logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline okie  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 07, 2013 9:14:29 AM(UTC)
okie

Groups: Registered

I have tried to make scotch twice and failed both times. I think my problem is I followed my still makers advice and went to the pot too fast after fermentation had stopped and had a thick wash with, what I call, starch in it. It burned and gave my scotch a burned taste. I read lots and lots about the process and now I'll let my wash rest several days, rack it, let that rest and add a clearing agent, then rack again before I run.

My recipe is simple.

For a 5 gal wash
8 pounds 2 row malted barley gristed
2 pounds peated malt gristed
whiskey yeast with AG
5 gals spring water

Heated to 144 to 149 for 90 min stirring constantly. raise temp to 160 and turn off heat.
cool to 78 strain off grain, add to fermenter and top off to 5 gal with spring water.

It had SG of about 1.055 at this point. It stopped fermentation in 4 days. I let it sit 24 hrs and racked to my pot in 2 1/2 gal runs each. Pot is only 4 gal.

Looking to improve.

Next try I'll use in a 5 gal wash
6 pounds malted barley grist
2 pounds peated malt grist
4 pounds sugar
5 gals spring water

Your thoughts?
Offline cypherlock  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 6:06:49 AM(UTC)
cypherlock

I make a smokey Islay type scotch pretty regularly - it is simple and easy.

One bag - 5lbs - 6row pale barley malt from Brewhaus
On Half bag - 2 1/2 lbs - peated barley malt from Brewhaus
4kg sugar
Gert Strand AG Wiskey Yeast

Heat water -
150, dissolve sugar and stir in barley - keep it going for an hour or two up to 160. Let it cool down (usually overnight).
I aerate by pouring it back and forth from pot to fermenter 4-5 times (until i get tired or my back hurts). Pitch yeast. Wait 14 days.

I strain off the grain. Pour mash thru strainer via funnel into still and get it running.

Now, my still is insulated. So it takes about 2 1/2 hours to get running. But then it makes this sweet smokey scotch. I usually get about 2 1/2 liters at 50%.

I am going to try a sugar wash run in parallel, and then add the sugar wash to the scotch mash to see if I can increase production. I know that's cheating, but I like to experiment.

***EDIT - the half mash & sugar wash was quite successful.
Offline mbz250sl  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2013 5:04:01 PM(UTC)
mbz250sl

Why do you say you failed - scourched flavor? Try going low and slow with the heat and that should avoid the scourched flavor - I'm going to try something along the lines of 10 pounds of 2 row with 4 pounds peated malt for my next run - will let you know how it goes
Offline okie  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:08:52 AM(UTC)
okie

After thinking it over and much reading, I think my problem was my conversion of starches to sugars. I think it didn't happen fully and I had a lot of starch in my wash. I use an electric hot plate and directly above the element was black charred crap. The wash was not clear either and I let it settle a bit, probably not long enough. I'm going to run it again and hope I get the bad taste out.

The good thing is, once that bad taste has gone behind it is a great sweet single malt scotch taste. I aged it in oak and put a few raisins in the bottle I think I'm on the right track, need to clean up the mashing act. My next try I'm going to mash in a cooler box and sparge it.

I like Glenmorangie Nectar so I bought some French Sauterne wine and I'm going to soak some oak in it for a while, let it dry, then use that to age my next scotch. I hope it works.
Offline okie  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 4:20:02 AM(UTC)
okie

Originally Posted by: cypherlock Go to Quoted Post
I make a smokey Islay type scotch pretty regularly - it is simple and easy.

One bag - 5lbs - 6row pale barley malt from Brewhaus
On Half bag - 2 1/2 lbs - peated barley malt from Brewhaus
4kg sugar
Gert Strand AG Wiskey Yeast

Heat water -
150, dissolve sugar and stir in barley - keep it going for an hour or two up to 160. Let it cool down (usually overnight).
I aerate by pouring it back and forth from pot to fermenter 4-5 times (until i get tired or my back hurts). Pitch yeast. Wait 14 days.

I strain off the grain. Pour mash thru strainer via funnel into still and get it running.

Now, my still is insulated. So it takes about 2 1/2 hours to get running. But then it makes this sweet smokey scotch. I usually get about 2 1/2 liters at 50%.

I am going to try a sugar wash run in parallel, and then add the sugar wash to the scotch mash to see if I can increase production. I know that's cheating, but I like to experiment.

***EDIT - the half mash & sugar wash was quite successful.

Is this a 5 gal mash recipe?
Offline okie  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2013 7:02:51 AM(UTC)
okie

I found mt problem. My thermometer, which I bought at a local brew shop, was showing 180 F for boiling water. I never got the malted barley hot enough. It's now calibrated to 212 F 100 C at sea level for boiling water.
Offline cypherlock  
#7 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 1:08:20 PM(UTC)
cypherlock

Originally Posted by: okie Go to Quoted Post
Is this a 5 gal mash recipe?

I guess I did forget to mention the amount of water, sorry, use 25L of water...
Offline mbz250sl  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 1:33:12 PM(UTC)
mbz250sl

"
I guess I did forget to mention the amount of water, sorry, use 25L of water...

