logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline okie  
#21 Posted : Friday, May 03, 2013 1:24:37 AM(UTC)
okie

Groups: Registered

That's correct for distillers in Scotland. Only barley, some peat smoked and aged in oak barrels for a minimum of three years. Distilled a minimum of two times and some distillers do three but only pot stills which almost all of them have an onion sitting above the boiler before the tapered column which bends to the lyne arm.

Hobbyists bend the rules. Some add sugar to the wash to enhance yield. Distill in reflux stills and age in smaller jars with oak chips or sticks. Remember, the distillers barrels are 50 gallons and a 5 gallon barrel will age in one year what a 50 gallon does in 10.
Offline Creekside T  
#22 Posted : Monday, April 26, 2021 6:21:03 PM(UTC)
Creekside T

Groups: Registered

I'm new to the forum, but find the conversation friendly and helpful.

After reading through the string and thought I'd add some of what I've learned about scotch.

-When making Scotch, remember the trinity, malted barley, water, and yeast. (No sugar.)

-Pick your level of peat to flavor, heavy peat like a Briar's heavy peat barley for an Islay-type flavor.

-I haven't seen mention of straining and rinsing the grain(mash) into the fermenter to prevent ending up with a thick and soupy mash.

-Since you filter/strain the mash after cooking the mash, but before fermenting the mash, it won’t require straining after fermentation.

-Always siphon off the yeast sediment before being transferred to your still.

-Bourbon needs a clean first-run American white oak with a stage 3 char, scotch likes to rest in a used whiskey barrel, not as much vanilla or sugar is transferred into the whiskey.

-Smaller barrel = shorter aging time.

This is just what I do, distilling is an art and we all have our own interpretation of beauty.

Happy distilling - T