logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2005 1:12:50 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Hi all, I'm just starting out and, as a newbie, I have a question which you veterans may be able to help me out with.
I have decided to run my reflux still using water from a submersible pump located in a large water butt.
Can anyone tell me what flow rate of pump I should buy. Is 400 liters per hour ,variable, sufficient or should I go for something more expensive, say, 2000 liters per hour ,variable,. I don't want to spend a fortune on a 2000 liter pump if it is going to be massive overkill.
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2005 2:24:37 AM(UTC)

http://www.water-pumps-online.com/PonyPumpSelfPriming115Volt360GPHModel50AC110B. html

Funny, I was thinking about the same question recently. Do you think a pump like this ,360 gph, would be suitable? Maybe a water relief outlet prior to entering the still itself, to slow the amount of cooling water, if needed?
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 12, 2005 3:15:46 AM(UTC)

Working on the flowrate of the pump that Brewhaus sell ,315 gallons per hour, I think it wise to go for the 2000 Liter pump and use the variable adjustment to control the flow as necessary.

The pump I am considering is one you can buy from any aquarium/fish shop. A link to one can be found attached.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57230&item=4348773031&r d=1
#4 Posted : Monday, January 31, 2005 2:01:50 PM(UTC)

Rick...do I assume then that Brehaus's submersible pump can handle the 4-5 feet of lift and still give a sufficient flow rate and will not burn out over a 10 hour run???

Thanks
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2005 7:47:09 AM(UTC)

Drew, thanks for the response. I bought one of the Brewhaus pumps and will give it a try...didn't come with any instructions though I assume it is intuitive...I will have to reduce the hose diameter any idea if that will cause problems?
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 09, 2005 11:02:20 AM(UTC)

hi how do i get the smell and taste from my base alchol for vodka do i use carbon and how neil
#7 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2005 7:14:18 AM(UTC)

Ripley,
The hose package i got with the still unit consists of a 1/2' , i think, cooling tube. the outside diameter of this hose, conviently and probably coincidentally, fits very snugly into the pump attachment that has the flow regulator ,twist knob, on it. i just slide it into that and it holds very well. if you have a bigger or smaller outside diameter hose, then you'll have to adjust the attachment or modify a bit. good luck.
#8 Posted : Friday, February 11, 2005 7:18:20 AM(UTC)

Mr Macdonald,
We'll need some more info on your process to accurately diagnose your evils concerning your spirit. I.E. what type of still, what type of wash, and all that. The carbon can help finish your product, but there possibly might be a few more issues that could be changed in your distillation procedure that may be benificial. let us know