logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Heyg73  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2020 2:25:23 PM(UTC)
Heyg73

Groups: Registered

Was wondering if someone has a recipe for a mash consisting of cracked corn and malted rye?If I'm using a malted rye, do I still need to add sugar or enzymes? Any advice or recipes would be greatly appreciated!
Offline bamfer  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 05, 2020 5:38:18 AM(UTC)
bamfer

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
This forum seems to be pretty quiet. I would imagine you've found the answer by now but here's a page you may want to look at. I haven't seen any malted recipes where sugar needs to be added. You're just going to have to cook your mash to convert the starches to sugars. In the recipe below, maybe you could substitute the flaked maize (corn) with cracked corn but it may compromise the outcome. I'm still a bit of a newby at this. Good luck.

https://milehidistilling...how-to-make-rye-whiskey/
thanks 1 user thanked bamfer for this useful post.
Heyg73 on 4/9/2020(UTC)
Offline tntc  
#3 Posted : Thursday, April 16, 2020 5:28:50 AM(UTC)
tntc

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
If you do a mash make sure to check temps to hold and how tong for conversion
Offline Frankiebadass50  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 16, 2020 1:19:48 PM(UTC)
Frankiebadass50

How long do I let a 5 gallon mash ferment i been running it through my still when the yeast isn't working anymore and one time I let it sit for seven days and my shine is no higher than 110 proof I used 10lb cracked corn 3lb of rye and 2lb barely 7gal distilled water 7lb sugar and 15g of red star daddy Distillers active dry yeast any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you
Offline heeler  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 7:03:21 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Howdy badass, just FYI. The PROOF of your shine is not really determined by how much sugar you add to the recipe but the AMOUNT of alcohol is. Nowthen, the still you are using and the way you run it will be the determining factor on how high the proof is. If you want to raise the proof you must remove more water from your distillate. You can do that by running very slowly with lots of copper mesh in your tower or by re-distilling what you already have. Keep reading and learning and it will make sense soonish.
Offline heeler  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2020 7:06:54 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
You also mentioned, how long do I let it ferment? You need to learn to use a mash hydrometer so you will know when it's done fermenting. But generally when it stops bubbling in the airlock give it a day or two more and that should do. Or look inside and see if it's still and not swirling.
And with an allgrain recipe like that one you need to add some alpha amalese to get a complete conversion of all the starches in all that grain. That's a pretty tough recipe to make work for a beginner but if you do it long enough it'll all come together.

Edited by user Monday, May 18, 2020 7:09:18 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified