logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline Eubanks6  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 5:01:09 PM(UTC)
Eubanks6

Groups: Registered

First off hi everyone, just wanted to pop in and hopefully get a few starter questions answered. I made my own pot still and ran a few batches of sugar wash through, chilled it wasn't bad at all. Made one into apple pie and have the other soaking in peaches, hopefully that turns out well anyone have any favorites they are particularly proud of? (I know there's a recipes section, but my main questions are not about that so I thought i'd throw it in here).

Anyways I just ordered Essential Extractor Pro Series II- Complete Distiller with the 8 gallon premium kettle, 10 packs of the turbo 48 yeast, and a 1500W hotplate.

First question, are there temperatures on the hotplate so you can set it at 173 or where ethanol evaporates? Or do you crank it and turn it all the way up and adjust it later once the mash is hot enough? Is the mod to disable any cycling really necessary or is the cycling minimal enough not to affect performance? Also, when using a relux should I stick with sugar washes? I heard anything else I try won't have any flavor when it comes out? Also, with a relux still do I really have to worry about getting rid of the heads and tails? And how do I determine where those start and stop? Does everyone prefer straight shine or spirits, flavoring after, or making brandy's where the fruit is in the mash? One last question is my berate of questions seeking distilling knowledge, in terms of a good sugar wash recipe should I just follow the directions on the yeast packet?
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2012 11:22:53 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"1--The hotplate thermostat must must must be by passed to be on high power at all times.
2-- buy a router speed control to be able to controll the amount of heat applied. You definitely want heat control but never cycling heat"
Offline Eubanks6  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2012 3:44:16 AM(UTC)
Eubanks6

would you mind PMing me an ebay link, there are tons of routers? And is there anywhere on the forum that provides instructions on how to add the router? I found and think I understand how to turn off the cycling. Also, will this hotplate (with the mod) be sufficient for the setup I ordered? Or is it going to take forever to heat up?
Offline scotty  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:27:27 AM(UTC)
scotty

"
Originally Posted by: Eubanks6 Go to Quoted Post
would you mind PMing me an ebay link, there are tons of routers? And is there anywhere on the forum that provides instructions on how to add the router? I found and think I understand how to turn off the cycling. Also, will this hotplate (with the mod) be sufficient for the setup I ordered? Or is it going to take forever to heat up?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Roc...&hash=item5891831c0c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MLCS-94...&hash=item337011dd6d

the first is rated at 26 amps and the second rated at 15 amps. both 120 volts. I chose the heavier one which gives me leeway to up size my heater element.

P=I/E 1500watts = 12.5 amps X 120 volts

3000 watts devided by 120 volts gives 25 amps.

with the more expensive one you can go up to 3000 watts and be within range

You will speed up your heat up time. An internal heating element is interchangable in the event you want to use a duall voltage setup.

((((JUST A NOTE))))

THE ROUTER IS JUST A PLUG IN DEVICE. PLUG IT INTO A RECEPTACLE AND PLUG THE HOT PLATE INTO IT."
Offline scotty  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2012 4:36:07 AM(UTC)
scotty

"http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10760

this might be cheapcompare please

yes it is--- never just trust ebay-- its not the same as it was a few years back wit pricing. maybe shipping is diferent too

SHIPPING ALSO 1 DOLLAR LESS.--- LOL LOL"
Offline Eubanks6  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:07:36 AM(UTC)
Eubanks6

"thank you very much for your help scotty! I didn't know the router would be that easy to hook up BigGrin feel kinda silly for asking now. ha
For my first run, as long as I bypass the cycling do you think it will be okay without the router? I don't think it will be here in time for my first run and I'm incredibly impatient.
Also, any tips with my set up on getting rid of the heads and tails, where to start and stop? I kind of had it down pat pretty well on the pot still I made, but this one I'm sure will be different."
Offline scotty  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:24:34 AM(UTC)
scotty

"you need to reduce the applied voltage ((the amount of applied heat) as soon as the wash gets to temperature. I dont think its smart/possible to do without the control.

[SIZE=""2""] Others may be able to help you better. This is just my way of doing it.[/SIZE]"
Offline scotty  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 24, 2012 7:34:20 AM(UTC)
scotty

"As far as temperature goes, I wait till the temp at the base of the tower starts to climb and then i imidiately reduce the heat ((router to about #8))

You can do the same by watching for a temperature change at the top of the tower where main temperature monitoring occurs.

