logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Maddawgs  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:16:05 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Groups: Registered

Hi All,
Well I did my first official run this weekend and I think it was a success. The wash I used was the one from my "time to admit defeat and beg for help" thread and it was based on a turbo recipie from Bushy's "yesterday's run" thread. It was 12 gallons, Sg was 1.090 and Fg was .990 (12.9 abv?) and also included the quart od 40% abv from my sacrificial run. From start to finish it took just over 11 hours. (I did stop it at just before 9pm and restarted the next morning, I did not count the second heat up time but I will note that during this second heat up the same process was followed but there were no fores and at 162f to 170f there were onle a few drops of heads.) Heat up time was just about an hour with the lower rsc controlled element set to var high and the top element on. Coolling water flow to the column was set at just a trickle and flow to the liebig was at full open. When the top of the boiler hit 190f (temp probe sitting on boiler cover) I turned off the top element. I monitored column temp as it heated up by placing my hand on it from top to bottom. I think (and I could be wrong) that this gave me a good feel for how the reflux action of the column was working (different alcohols vaporize at different temps with the nasties boiling at lower temps-again I could be wrong). At the point where the upper section started to get warm I turned the rsc to midway on the high setting. When the area just below the cross flow cooling tubes got warm I set the rsc to the divider between high and medium. Fores started at 152f and stopped at 155f (no drips) then I increased colling water to the column for about 10 minutes then set it back to trickle. Heads started at about 160f and went to 168f (no drips) again I set column flow to full for about 15 minutes the set it back to trickle. Right at 172f I started pulling heads at between 90% to 93% (varied thru run) And continued pulling until 176f. Final yeilds were 250ml fores, 250ml heads, 175oz of what I'm calling 92% hearts (cuts were jars 1-4 10oz each, 5-8 20oz each, 9-13 10oz each, 14 5oz), and 2.5 quarts of tails (tails were just under 90% down to 40%). Column temps are mentioned only because that is when product started dripping. My goal was to have low heat to the boiler and a slow drip rate. Cooling flow to the column was increased only to force more reflux and induce better compaction.During the hearts run the drip rate varied from 2-3 per second to a pencil lead sized stream. When I got a stream I lowered the rsc setting eventually ending up at the lower quarter of the low setting (on the light bulb test this setting was flickering or almost no power).
OK let me know what you all think on how I did. I did my best to follow the advice of our experienced members and thank them all for their advice,in various threads. Hope to hear some feedback from you all.
Thanks, Maddawgs
Offline John Barleycorn  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 1:53:54 AM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Hi Md,

I'm glad to hear you had a good run!

Did you dillute & have a small taste (or two) of your product? Tell us what you think of it.

Something that I continue to do is to evaluate nose, palette and finish side-by-side with one or two commercial brands that I enjoy. It's not so I can make a copycat, but rather to compare what I like/dislike about each of them ... then go back to the drawing board to see if there's something I can do differently to get more of what I like (and less of what I don't like). For me, learning how to change the process or techinique to consistently get the results I want is a real challenge ... but it's awfully interesting and a helluva lot of fun.:)

Regards,
--JB"
Offline Bushy  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 4:43:43 AM(UTC)
Bushy

Hi Maddawgs, congrats on a good first run. I like your hands on the tower to observe the vapor movement, kind of "Old School" techniques mixed with new technology.
Good description of a good first run. Keep em coming.
Offline Maddawgs  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:31:48 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: John Barleycorn Go to Quoted Post
Hi Md,

I'm glad to hear you had a good run!

Did you dillute & have a small taste (or two) of your product? Tell us what you think of it.

