logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline tikisteve  
#21 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2012 10:56:00 AM(UTC)
tikisteve

Groups: Registered

"I would go with the higher wattage/current rated router controler. My 15 amp one finally died after a year usage and it would get pretty warm while the still was running. I got the 20 amp one which handles the current better and doesn't get as warm.
Amazon has a few to choose from as well as ebay."
Offline Eubanks6  
#22 Posted : Saturday, January 28, 2012 9:19:58 AM(UTC)
Eubanks6

Thanks Steve I'll deff do that. What specs do I need? 120v and 20+ amps
Offline scotty  
#23 Posted : Saturday, January 28, 2012 10:18:00 AM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"
Originally Posted by: Eubanks6 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Steve I'll deff do that. What specs do I need? 120v and 20+ amps

If you have the extra cash, a variac will never burn out."
Offline tikisteve  
#24 Posted : Monday, January 30, 2012 11:09:33 AM(UTC)
tikisteve

"According to calculations of a router controller rated at 120v and 20 amps, it should be able to handle up to 2400 watts. So if you're using the 1500 watt burner from Brewhaus, it should work fine. Of course the 15 amp one would work too but that's cutting it close at 1800 watts.
Cheers!"
Offline Ghankra  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 11:27:53 AM(UTC)
Ghankra

I just toss first 50mls to answer your question, i do run 2 pumps one for tower one for condenser, think alot of people are doing that tho, works well.
#26 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 12:26:43 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Just took the plunge on the HC extra large milk bucket model..also with the 1500 watt hotplate. Understand the router deal now I think..but how do the hotplate play with the 15 gallon bucket? I have several good turkey fryer type burners just setting around gathering dust. Should I cancel the hotplate maybe? I heard somebody say to bring it up to temps with the propane then switch to the hotplate..but I am a little fat and old to be lugging 15 gallons of boiling moonshine around hither and tither..lol. Kindly give up some tips here. Thanks.
#27 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 3:36:41 PM(UTC)

Ok Scotty..you have been very informative. Thanks. Now I went over to that place the only thing I could find in online catalouge which seem to fit this deal is a controller for a router designed to be used for carpentry work. Now is this the same critter of which you speak or do you think I was in the wrong section or something?
Offline scotty  
#28 Posted : Tuesday, January 31, 2012 10:36:09 PM(UTC)
scotty

"First of all i dont know if there are diferent typs of router speed controlls.. The ones listed on ebay seem to be all ok.
AGAIN< i dont know if there are diferent types.

My main control is a variac but i also have the 20+ amp router control.

I have been using this model with satisfaction Its a rockler brand whatever that is???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Roc...&hash=item5891fa9aaa"
Offline heeler  
#29 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2012 8:04:17 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Ok so let me get in on this too....with a router speed controller you can use any size heating element you want. It makes no differnce because the RSC is only gonna send so much juice to the element, know what I mean??? I used a 5500 watt on one of my units cause I thought it would last longer since it is designed for big juice and its only getting little juice. I plug mine into a 30 amp circut and while its cooking in the spirit run it only draws 8-9 amps. I also use the propane stand and the gas to get up to temp and then I turn off the gas and just use the eletric element with RSC and leave it right there on that stand.

I haven't seen anybody use a RSC with a hot plate but givera go and see if it works. Only thing that can happen is it burns up the hotplate."
Offline heeler  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2012 8:14:25 AM(UTC)
heeler

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Bigdeal...the RSC is designed to control the speed of a motor, that dosen't mean it only works on carpentry uses or only on routers. When useing a router it is ideal to turn the speed of the router down to preserve the edge of the wood you are working on. Thats why that thing was invented. Its really just a rheastat and works great for our application. I'm pretty sure a variac is doing the same job just a diff name.
Mine also gets warm when in use but not to the inth degree. If you can plug it into a bigger supply (30amp circut versuses a 20amp circut) it is well worth the $30 or $40 it will cost to get it home."
#31 Posted : Wednesday, February 01, 2012 3:01:01 PM(UTC)

Now what disaster befalls those who have the fancy hundred buck hotplate but not the router control gizmo? I am always nervous about being struck dead for not following procedures etc. Thanks.
Offline Fritz The Cat  
#32 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2012 11:39:43 AM(UTC)
Fritz The Cat

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Now what disaster befalls those who have the fancy hundred buck hotplate but not the router control gizmo? I am always nervous about being struck dead for not following procedures etc. Thanks.

I wish this question had been answered. Sad"
#33 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2012 1:03:42 PM(UTC)

Well I can answer the question at this point. The answer is nothing if your in the reflux mode. My router controller zonked out a few runs back. Aint missed it a bit. Things are real controllable with the water. When a person cant keep the temps down with the water its time to quit. Now if you want to pot still..gotta have one. Hope this helps. Welcome to the Brewhaus Forum. Don't bees no stranger.
Offline scotty  
#34 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 9:34:06 AM(UTC)
scotty

"Did you modify the hotplate?? I think its a winner. Get a router control that handles 20 amps and it should stand up.

""Don't bees no stranger."" yeesh TEXANSRollEyes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------"
#35 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:08:04 AM(UTC)

Great point Sir. I was operating under the perhaps mistaken assumption he had already done that deed for some reason. It may have been one of the voices in my head that tells me stuff. Thanks.
Offline scotty  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:15:18 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Great point Sir. I was operating under the perhaps mistaken assumption he had already done that deed for some reason. It may have been one of the voices in my head that tells me stuff. Thanks.

We still dont know anything unless he tells us more.

In new york city we get VERSES in our head."
#37 Posted : Tuesday, June 19, 2012 11:58:04 AM(UTC)

Sounds good to me. The Good Book says to hide those VERSES in our hearts..which as all of us serious students is inclined to believe..head and heart are mostly synonymous. You Noo Yawkers seem to be right on task. Hearty Congrats!!