logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline captinjack  
#21 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 3:11:13 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Groups: Registered

Maddawgs,
Can you give me an opinion on the pvc filter system after you use it as I'm trying to decide on if I should go with the pvc or stainless system...
Thanks Captinjack
Offline John Barleycorn  
#22 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 8:47:27 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Md,

Treat your first run as a stripping run ... it's a great opportunity to dillute it down to 40% and run it through again.
Offline Maddawgs  
#23 Posted : Sunday, February 03, 2013 1:14:36 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
Md,

Treat your first run as a stripping run ... it's a great opportunity to dillute it down to 40% and run it through again.

Hi JB,
That is plan b if the filter doesn't clean it up. I would drink it now but my wife said it was terrible and she wouldn't touch it. This way I get to learn something new--how to filter your alcohol. I was a bit discouraged but it is really only my first run and it is a learning process. I expected the potential for an off flavor due to the problems with the ferment. I probably stressed the hell out of that turbo by hydrating it and dumping in the yeast energizer most likely made it even worse. Hey it is a learning process and you have to learn to walk before you can run.
Thanks, Maddawgs
Offline captinjack  
#24 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 3:42:53 AM(UTC)
captinjack

"
Originally Posted by: Maddawgs Go to Quoted Post
Hi CJ,
I run two seperate identical systems for cooling water. Each has its own 32 gallon supply (big rubbermaid trash barrels) and pump. For the column the flow is set to a trickle. Which is just enough to see a small stream flowing thru the tubes. The flow goes in at the top and comes out at the bottom thru the 6 diiferent connections. This water did get warm thru the run but not hot temp never went above 72f in the bucket (I have temp sensors in both 32 gallon buckets). For the liebig flow was set to full. The flow for this goes in the bottom and out the top. This water never got warm at all and the bucket temp stayed at a constant 68f. All water is recirculated back to thier own buckets and reused thru the run. I had 8 2 litre soda bottles frozen and ready to go if needed but never needed it. This could be due to the large amount of water in the buckets. Hope this helps you out.
Maddawgs
P.S. One plus to this system is if you have a fire there is 64 gallons of pumped water ready to go!!

Hi Maddawgs,
I was just re-reading some of this info and was just wondering what you use for the temp sensors in the water buckets? And where do you have your valve for your column cooling water is it before it goes in the column or in the return line?
Thanks Captinjack"
Offline Maddawgs  
#25 Posted : Wednesday, February 20, 2013 7:33:22 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: captinjack Go to Quoted Post
Hi Maddawgs,
I was just re-reading some of this info and was just wondering what you use for the temp sensors in the water buckets? And where do you have your valve for your column cooling water is it before it goes in the column or in the return line?
Thanks Captinjack

Hi CJ,
I just use the same type of sensor that I use for the top of the column http://www.amazon.com/gp...00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . I have 6 of these, they are great and easy to use. I just let it sit down into the bucket at set the temp alarm for 74f. The valves for both the column and the liebig are at the water in connections to control the cold water in. Hope this helps you out, if you have any other questions feel frre to ask,
Maddawgs