logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline badbill2  
#21 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:51:42 AM(UTC)
badbill2

Groups: Registered

I think if you still got bubbles after 11 days at every 3- seconds, I'd let it go a few more days. Sounds like you may have some real good stuff.
Offline rasher  
#22 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 10:55:25 AM(UTC)
rasher

"What I decided to do was get another pair of 30L fermenters and do my washes in a two-week cycle:

1: Week 0 - Load buckets 1 & 2 with Batch 1
2: Week 1 - Load buckets 3 & 4 with Batch 2
3: Week 3 - Strip Batch 1 and set aside (Approx 2.75gal
40%); Load buckets 1 & 2 with Batch 3
4: Week 4 - Strip Batch 2 and set aside; Load buckets 3 & 4 with Batch 4
5: Week 5 - Strip Batch 3 and set aside
6. Week 6 - Strip Back 4 and set aside.
7: Next day - Charge still with approx. 11 gal
40% and Reflux Spirit Run

What about that plan?"
Offline badbill2  
#23 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:08:56 AM(UTC)
badbill2

Man, I love organized people but I usually spend 1/2 day lookig for something and then forget what I'm looking for! I got where I'll open two or three beers while I'm making and tasting hootch just so I can find one of the three! I/m impressed with your system, but I don't think I could do all that. I'm still cleaning up bannanas from this am when my tun blew up.
Offline rasher  
#24 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2012 9:07:44 AM(UTC)
rasher

My thinking is that I can quickly pot-still strip several batches of washes, then save back the distillate (low-wine) for a day when I can spend all day refluxing. Maybe I'm thinking wrong?
Offline ohyeahyeah  
#25 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2012 10:53:01 AM(UTC)
ohyeahyeah

"
Originally Posted by: rasher Go to Quoted Post
My thinking is that I can quickly pot-still strip several batches of washes, then save back the distillate (low-wine) for a day when I can spend all day refluxing. Maybe I'm thinking wrong?

No you are right on the money. Some run it once, some run it twice. You definately get a cleaner tasting distillate running it twice. Depends on what you want."
Offline rasher  
#26 Posted : Sunday, May 20, 2012 4:43:32 AM(UTC)
rasher

"Success! Ran my first pot-still ""strip"" run on 45L yesterday.
OG 1.07, Final SG 1.02 (let it cook for 10 days, but I couldn't wait any longer!) - 6.57% ABV
During the strip run, collected:
250mL foreshots
4 pints (heads?)
59%, 59%, 56%, 54% (started cloudy and got clearer)
4 quarts (hearts?)
49%, 46%, 42%, 36%
5 pints (tails?)
30%, 27%, 23%, 20%, 20%

The ""heads"" had a solvent-y smell while the ""tails"" had a sour wet-sock smell. The ""heart"" were DELICIOUS!
I had originally planned to just toss the entire run into a bucket and save up several of these strip runs for a reflux spirit run, but then a bunch of friends and family came over so we cracked into the hearts. Now I only have 6 quarts (heads and tails) left, the pigs!

My plan now is to take the hearts of these strip runs, blend 'em and share them with people as ""Aguardiente"", a Guatemalen cane liquor I'm familiar with. Then I'll save back the tails and heads and when I end up with 40L or so, reflux 'em through a spirit run and call that my ""Krystal Klear Party Liquor"".

Either way, my first still run was a SMASHING success, the distillate was very drinkable, my friends and family had a great time and nobody so far has waken up with a hangover. This is a GREAT recipe.

Oh yeah... I poured all the backset back into my fermenters, recharged with more sugar, nutrients and water and then pitched some more yeast this morning."