Something that I continue to do is to evaluate nose, palette and finish side-by-side with one or two commercial brands that I enjoy. It's not so I can make a copycat, but rather to compare what I like/dislike about each of them ... then go back to the drawing board to see if there's something I can do differently to get more of what I like (and less of what I don't like). For me, learning how to change the process or techinique to consistently get the results I want is a real challenge ... but it's awfully interesting and a helluva lot of fun.:)

Regards,
--JB

Hi JB,
Thanks. No I didn't dilute. Plan is to let the cuts sit covered with coffee filters for 2 days. Give each a smell and taste, mix the keepers, dilute to 55%, then do a side by side taste test against some commercial brands to see how I did. I suspect I may have an off flavor due to the issues I had with the ferment of the wash and the high sg. All tasted good during finger taste tests during the run and hearts all look crystal clear.
Maddawgs
Offline Maddawgs  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:48:57 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: Bushy Go to Quoted Post
Hi Maddawgs, congrats on a good first run. I like your hands on the tower to observe the vapor movement, kind of "Old School" techniques mixed with new technology.
Good description of a good first run. Keep em coming.

Hi Bushy,
Thanks, I was trying to understand the concept of how reflux works in a tower. Going on the theory that different alcohols boil at different temps so the vapor temps should be close to the same. It took about 25 minutes to heat the column from bottom to top. I'm thinking that this was the vapors thru reflux action working their way up the column and my top of column temp readings kind of prove the theory. All the alcohols starting dripping at just about the right temps with the nasties in the 150f range, heads in the 160f-170f range, hearts at 170f to 175f, and tails right up to 205f. I found it all to be very interesting. One of my next mods is going to be to find some way of monitoring temps at different points up the column. I want to find out if I'm getting true separation during reflux. This wash was from the one you did in your "yesterday's run" thread so I'm pretty happy with the results so far.
Thanks, Maddawgs
Offline captinjack  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:26:54 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Hi Maddawgs,
Congrats and glad to hear you had a good first run! nice write up also, sounds like you had a good time of it... What or how did you run your cooling water. Did you use a large ice chest with ice or a barrel of water? and what can you recommend...
Captinjack
Offline dieselduo  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 6:38:44 AM(UTC)
dieselduo

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I just use an ice chest and when the water starts warming up I put in a frozen gal jug of water and replace with another when that melts. Works well for me with little effort
Offline Maddawgs  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 8:56:06 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: captinjack Go to Quoted Post
Hi Maddawgs,
Congrats and glad to hear you had a good first run! nice write up also, sounds like you had a good time of it... What or how did you run your cooling water. Did you use a large ice chest with ice or a barrel of water? and what can you recommend...
Captinjack

Hi CJ,
I run two seperate identical systems for cooling water. Each has its own 32 gallon supply (big rubbermaid trash barrels) and pump. For the column the flow is set to a trickle. Which is just enough to see a small stream flowing thru the tubes. The flow goes in at the top and comes out at the bottom thru the 6 diiferent connections. This water did get warm thru the run but not hot temp never went above 72f in the bucket (I have temp sensors in both 32 gallon buckets). For the liebig flow was set to full. The flow for this goes in the bottom and out the top. This water never got warm at all and the bucket temp stayed at a constant 68f. All water is recirculated back to thier own buckets and reused thru the run. I had 8 2 litre soda bottles frozen and ready to go if needed but never needed it. This could be due to the large amount of water in the buckets. Hope this helps you out.
Maddawgs
P.S. One plus to this system is if you have a fire there is 64 gallons of pumped water ready to go!!
Offline captinjack  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:31:26 AM(UTC)
captinjack

Well that sounds good to me... Did you get the second pump from Brewhaus...
Offline Maddawgs  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:46:46 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: captinjack Go to Quoted Post
Well that sounds good to me... Did you get the second pump from Brewhaus...

