logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline yidakimason  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 26, 2015 9:36:47 AM(UTC)
yidakimason

Groups: Registered

Hey folks, just getting into this world... I am researching small-batch gin stills to purchase.. My intention is to start with a still large enough to produce high quality/flavour gin, in quantities large enough to supply our friend base... Eventually, once i've cleared the learning curve, i'd like to step it up and start a small-scale craft distillery. I've had over a decade o homebrewing beer and wine, but havent dabbled into spirits yet, so i understand that i've got a lot to learn...

I seek advice on which equipment to purchase, to get high quality results, and reasonable efficiency to produce small batches in moderate quantity.. I've done a little research and seem drawn to the Brewhaus 15 gal, 4" flute with four chambers. Seems like a reasonable place to start, and may remain a usefull size later on when running distillery, as a small-batch still for testing recipes and experimentation. Any advice on this is appreciated

Along with that, i realize a heat source is needed( doesnt come with heating coils/ thermostat, like some other stills on market). I like the idea of using an induction element, are these good for this application, or is a submersible heating coil the best way to go?

Thanks again, i will be posting many more questions and appreciate any guidance

Matthew
Offline lordWobbles  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 10, 2023 11:35:48 AM(UTC)
lordWobbles

Groups: Registered

Ha, exactly the same questions as I wanted. 8 years and no answers, looks like we met to hunt elsewhere! How did you get on in the end? I wanted to know if an 8 gal kettle could support a 4 in flute
Offline admin  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 14, 2023 7:59:55 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
While an 8 gallon kettle can support the 4" flute column it is not optimal because of the small volume for the large column. The cost difference is also very small between the 8 gallon and 15 gallon kettles, so I would suggest staying with the 15 gallon kettle and just reduce the volume of liquid for smaller test runs.

The other option is the 3" column, which can be multi-headed on a larger volume boiler as you move into commercial operations down the road. We have several small distilleries operating this way.