logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline maverick  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2008 8:20:52 AM(UTC)
maverick

Groups: Registered

"I saw that Wal Mart was selling large bags of deer corn (dried and hard) in their garden section. Does anyone know or has anyone made whiskey by mashing this type of corn? The bags are less than $10 and I believe it was about 20 lbs...

A quick response would be appreciated as I am sure this is a seasonal. If it will work, I will stock up! cheers."
Offline scotty  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2009 12:15:35 PM(UTC)
scotty

Groups: Registered, Moderator

"
Originally Posted by: maverick Go to Quoted Post
I saw that Wal Mart was selling large bags of deer corn (dried and hard) in their garden section. Does anyone know or has anyone made whiskey by mashing this type of corn? The bags are less than $10 and I believe it was about 20 lbs...

A quick response would be appreciated as I am sure this is a seasonal. If it will work, I will stock up! cheers.

Deer are very sensative animals and any grains that can be fed to them are safe and should work well"
Offline Wade  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2009 1:08:20 PM(UTC)
Wade

He probably wanted a quicker responce!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Its good to know though for all newbies.
Offline mtnwalker2  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2009 1:10:13 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
I saw that Wal Mart was selling large bags of deer corn (dried and hard) in their garden section. Does anyone know or has anyone made whiskey by mashing this type of corn? The bags are less than $10 and I believe it was about 20 lbs...

A quick response would be appreciated as I am sure this is a seasonal. If it will work, I will stock up! cheers.

Is it cracked? if not you will have to do it yourself and its tough. Cracked corn- chicken feed is about $5 to 7 for a 50# bag.

Unless you are planning to malt the corn this would be a better way to go. Even if you malt it, you will still have to crush or break it.
Let us know your fmethod and we can help further."
Offline Arkie  
#5 Posted : Monday, August 03, 2009 12:04:15 AM(UTC)
Arkie

Some deer corn is treated to keep from molding and has a pink coating. I'm not sure what it is but would check into it if it's pink.
Offline luis  
#6 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:51:20 PM(UTC)
luis

"I had a friend who gave me a bag of deer corn. I talked to the guy at the feed store where it came from. He said it was very clean and should be no problem. I malted it to where the sprouts came out about an inch or so, removed the growths after that. Put it in a heavy freezer bag, smacked it some with a mallet while it was still moist and stuck it in a pot.

Repeated the process for the next two hours until I had enough in the pot and swore I'd never do it again. There wasn't a high % of alcohol when the mash was done fermenting. I went through distilling 5 gallons to end up with about 2 quarts of whiskey after three runs through the EZ Still. Good stuff, but a lot of work.

That was about 10 pounds of corn. I still have 40# more (ugh). My next time I am planning to put a couple pounds of cracked barley in (heating it up like you're supposed to-- 2 hours at 140-150ºF to convert the starch), and seeing how that goes. Still, lots of work.

Question: If you don't malt, how do you convert the starch? Does amalase work? I'm planning on just getting crushed chicken feed corn next time, sounds a LOT easier."
Offline mtnwalker2  
#7 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2009 3:06:09 PM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

Try the UJSM no cook method for a few iterations. Get some cracked chicken feed. Deer corn is hard, high dent corn, without a lot of starch. Simular to pop corn. To my way of thinking, malting and mashing just isn't worth the time, expense and work for a taste not much different from proper easy no cook style. In the long run, its the oak ageing done right that is the quality builder. That and some aereation.
Offline Cornbread  
#8 Posted : Sunday, January 03, 2010 12:40:30 PM(UTC)
Cornbread

"I'm too new at this to compare what tastes best..but, I got some liquid malt from Whole Foods grocery store. 5 pounds sugar, 5 gal water, 1 can liquid grocery store malt, yeast................GEEZ it is so good. So easy. Soaked with charred wood.
I am now trying to make corn likker using a large box of ground up corn flakes. I hear it is good."
Offline LWTCS  
#9 Posted : Monday, January 04, 2010 12:14:26 PM(UTC)
LWTCS

"[COLOR=""red""]I am now trying to make corn likker using a large box of ground up corn flakes. I hear it is good. [/COLOR]

Thats not really corn likker CB. Its still a sugarhead. Me and pumpman were trading off Faux corn likker a while back to see who's experiment was most tolerable.

Macerate some sweet can corn in your (cornflake) low wines for a few days then refridgerate to let the startch jellyfish settle to the bottom of your vessel.

Then run. It ain't real but the corn does carry over. And its easy peasy fun."
Offline Cornbread  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 05, 2010 7:34:39 AM(UTC)
Cornbread

What does "Mascerate" mean to you?
Offline mtnwalker2  
#11 Posted : Friday, March 05, 2010 8:29:29 AM(UTC)
mtnwalker2

"
Originally Posted by: Cornbread Go to Quoted Post
What does ""Mascerate"" mean to you?

To chew. Many native peoples all over the world made beer by chewing ane then spitting the grains into a ferment vessel. The spit included enzymes needed for conversion and the chewing exposed the starches to the enzymes.

Still done in certain areas of the world."
Offline wendellbaker  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 20, 2011 1:26:44 PM(UTC)
wendellbaker

"

2 years later. Too late?

I just ran 15 pounds of deer corn through a mill, got a combination of essentially barely cracked corn and then corn meal. I added that to about 9-10 gallons of water (actually 4.5 gallons first and made a ridiculously thick goop, then added 5 more gallons to make a thinner mash. I'm letting that sit overnight and planning on adding 7 pounds of rye and 4 pounds of 6row barley and enough boiling water to bring it up to 150-155. I'll let that sit for 30 minutes, cool it quickly and add 2 packages of whiskey yeast and see what happens. It's my first all grain batch and i may not do this again the same way. This deer corn is not ideal at all."