logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline arich211  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 8:46:14 AM(UTC)
arich211

Groups: Registered

I have seen a recipe using just water, sugar tomatoe paste,yeast does any no how well this works I made a mash using sweet feed and it was way messy and time consumming trying to filter it
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 9:11:12 AM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

"
Originally Posted by: arich211 Go to Quoted Post
I have seen a recipe using just water, sugar tomatoe paste,yeast does any no how well this works I made a mash using sweet feed and it was way messy and time consumming trying to filter it

It's Tried & True............ Works everytime:

This recipe is for a 6.5 gallon wash (25 Liters) & Will yield 10% ABV wash (2.5 quarts) of ethanol.

Ingredients:

10 lbs Sugar (dissolved in hot water)
6oz tomato paste (Yeast Nutrient)
1 Tbsp DAP (Optional but Recommended)
1/3 cup bakers yeast (2 2/3 ounces)

Instructions:
(1)Dissolve 6 ounces of tomato paste in 5 liters of hot water.

(2)Dissolve 10 pounds of sugar in 10 liters of hot water stiring until all of the sugar is dissolved and not gritty.

(3)Pour the dissolved sugar into the fermenter with the tomato paste.

(4)Top off the fermenter to 25 liters with cold water and stir well.

(5)Once the wash has cooled to 80 degrees Fahrenheit or less add 1/3 cup of bakers yeast and stir well.

(6)Place lid on fermenter add airlock and allow to ferment for 7 days or so.

."
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline arich211  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2012 10:02:35 AM(UTC)
arich211

sounds too easy nothing to strain or filter
Offline John Barleycorn  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 12:36:59 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"arich,

What Bayou describes is a great recipe ... VERY forgiving. Instead of DAP I use 1/8 tsp epsom salts and the juice squeezed from half of a lemon ... and it still finishes just fine.

--JB"
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:11:29 PM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

Keep in mind that with this wash as well as any other, The %ABV is how much pure ethanol is in the wash, so with this recipe for example on a striping run it will strip out to over a gallon of high proof alcohol.
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:28:36 AM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
Hey Bayou..now do a person need to do a stripping run with a reflux model or is that deal reserved for Pot Stills? If so how would a person make a reflux still strip and what would be the intermittent steps..like diluting with water and running yet again etc..and the final goal of the end product as opposed to just running it once. Thanks.

Well all you have to do is simply use the upper portion of the column with the packing removed. The only water lines you use is the ones for the condenser.

It is a good idea though to put one copper mesh roll in the upper portion of the column when using it as a pot still, you always need copper in the vapor path to remove sulphates.

I never run my washes with the reflux column. I do stripping runs in pot mode and then when I have enough low wines to charge the boiler, I dilute it to 40%ABV and then do a spirit run using the complete reflux column."
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
Offline Bayou-Ruler  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:12:33 PM(UTC)
Bayou-Ruler

Man
United States

"
Originally Posted by: bigwheel Go to Quoted Post
I sorta got the picture on how to turn it into a pot still. Guess I am looking for the motivational factor. What are we trying to accomplish here to save the stuff and run it all over yet again? Is this striving for the perfect neutral maybe? Just guessing..lol.

The motivational factor is speed and productivity. Stripping runs are hard and fast, the objective is to get as much of the ethanol out of the wash as fast as possible.

By running reflux spirit runs with all low wines it will allow you to get a purer high proof product faster and more of it. I'm only after high proof ethanol."
Bayou Ethanol
AFP-LA-15027
www.bayouethanol.com
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:39:01 PM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Well it seem a big enough pain in the coola to run it once let alone twice. Guess I am still in the drinking phase. My old chum claims the ethanol in the gas is ruining the hoses on his high dollar 10 k used zero turn radius lawn mower. Seems like Alfgore may be playing a trick on us trying to use hooch for fuel. But then when a person thinks on it ..he invented the Internet and Global Warming...hanging chads in Fla. etc. lol. You fixing to get me spitting shine on the keyboard again.
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:51:09 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Well not sure how often you check in over here but will say the yeast likes tomato sauce much mo betta than the paste version..at least judging how fast the last ferment took off. Now what kinda living enzymes could live through the canning process before they got their proteins denatured? Or whatever it takes to kill them. I am still discussing this kinda stuff with some dumb yankees. The tomato thing is a nutrient..not an enzyme right? I would not like to make a trip up there to get them straight..lol. Great Vodky on the paste recipe by the way..but think I already tole you this.
Offline rasher  
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 06, 2012 3:53:55 PM(UTC)
rasher

"I'm making my first batch of this wash and I'm using Distillers Yeast instead of bakers yeast. Can someone verify how much I need to pitch? The original recipe says 1/3 cup bakers yeast (2 2/3 ounces) but the suggestion below that is 1 tablespoon of distillers yeast.

1 Tablespoon is enough? Really?

I got two 25L batches of wash showing 1.070
91.4F and I'm just waiting for it to cool before pitching tomorrow. Please advise how much distillers yeast to pitch.