Hi CJ,
Nope, but in hindsight I should have. It is an old outdoor fountain pump I had. I'll need to replace it though as I fear it is near the end of it's pumping life. I'll get another one before my next run. I'll be starting my next 6 gallon wash in a week or so and I'll want to have a good pump for the run after that.
Maddawgs
Offline badbill2  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 12:43:19 PM(UTC)
badbill2

Man, That sounds like a lot of work or input above and beyond. I'm glad mine doesn't take that much thinkin.
Offline captinjack  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 3:20:05 PM(UTC)
captinjack

Quote:
Man, That sounds like a lot of work or input above and beyond. I'm glad mine doesn't take that much thinkin

What is yours? Explain please...
Offline joseph9936  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 4:14:49 PM(UTC)
joseph9936

I got a pump from brewhaus and it feel apart and it would not stay back together. I went to Lowes and got two pond pumps and they seem to be doing great. NOT bashing Brewhaus because I but all my supplies from them now since they are in Texas.
Offline Maddawgs  
#14 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:34:24 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: joseph9936 Go to Quoted Post
I got a pump from brewhaus and it feel apart and it would not stay back together. I went to Lowes and got two pond pumps and they seem to be doing great. NOT bashing Brewhaus because I but all my supplies from them now since they are in Texas.

Hi joe,
The Brewhaus pump is made to come apart. The bottom section is just a standoff to give clearance below the pump.
Maddawgs
Offline Maddawgs  
#15 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 1:38:13 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: badbill2 Go to Quoted Post
Man, That sounds like a lot of work or input above and beyond. I'm glad mine doesn't take that much thinkin.

Hi Bill,
It is a learning process for me. I gave as much detail as possible for those who are intersted in the PS2HC. Kind of an explanation of how it works and what it can do. Just trying to give info to those who want it.
Maddawgs
Offline flht01  
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 2:02:31 AM(UTC)
flht01

Originally Posted by: Maddawgs Go to Quoted Post
Hi Bill,
It is a learning process for me. I gave as much detail as possible for those who are intersted in the PS2HC. Kind of an explanation of how it works and what it can do. Just trying to give info to those who want it.
Maddawgs

And it's appreciated. Mine should be rolling in here first of next week and these post will certainly help
Offline joseph9936  
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 3:52:58 AM(UTC)
joseph9936

Originally Posted by: Maddawgs Go to Quoted Post
Hi joe,
The Brewhaus pump is made to come apart. The bottom section is just a standoff to give clearance below the pump.
Maddawgs

I understand that but while it would be running it just kept coming off and then the little propeller would push itself out. Tried to fix mant times and it just kept doing the samething. I never dropped it or anything just put it in a cooler abd left it unril it was not pumping one day. maybeI just got a bad factory unit. Not mad or it hasnt got me to a place to where I will not buy from Brewhaus just saying I didnt have luck with it...thats all
Offline Maddawgs  
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:48:08 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: joseph9936 Go to Quoted Post
I understand that but while it would be running it just kept coming off and then the little propeller would push itself out. Tried to fix mant times and it just kept doing the samething. I never dropped it or anything just put it in a cooler abd left it unril it was not pumping one day. maybeI just got a bad factory unit. Not mad or it hasnt got me to a place to where I will not buy from Brewhaus just saying I didnt have luck with it...thats all

Hi Joe,
Ahh, that is a much different problem, sorry for the misunderstanding (my badSad). On mine the little suction cups at the bottom worked so well that when I went to take the pump out of the bucket the bottom section would stay in the bucket. A couple of elastic bands fixed that. If you haven't had your rig to long I would suggest giving Brewhaus a call. Even though I never needed them I have heard a lot of good things about thier customer service.
Maddawgs
Offline Maddawgs  
#19 Posted : Thursday, January 31, 2013 5:51:35 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

Originally Posted by: flht01 Go to Quoted Post
And it's appreciated. Mine should be rolling in here first of next week and these post will certainly help

Hi flht01,
Thanks, glad I could be of some help. If you have any questions i would be happy to answer as best as I can.
Maddawgs
Offline Maddawgs  
#20 Posted : Saturday, February 02, 2013 2:23:43 AM(UTC)
Maddawgs

OK, The update on this is what I wound up with is a product with an off taste when compared to a premiun commercial vodka. while it smells really good (almost a caramel smell) but a harsh after burn. I'm assuming that this is due to the isuues I had during the ferment. Next step is to set up the filter system and run the 2.5 gallons thru charcoal. Any questions, comments, suggestions, or advice are appreciated and wanted.
Thanks, Maddawgs