logo                   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Offline biofuel  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 06, 2008 12:04:35 AM(UTC)
biofuel

Groups: Registered

"Hello to everyone,
I was looking into brewing alcohol as a fuel supplement and read that you can operate a vehicle with fruit juices fermented and distilled

http://www.caradvice.com.au/334...car-runs-on-fruit-juice/

Also I was pleased to see that Prince Charles has a Aston Martin that runs on wine that he recieved for his 16th birthday.Cool

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2...aston-mart_n_110033.html

I wanted to used the least expensive source of juice available and wanted to know if any other members have tried this method?

Can I achive a higher % of alcohol with grain basewd mash or a fruit dirived mash?Confused

Any help would be appreciated."
Offline Bruce_in_Kelowna  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 31, 2008 2:00:27 PM(UTC)
Bruce_in_Kelowna

"Hi, a little bit of a belated reply here, but I hope I can help.

First of all, anything with a high sugar concentration will work best. Grain based mashes are mostly used to achieve a certain flavour, for whiskey or other fine spirits. For fuel, you want high sugar, low cost.

I've heard of people buying cheap white sugar from wholesalers as a waste product. All of the spilled or spoiled sugar is swept off the floor, and can be bought in large amounts, cheaper than normal.

With that said, it is usually best to find a company with a waste product that is high in sugar. Food processing plants, wineries, sugar refineries, or any food wholesaler are all good options. After all, if you can make alcohol from potatoes and grain, most other foods will work just as well for fuel purposes.

Hope this helps!"
Offline johnpierce79  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 06, 2009 8:26:51 AM(UTC)
johnpierce79

"Although fossil fuels have become the dominant energy resource for the modern world, alcohol has been used as a fuel throughout history. The first four aliphatic alcohols are of interest as fuels because they can be synthesized biologically, and they have characteristics which allow them to be used in current engines. One advantage shared by all four alcohols is octane rating. Biobutanol has the advantage that its energy density is closer to gasoline than the other alcohols (while still retaining over 25% higher octane rating) - however, these advantages are outweighed by disadvantages (compared to ethanol and methanol) concerning production, for instance. Generally speaking, the chemical formula for alcohol fuel is CnH2n+1OH. The larger n is, the higher the energy density.

Alcohol fuels are usually of biological rather than petroleum sources. When obtained from biological sources, they are known as bioalcohols (e.g. bioethanol). It is important to note that there is no chemical difference between biologically produced alcohols and those obtained from other sources. However, ethanol that is derived from petroleum should not be considered safe for consumption as this alcohol contains about 5% methanol and may cause blindness or death. This mixture may also not be purified by simple distillation, as it forms an azeotropic mixture.

Bioalcohols are still in developmental and research stages. Use of optimized crops with higher yields of energy, elimination of pesticides and fertilizers based on petroleum, and a more rigorous accounting process will help improve the feasibility of bioalcohols as fuels."
Offline al_the_chemist  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 21, 2009 7:31:58 AM(UTC)
al_the_chemist

"I agree with Bruce.

Fruit is actually one of the more expensive ways to go if all you're interested in is fuel.

If you do find a big plant with a high sugar content, cheap byproduct then its the best way to go.
If not I find grains are the 2nd cheapest. You can by them by bulk for animal feed. Wheat or cracked corn. Corn actually has a really good ethanol output."