I'm not one who is too into the science of the craft, but guess I should be, but more into the ultimate taste of the end product -- the recipe above seems light to me -- I've got 10 lbs of 6 row and 4 lbs of peated malt that I'm planning to mash this weekend with 25 l of water -- I'll probably throw 5 lbs of sugar into it to increase my yield and will use 1118 yeast -- if someone picks up on this thread and wants to expand on grain bill or scientific #s behind it, I'll happily read - thanks in advance."
Offline cypherlock  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 08, 2013 2:07:17 PM(UTC)
cypherlock

Give it a try and let me know what you think, it's been working pretty well for me.
Offline okie  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2013 4:14:12 AM(UTC)
okie

Hey Cypherlock, what SG do you get with the added sugar?
Offline cypherlock  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 4:42:48 AM(UTC)
cypherlock

I actually have not been measuring it, but I give it 10 to 14 days in the fermenting bucket, you can just tell by the smell that it's ready. I'll prep another mash this afternoon and measure it though.
Offline cypherlock  
#12 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 7:17:03 AM(UTC)
cypherlock

"Okie, just finished:
One bag - 5lbs - 6row pale barley malt
On Half bag - 2 1/2 lbs - peated barley malt
Two 4lb bags of sugar (3.62 kg)

15L of water with mash -measured 1.110 SG which should be a PA of ~14.5%.

Going to addd 10L water to help cool it down to room temp before pitching yeast."
Offline okie  
#13 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:14:44 AM(UTC)
okie

Lookin good. Question, have you ever used 2 row malted barley? What is the difference in taste?
Offline okie  
#14 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:25:15 AM(UTC)
okie

One last question, what size fermenter do you have? I have several 5 gal buckets with lids and airlocks and one 6 gal brew bucket with the lid and airlock. I was thinking of making 12 gal and doing it in a 20 gal white food grade can with lid. Would that be a no no? I am looking to make 12 gal of wash for my keg.
Offline cypherlock  
#15 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 4:52:21 PM(UTC)
cypherlock

Lookin good. Question, have you ever used 2 row malted barley? What is the difference in taste?

I have a bag but have not used it yet. Can try it next and see.
One last question, what size fermenter do you have? I have several 5 gal buckets with lids and airlocks and one 6 gal brew bucket with the lid and airlock. I was thinking of making 12 gal and doing it in a 20 gal white food grade can with lid. Would that be a no no? I am looking to make 12 gal of wash for my keg.

I use 5 Gal buckets, but I can't see how making a larger batch would be an issue. Scale the grains and water on up to the 12 gal with the same proportions and you should be good. Might need two packs of WD Whiskey Yeast?

Anyway, this mash is going crazy with the fermentation. Had to move it into a bathroom because it smelled up the house. Is bubbling like a crazy,non-stop and stinky like spoiled eggs. :-D
Offline cypherlock  
#16 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 11:30:00 AM(UTC)
cypherlock

15L of water with mash -measured 1.110 SG which should be a PA of ~14.5%.
Going to addd 10L water to help cool it down to room temp before pitching yeast.

I just measured SG and it's at 1.000. Time to declare victory and distill?
Can't believe it's done so fast. That's 13.8%ABV.
Offline okie  
#17 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 1:21:15 PM(UTC)
okie

That's Crazy Good!!
Can't wait to read the updates.
Offline 49rMiner  
#18 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 1:28:35 PM(UTC)
49rMiner

I've been doing a mash of 1/3 British peated malt, and 2/3 6 row, and it's been great; on my 4th gen. and just getting better....comes out a wee bit low proof pot stilled single run, but that's o.k. by me.....switching back and forth between 6 row and some Golden Promise now (hard to get reasonably here in the sticks)...we'll see...
Offline cypherlock  
#19 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:05:25 AM(UTC)
cypherlock

"
That's Crazy Good!!
Can't wait to read the updates.

Well, it produced 4.5 Liters
52%. Ran it a total of 12 hours (low and slow). I cut the tails short, stopped the operation once it dropped below 20%, so I did lose some smokey flavor... Did not filter it. Ran the PSII as a single pot with both columns and no reflux action. I insulate my still and columns. I run the outflow from the jacketed column thru 3/4"" copper tubing coiled in an old fridge, so condense any escaping vapor. Cooling water comes from a tub in same fridge, drilled holes in the walls.

It's smooth with a smokey aftertaste. Little bit of cloud, and has a little immature flavor that will settle down in a few weeks on charred oak chips, but two fingers over ice and I am a happy man. This is right what I wanted. I know an smokey Islay type scotch isn't for everyone, but this seems damn well perfect in my book.

Now, if you will excuse me, the wife is running around in those cute fuzzy pjs that seem to call out for my attention, so I better get to it! ;-)"
Offline okie  
#20 Posted : Sunday, February 17, 2013 9:32:55 AM(UTC)
okie

That is looking good. I hope to start on my still next week and after a cleaning run or two, I'll be making some.