logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Monday, January 17, 2005 3:52:50 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

This is a little tip for whiskey mashes. I do not use turbos for whiskey mash. But sometimes the mash seems to really slow down. So all i do is add a table spoon or two of turbo, and it off to the races.
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2005 1:29:00 AM(UTC)

Excellant, your addind teh nutrients too the yeaste not yeaste,turbo's are just full of nutients and starters they should be a pure yeaste,HOWEVER lavlin champaign can do the same thing,simply by adding the nutrients.This is an excellant idea.turbos are expensive.You can stretch them out buy using nutrients too enhance fermentation.dominate yeaste the yeaste is the same.It is a high yeild alc. tolerant yeaste the nutients make it a turbo don't let them discurage you. your idea is also used by me.I tend to only use 1/2 pouch of turbo grow a good 500bil. yeaste strain and add too mash, whith super results.Yeaste multiplies,take champaign yeaste and add 1/2 cup orange juice and 1 cup of sugar to a gal. jug.let set for a week whith 1/2 teaspoon of yeiste nutriant let it fill whith yeaste and add too mash and tell me sugar doesn't set it on fire. Sincerely brewman 34
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 18, 2005 2:27:00 AM(UTC)

While I do not intend to try to dissuade you, I do need to point out for clarification that the yeast strains used for many turbo's are different from standard wine or champagne yeasts, and are in many cases more than just alcohol tolerant, but temperature tolerant as well. Also, while a single package of wine yeast contains 5g of yeast, a turbo will have several times this- usually a full pitching of yeast which reduces any lag time and the negative results that can result. Finally, there are more than 20 different minerals, nutrients, and vitamins in a good turbo. Yeast is a living organism. Using a single nutrient with it is like allowing a person to eat only one item- you will get far from optimal results.