I then keep the flow to a slow drip and discard foreshots. I use 125ml and others use 50 ml.

I dont do a stripping run with the refracting still i just run it slow as i can. I now have the 3 inch still also and expect better results.

I have notes on temperature but that is because my sense of smell is shot and i really dont like the taste of whiskey or vodka straight.

The best stuff is made by you using your senses.

Others will have to coach you on that.

good luck again:)"
Offline Eubanks6  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:30:08 AM(UTC)
Eubanks6

thank you very much, you have been nothing but help! I'll for sure try the mason jar trick, until I learn my new still a little better.
So with a reflux still (minus running the heads and tails once I accumulate enough) I don't have to do numerous runs to get a good product I can be proud of? And by run it as slow as possible, does that mean as close to 173 degrees as possible so I only retrieve ethanol from the wash?
also, since I've already sunk so much $$$ into this new hobby (i'm sure it will end up being well worth it!) would the cheaper router speed controller work for the hotplate I chose? Or is the other one really that much better and more necessary for my set up?
Offline scotty  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:49:27 AM(UTC)
scotty

"Actually you have no control over the temperature. Just adjust is down to obtain/maintain a slow drip. ((Some folks use a slow stream))You will watch the temperature rise as diferent types of alcohol boil off.. Its amazing.

That was the hardest thing for me to get into my thick skull.

When i said i had notes on temperature, I meant that they were to let me know what faction the still was giving me at any given time.
(((Jug changing time)))."
Offline Eubanks6  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 8:15:04 AM(UTC)
Eubanks6

ooohhhh I see what you're saying. But again, is it necessary to run more than once on a reflux still?
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 10:52:53 AM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

"
ooohhhh I see what you're saying. But again, is it necessary to run more than once on a reflux still?

if you wanna see one un n running mine can bee seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/bayouruler"
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline scotty  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:45:22 AM(UTC)
scotty

"

I think its a matter of preference. A second run should give you a higher quality product I guess.

I have no experience doing 2 reflux runs. I go for controlled fermentation and very slow distilling.

BUT what is the best way ???????????????????"
Offline Eubanks6  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 11:57:04 AM(UTC)
Eubanks6

"Bayou, thank you those videos that will surely give me something to compare to when i finally get my still!

scotty I see what you're saying! I suppose I'll just have to try it and see which way I like better!"
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:27:01 PM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

"

No it is not. It is however recommended that you do stripping runs in pot mode and when you have enough low-wines do a spirit run diluted to 40%ABV in reflux mode."
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline LWTCS  
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 12:41:59 AM(UTC)
LWTCS

"Eub,
Ya can't control the boiler temps by adjusting yer heat input. And as such, thermostatic control over your boiler will do a less than desirable job of coaxing your fractions.
It is the composition of alcohol within the boiler that dictates the wash / boiler temps. And as the run progresses,,the alcohol will be increasingly more depleated within the boiler. Thus the boiler will automatically adjust / raise its temps.

If water boils at 212 and etho at 174,,,,,,,you wash will boil at some point in-between. As long as your boiler has liquid inside,,,,the temp will never exceed 212.........Savy?"
Offline Eubanks6  
#17 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 3:14:15 AM(UTC)
Eubanks6

"it's starting to make more sense, thanks LWTCS! I can't wait for my order to ship out so I can give it a go. I have 3 5 gallon pails of sugar was fermenting right now so it should have sufficient time to settle by the time I get the still, I can't wait to give em a go!
Scotty, would the cheaper of the two router speed controllers you posted work? I'll consider upping to a bigger one later, looking to save some cash after going from a still I made at home depot to the PSII OhMyGod"
Offline Ghankra  
#18 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 6:55:27 AM(UTC)
Ghankra

I really dont think its neccesary to re-run anything after reflux, i have mine sweet talked into giving me 96% on the first time through, and im quite happy with that.
Offline Eubanks6  
#19 Posted : Thursday, January 26, 2012 7:46:29 AM(UTC)
Eubanks6

Ghankra it'd be great if I could get mine set up that well! Do you just toss the heads and tails or save those for a second run later on?
Offline Eubanks6  
#20 Posted : Friday, January 27, 2012 4:09:57 AM(UTC)
Eubanks6

just thought i'd throw it out there one more time, is the larger capacity router really necessary for my set up? Will it allow me better heat control once I mod the hotplate itself? Or will the cheaper one work the same?