logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline onreybear  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 25, 2008 10:19:30 AM(UTC)
onreybear

Groups: Registered

I own a 2.5Liter COPPER ALEMBICS... that I can make good quality but very very small runs... IT has been suggested that I get the ESSENTIAL EXTRACTOR II series and all that it
requires

I would need to run on an electric hat source not LP or gas due to
fire

and the area I live in... I also have read about these AMAZING STILLS that are plastic buckets and use drop in adjustable heaters... I am only interested in GRAIN or WHISKEY aspects not BEER or wine and I would like to make larger runs NOT HUGE but a few liters to a gallon or so at a time after one or two runs and I wish to get into aging etc... I do not have a great deal to invest so I am looking at the
plastic

units as they run about $100 for the GOLD or best unit... SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT TO BUY also if I did save the money what about the COUNTER TOP DISTILLATION UNIT that is complete... if the plastic units will work and allow me to get into the craft quicker can someone suggest if they are OK....
I have had great suggestions from everyone but I just am on a DISABILITY INCOME and I need something that is complete due to I do not ride well and I am several hours from HOME DEPOT ETC... I do not mean to be a NAG and I know that I am asking for something that is not the REALLY BEST way to go but I need help an please can someone out there offer me the
help

in the direction .. MONEY is important and $300 or so is a fortune and will take me 6 months to save just that.. THANKS in ADVANCE and
thanks for

everyone
who

has offered info so far but now I am into the reality of cost
and

what to do.... PLEASE HELP
*)o(* ONREY BEAR
Offline davey_homebrewer  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 26, 2008 2:13:43 AM(UTC)
davey_homebrewer

"if price is consideration, consider stovetop setup by converting a pressure cooker and it would be fine for small runs and is easy to do with small money outlay. This forum or distiller.org likely has suggestions on how to build one. Search and read.

PS2 is fine equipment too, and is ready to go, but is higher cost, as you know, so just depends on what you want to spend.

Good luck"
Offline ratflinger  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 27, 2008 1:52:49 PM(UTC)
ratflinger

Be careful of the Amazing Stills. It has been reported that there are problems with the heater element's plastic parts deteriorating to the point of failure. There is an electrocution hazard.
Offline onreybear  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 29, 2008 9:32:47 AM(UTC)
onreybear

Thank you one and all for the information I greatly appreaciate the reply and info..
*)o(* onrey bear
Offline brian hale  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2008 7:51:50 PM(UTC)
brian hale

i have not had any problems with eletricheat or melting
Offline worthit444  
#6 Posted : Sunday, January 18, 2009 9:55:55 AM(UTC)
worthit444

Speaking of the heater, what's with the $40 price everywhere? If I were to look for an aquarium heater that was only 150w, I wouldn't be spending any more than $20. The only issue is that that heater can only be set for ~32 Celsius.
Offline Stache  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 23, 2009 12:50:40 PM(UTC)
Stache

I just bought a PSII ESSENTIAL EXTRACTOR II I stumbled across at a wine supply shop for $250.00 + tax. It was the last one and the guy just wanted to make space. I've done four distillations with it so far and I'm loving it. I found a 1000w single burner heater at Walgreens Pharmacy for around $10.00.
Offline michael2000  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 25, 2009 2:29:21 PM(UTC)
michael2000

"
Originally Posted by: ratflinger Go to Quoted Post
Be careful of the Amazing Stills. It has been reported that there are problems with the heater element's plastic parts deteriorating to the point of failure. There is an electrocution hazard.

I can't argree I've been using mine for more than a year.

To Onreybear. This still is inexpencive but you should know that it works differently than the reflux etc. The element is set to prodce the correct heat but as everyone should know water does come along with your distillate. you use 10 l. of wash per run. Tipically using a 20% turbo wash the first 1.5 l. is about 45% abv the next 1.5 l. is about 38- 40% and it drops from there. Good luck. If your strapped for cash in my opinion this is the way to go. MB"
Offline Bamadan  
#9 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2009 1:04:38 AM(UTC)
Bamadan

"You may want to look into converting a crock pot. Small operation to begin with and you can get into it a little more as you learn the craft. All that is needed is to modify the top of the pot and design you a small condenser. Fairly simple to do.
Good Luck and enjoy."
Offline Wade  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2009 3:13:12 PM(UTC)
Wade

I think a pressure cooker would be better then a crock pot.
Offline laneflash  
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 01, 2009 5:57:12 AM(UTC)
laneflash

"I am new to forums so hopefully my picture is attached to this reply.
This pressure cooker still is something that you could make fairly inexpensively if you look around for the parts. Stainless steel of course for the boiler. Notice that the output spout is removable, which is helpful for a few reasons. Also the brass union is important : 1)removal for cleaning 2)stores better 3) you can buy a second union, add a 2' column between the boiler and condenser (converting to a reflux still).
My little still works good but the coupling that I had welded in the lid is only 3/4"". If I were you I would go to a 1 1/4"" dia. You can get a more efficient reflux column if you decided to add one. You can always make the hole smaller but not the reverse!
I haven't used this still much because of its size so my suggestion would be find the largest pressure cooker you can.
Good Luck!"
laneflash attached the following image(s):
P1030062.jpg (27kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
Offline Wade  
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 01, 2009 8:23:22 AM(UTC)
Wade

Nice lttle set up lane!
Offline laneflash  
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 01, 2009 8:54:53 AM(UTC)
laneflash

Now I know your plans.... convert that grape wine into "AQUA VITAE"!!!!! Good Thinking! Better for you too! That wine will kill you!
Offline Wade  
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 01, 2009 11:28:39 AM(UTC)
Wade

I will distill some of these once I get a good hang of this.