Thanks, y'all!"
Offline rasher  
#11 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 7:56:07 AM(UTC)
rasher

"I stirred my buckets with my paint mixer paddle attached to the power drill and tossed in 1 Tbsp of distillers yeast each. Temp this morning of the was was about 82F.
Set the lids on top loosely. An hour later, there's a little bubbly on top, but not a lot. Shall I give it a good stir with the drill when I get home from work?

What point do the airlocks go on?"
Offline John Barleycorn  
#12 Posted : Monday, May 07, 2012 2:18:37 PM(UTC)
John Barleycorn

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
"Rasher,

There are good reasons why ""Tried and True"" recipes are tried and true. Stick with the recipe until you get consistent results, then you can experiment if you're so inclined. If you put in the amount of yeast that was called for, you probably would have had a nice thick krausen within an hour or so after pitching.

If you have an airlock, put it on immediately. The whole point is to keep bad things out -- especially if you don't have a vigorous fermentation going -- and by the sound of things, you don't But unless you sanitized your paint mixer before dropping it in your wash, that may not matter anyway.

--JB"
Offline rasher  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, May 09, 2012 9:20:03 AM(UTC)
rasher

Two days after pitching, I got the airlocks on and they're burping away. Not violent or frequent, but maybe one good burp every 3-5 seconds. Temps in my garage are really cool this week. Nighttime temps in the high-50s and my buckets are probably holding around 70F. I figger the cool temps are keeping things running slowly.

My OG was 1.073 two days ago and now I'm showing 1.068-ish, so SOMETHING's happening.

BTW, I used the paint mixer to stir the sugar into my 180F wash water, so I figure that sanitized it pretty good.
Offline rasher  
#14 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 9:34:44 AM(UTC)
rasher

I don't know if this is a dumb question or not, but how are y'all taking SG measurements during your ferments? I've been using a turkey baster to get a sample from below the froth, but it's still full of particles (yeast hulls, I assume). Is that the best way to get a measurement?
Offline badbill2  
#15 Posted : Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:53:08 PM(UTC)
badbill2

I would like to get a reliable measurement but can't get one with grain. I tried to skim it but I don't trust the reading?
Offline heeler  
#16 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2012 3:08:42 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
"Gents, you only need 2 readings, one before you add yeast and the other when you think its done fermenting. badbill you said you could'nt get one with a grain mash... not sure what you mean sense you only need liquid for the measurement. I infered that you ment the grain was getting in the way of a measurement????
You said -- i tried to skim it but dont trust it? Again confused!! Sorry.
Try this...after fermenting for how ever long you think it needs to finish you should be able to -skim- or dip out (or use a wine thief) enough to check the FG or final gravity of the wash, or you could just sink the hydrometer in the fermenter if you wish.
Also someone asked about airlocks...as soon as you add your yeast put on the airlock and leter go theres no reason to keep peeking inside -- if you were patient berfore adding yeast and used a tried and true recipe well it should start in a little while and whalaaaa...hooch."
Offline badbill2  
#17 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2012 3:24:08 AM(UTC)
badbill2

"I don't have any trouble fermenting. I understand the theory of the hydrometer. I don't know if the wash, being heavy, even with the grain filtered out will affect the reading. Seems to me that the specific gravity would be altered unless the test liquid was completely clear. I do trust my taste and I can usually tell if there is any sugar left over. Airlocks don't lie very often. Just wait till there are no more bubbles?

Thanks"
Offline heeler  
#18 Posted : Friday, May 11, 2012 5:57:18 AM(UTC)
heeler

Groups: Registered, Moderator

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
badbill, the longer you ferment things you find that the lack of airlock activity doesn't always mean fermentation is done. It might be that the vigorous stage is done and its settling in for the long haul. Thats where your hydrometer comes in if you so choose to use it. I never use one for the finish of fermentation in hooch cause I just leave it for 15 or 20 days (just lazy I guess). I've never seen a wash or mash thats perfectly clear - some sugar washes ar clearer than others but a grain mash will be heavier and darker than a sugar wash and most folks seem to get a true reading. ==== Thats just my expirience though.
Offline rasher  
#19 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 2:55:04 AM(UTC)
rasher

"I've got two big buckets of Tomato Paste wash going.
Used 1 Tbsp of distillers yeast.
Started last Sunday (11 days ago):
SG when I pitched the yeast: 1.074
This morning reads: 1.030
Airlocks are still bubbling at about the same pace as they have for 1-1/2 weeks- slow and steady (one bubble every 3 seconds or so).

The fermenters are in the garage, and it's been chilly here (upper 50s and low 60s at night, never over 80 in the daytime), but does this seem kinda slow to anyone?

I was planning to strip on Saturday (2 more days), but doesn't sound like this wash will be ready, huh? Should I let it sit and keep cooking?"
Offline rasher  
#20 Posted : Thursday, May 17, 2012 6:31:11 AM(UTC)
rasher

"I'm planning on beer stripping this batch and then doing 2-3 more batches, stripping them, putting it all together and then a spirit run. Does that sound about right?

I was hoping I could get these ferments done in one week, so I could so my strip runs once a week on Saturdays..."