but im happy cause god know i need free time lol
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#32 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:59:43 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

lmao women need out the house we go crazy if i had to see her every sec of the day weekend are ok cause we both drink lol time pass easlyer that way
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#33 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:15:22 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

lol mine gives those looks
Offline Fusefinder  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:30:00 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Yep you fortunate. Mine dont drink All she knows how to do is nag..lol. J/k she is a great lady. Keeps me straight partially.

I gonna guess everyone here has a woman with 3 out of 4 of those qualities...not saying which one is missing...I kinda think a few of those they rotate on a regular basis...just to keep us guessing!"
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#35 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 7:36:57 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

true true lol
Offline Shinejunky  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:01:57 PM(UTC)
Shinejunky

Ain't it funny how fresh bread smells so good to a woman but my mash(smells like bread to me only better ) smells so bad to my little lady.
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#37 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:03:36 PM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

i think it smell like a sweet bread
Offline Fusefinder  
#38 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:38:00 AM(UTC)
Fusefinder

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Yeah wimmen are odd creatures. Know my Little Bride nagged for three days for stinking up the house when I was busy boiling up some sugar in the backset on the kitchen stove. She kept on repeating..This place smells like a brewery..blah blah blah. Now she has stunk up the worse burning the pintos etc. She dont seem to notice them kinda smells.

Funny how that double standard works isn't it RollEyes"
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#39 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:05:47 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

but we do it so good lol.
Offline texaswhitewolf  
#40 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:31:01 AM(UTC)
texaswhitewolf

hey checked my sf last night to see how the sg falling droped by half in just a day